• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

DIY steel targets . . . continued

Re: DIY steel targets . . . continued

Just built it today

Its about 5'8" tall and can extend the height as needed
by switching out the 3" nipples (located between the 2 tees towards the bottom) for any length

The middle of the skull(big dog steel) is at 54" and at a slight angle back.
Actually the hole stand sits back at a slight angle

Now I just need to shoot it!!!

AL

IMG_1280.jpg

IMG_1282.jpg

IMG_1283.jpg

Re: DIY steel targets . . . continued

If you put some lawnmower wheels on the front legs of ALNKAL's design, you can just wheel it out to the range without having to hump it. The back legs should dig in enough to keep the thing from walking away when you hit it.

Spider targets

I been building these light weight stands I call spider targets.there free cause scrap material and I have a welder! Pretty simple lets see if I can figure out how to post a pic...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 49
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 41
I have fire hose, bailing wire, solid stands and chain. Fire hose lasts the longest but solid stands and chain produce more noise and a better sound. Chain also moves more than hose so it's a little easier to see hits really far off.

ta4emune.jpg

Here is mine, I wasn't finished when I took the picture, but the plates are AR500 1/2" from Shootingtargets7.com and are 4", 8", 12", and a 16" not pictured.

It seems to work pretty well for 338 Lapua

Let us know how well it works. I am always worried about the legs and chain taking rounds.

I found some "hardened" chain at Home Depot that would solve the chain problem.

I built a target stand several years ago that used Angle iron for legs. Might just add a piece of angle iron, welded to one side of the pipe.

If the target is far enough away a hit isn't as big a deal. A .308 round at 1K has less energy than a 9mm at it's muzzle. I shoot 9mm against plain hot rolled steel plate at 25' all the time and it barely dents it.

With the angle iron only a "square on" hit would do any damage and then not much at the long range.

Fire hose, conveyor belt, etc is good but I've found that chain still makes the steel "clang" louder. The belting and hose tends to dampen the noise.

What do you call the tube you use as a hammer? Did you make it yourself?
Thanks

Last edited:

not exacly what i foud on internet
it is a stake driver

Last edited:
ta4emune.jpg

Here is mine, I wasn't finished when I took the picture, but the plates are AR500 1/2" from Shootingtargets7.com and are 4", 8", 12", and a 16" not pictured.

wow, some of you have some egregiously dangerous target placement. i mean sure were all very snipery and never miss but dang...a garage for a backstop? a breezeway between buildings? seems pretty risky, and dont those townships have ordinances prohibiting target shooting in close proximity to dwellings? ar500 or mild steel no matter, id feel better with a dirt backstop and out of city limits, call me an ole fogey.

ta4emune.jpg

wow, some of you have some egregiously dangerous target placement. i mean sure were all very snipery and never miss but dang...a garage for a backstop? a breezeway between buildings? seems pretty risky, and dont those townships have ordinances prohibiting target shooting in close proximity to dwellings? ar500 or mild steel no matter, id feel better with a dirt backstop and out of city limits, call me an ole fogey.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b...0-6841-4A97-9A0A-E0C1C86DCA3E_zpshlzvuhge.jpg

Does this make you feel better? The wife was getting a little upset with me using her Lexus for a backstop.
4u7abyby.jpg

Here's a couple I made for my folks for their birthdays. Only shot with pistols so far, but the plates are 1/4" steel. The first one is a dueling tree and the second is just a plate rack with a pull cord reset.
IMG_20130713_220906_336_zpsf4a7fc4d.jpg

IMG_20130707_185631_054_zps9e8db629.jpg

IMG_20130422_213615_452_zpsfe2f2834.jpg

IMG_20130422_213832_855_zps12628af8.jpg

I did the old plow blade idea.

308 @ 500 yds.

500yd.jpg

308 @ 750 yds.

750yds.jpg

Does not like 338 Lapua.. cracks them very badly as it goes thru..

These are wood framed.. (didn't know any better till now)..

Thanks folks for the ideas.

I picked up 3/4" re-bar today and will be doing the 3/4 or 1" pipe T idea to keep it simple.. I do have the T post driver.. :)

My range so they won't need to be taken down daily..

More T post targets

I've been working on this target system for several months now with the idea of offering them for sale once the R&D is complete.
My goals are to
1. Have a target system that is easy to assemble on the range
2. Have the hanging system protected from bullet damage
3. uncomplicated with as few parts as necessary.
4. Be reactive so hits are easy to spot

It doesn't get any easier and cheaper than this.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/f0ZMclPDM3M" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This target uses a single bolt hole located 3" down / centered with a chain bolted to it. Notice the bell like ring it allows the target to have. This target is REACTIVE as shown in the slow motion clips. It stays put even under the pounding of the 12 gauge slug.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FoNLcEtFo_o

Last edited:
I build these out of 3/4" solid rod.. They stick in the ground and are very portable.. Hard ground can be challenging but where I live it's pretty sandy... Great ideas by all.