• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fieldcraft DIY things you have made

Shooter@Scope

Private
Minuteman
May 22, 2010
Northnumberland region, PA
Post up PICS of DIY items you have made, for example drag bag, shooting mat, ghillies, rifle rear and front rests, etc..
Show how-to if possible.
This is my first post as I have been lurking around this site for several days, I feel very comfortable with this forum!

Re: DIY things you have made

I have not made anything, but have stayed at Holiday Inn express on many occasions.....
FWIW

I made a tool to for the foregrip nut on a Remington 870. A simple piece of 1" x 1/8" hot rolled steel about 6" long and clamped in a shop vise -- it works like a charm, and costs a ton less than the $22 that Midway wants for a tool made for the same purpose.

It's multi-use, as well! Not only removes the forend nut, but installs it as well.
smile.gif

just the thread I was looking for
smile.gif

after recently taking a TFTT precision tactical class I've decided to remove the Blackhawk rifle rest from my pack. After removing it I thought if there might be something useful I could do with it when I remembered user JohnDoe had a cool Leica bino/scope holder for tripod and perhaps I could emulate that.

so here's the stock pad (normally would attach with MOLLE)

197ecy.jpg

then using tiny screws I attached a 1/4" square board made of some kind of hobby plastic. thin plywood would be fine too.
I drilled a hole and forced a 1/4x20 nut into the hole and secured with glue. this will be the adapter for various tripods. I also attached felt feet so if I want to put it on the hood of a car it won't slide around.

2arvd4.jpg

and now, it works great to just drop on a spotter like this USO or a rifle stock for shooting from odd angles/elevations:

zvdaa9.jpg

and for binos as well. I put on a strap to help secure the optic if I have to grab and go:

[img:center]
2lsta1z.jpg
[/img]

dang it. why does only one picture appear? I guess you'll have to click the individual links until I get this figured out. sorry.

Your picture link has extra "
"

Good idea. Been meaning to pick up one of those small bipods.

Ghillie I made-

DSCI0366-1.jpg

DSCI0373.jpg

DSCI0371.jpg

DSCI0369.jpg

DSCI0375.jpg

Drag Bag type thing

DSCI0190.jpg

DSCI0191.jpg

I made a chisel the other day out of round tool steel to inlet a sling swivel. That was pretty easy you just need a round file. I have also made reloading benches, duck hunting layout boats.

Nothing tactical yet...but I am in the planning process of designing a custom muzzle break for my rifle. I like to dabble in a lot of different areas.

schweet grips! I just might try my hand at something along those lines. too bad I totally suck at carpentry. but...only one way to learn.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sagebrush</div><div class="ubbcode-body">schweet grips! I just might try my hand at something along those lines. too bad I totally suck at carpentry. but...only one way to learn. </div></div>

It was surprisingly easy.
I checked out my local art supply store(Pearls Art) they had thin sheets of hardwoods.
Which helped because they're the same thickness as the stock grips. Then some curving with the blade a touch with the dermal, sanding and done.
Now just need to finish them and find other types woods to curve up.

Made a picatinny adaptor so I could tripod mount my backup scope as a spotter.

Ordered a pice of pic blank from Brownell's.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/sid=6066/sku/5_7__Picatinny_Base_Stock

Drilled/tapped it for 1/4-20 thread pitch.

Now it's real easy to use my backup scope as a field spotter with reticle, and plenty of eye relief. Just put scope on the base, and finger tighten the bolts.

tripodadaptor.jpg

Underside, the two smaller holes are to accomodate the locking lug on the tripod adaptor, and prevent the pic base from rotating when it shouldn't.

P9090006.jpg

Thanks Top for the closeups..Im gonna do one this week with a bigger optic and post some pics..

I like it a lot. Especially having a few inches of eye relief. I wear eyeglasses, and most spotting scopes are kinda thin on eye relief. This works out pretty good, and as you mentioned, the second scope has a useful purpose besides being extra junk in the pack.

I made a scope level out of a scope ring, the base cut off with a hack saw and the spirit tube from a level from the lumber yard JB welded to it

Rifle level made by doing a ball-mill crosscut through a Burris XTR ring-top that has a picatinny rail built-in.

Cut a steel tube with a viewing port and picatinny cut to slide onto the ring-top. After sliding the tube onto the ring, slide in a level vial from a cheap level and seal the ends with Black RTV.

It's very solid. Been banged around a bit with no problems.
CIMG0204.JPG

for rimfire ammo HOMEMADE RIM THICKNESS GAUGE

for any occasion:
LOW BUDGET .22 TRAINER - cheap h. made accessories - ACD / ARD / rails / light / cosine indicator

LOW BUDGET .22 TRAINER - tactical/o.sized bolt knob

didn't make the cheekpiece, but adapted an AR collapsible stock cheekpiece to a regular stock, will have to scroll down to get to it:
LOW BUDGET .22 TRAINER - basic stock modifications and cheek piece

snowgillie.jpg

doesn't come in camo, do it yourself using the krylon touch
drag_bag_2.jpg

forward grip, an old ar grip, bolted to a steel sawed off scope ring, then attached to a weaver base that served as a picatinny accessory type rail
835ultimag.jpg

too many other things to list.

a "trail timer" - cheap digital watches with fishing string "lassoed" and taped around the button for the stopwatch. tie the string across a trail about 3.5 feet high (as only large game will trip it) the stopwatch will tell you how long ago something passed through. under $10.00.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MontanaMarine</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Made a picatinny adaptor so I could tripod mount my backup scope as a spotter.

Ordered a pice of pic blank from Brownell's.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/sid=6066/sku/5_7__Picatinny_Base_Stock

Drilled/tapped it for 1/4-20 thread pitch.

Now it's real easy to use my backup scope as a field spotter with reticle, and plenty of eye relief. Just put scope on the base, and finger tighten the bolts. </div></div>

Now this is a great idea. I've used a tripod with thermals for at night while on OP, but never thought of adding a rail so a scope could mount to it. I'm going to have to show this to our replacements so they can experiment with it.

will be watching this thread- great stuff!

100_0263.jpg

This was my first knife.
100_0253.jpg

I made it in this, yes it use to be a kitchen sink.
100_0309.jpg

I also make these.

Im working on a fancy Safari Mauser in 458 Win. mag but its not done yet, and I have no pics.

I inletted the stock on my 5R for badger dbm. Dremel, a baldor wheel, was all I used (and a 12 pack of coors light)

NOTE: if you think you might ever want to sell the stock, pay someone to do it, its worth it for it to fit clean. BUT mine works perfect, thanks to the help of some on here. By the way, if you do do it, and cant get the bottom metal to slide in correctly, you might need to widen out your inlet. A lot of time was spent figureing wtf was wrong and everything looked to fit, but it wouldnt sit in the correct place, and rounds wouldnt cycle correctly.

Here's a few things I have made.

Some knives
2huntersandbanddsmall.jpg

This little Bird & Trout I kept for myself.
Birdandtroutsmall1.jpg

Another earlier one.
Knife6.jpg

Hobo Stove - works beautifully on just twigs.
HoboStove1small.jpg

HoboStove5small.jpg

HoboStove7small.jpg

Oil Lamp from MRE Tobasco bottle - not my original idea but forget where I got it from.
MiniLampLitsmall.jpg

Another knife I made - earlier one
Wildernessinhandsmall.jpg

Pikal style knife
0801small.jpg

My forge - made from part of a 120mm mortar tube with a propane torch for heat. Works great for the amount I do.
forgerunningcomplete.jpg

Some leatherwork. Don't do much of this anymore.
url]

url]

url]

url]

url]

And of course the greatest thing I've made.
url]

Thanks for indulging.

Charlie

Sagebrush, what tripod are you using to hold your binos? And did you paint it?

Ely Packframe. Shelter half/pack tarp for use with diamond hitch and Packframe. Stuff bags. Multipupose Scout Stave. Multilayer fleece blankets. Berets. Clothing. All manner of temporary and permanent cordage including several emergency tow ropes on the spot. I usually have a homemade rope machine and several thousand feet of orange farm/baling polytwine stowed in my car. Homemade rope turning machines. I have two homemade GP/Pioneering ropes out in the garage that are 45" long and have approximately (conservatively) 3500lb capacity. Canteens out of Saline containers, including pouches. Custom Cheek Pads and LOP adjustments. Custom forend rest adapters and bean bag rear bags. Scope bell caps, mirage tubes and mirage bands. Spanish Windlasses and A-frame load cranes. Car and foot bridges in outback areas. Cabins and lean-to's. Pioneering Kits. Custom design strip canoes. Canoe paddles, oars, and canoe rowing adapter frames.

Probably other stuff I can't summon from memory. I been around awhile...

Hmmm...

Fighting Knife from a Jeep Spring. Custom fitted handgrips for a High Standard Supermatic, and a Gold Cup 1911. Wind flags. Target Frames. Ambidextrous shooting benches.

Lots and lots of self designed, scratch built free flight flying models. Museum Scale Models. Some of my planes are/were on the <span style="font-style: italic">Intrepid</span>, a boat model or two may still be on display in the Newark NJ Museum. Many scratch built model rockets.

Not to mention probably several tens of thousands of handloaded cartridges.

Greg

I used a scope mount rail from my AR15 carry handle mount. It is
already tapped for 1/4 20 and screwed right on my tripod. Cost $10. I have bought several 12 ga pumps from pawn shops for low prices. I like to make these into defense/combat guns. Shorten barrels (plain) with a twist around pipe cutter and clean up with round file. Change out stock if desired. Add side saddle and shorten forearm grip with band saw. If I add a Black synthetic butt stock I will strip the finish from fore arm and spray paint it flat black. On top of reciever I tap it for picitinny scope rail which also acts as rear site. Barrel gets a ventilated hand guard, some have sights.Add a butt stock pack and sling swivels, gtg.Touch up metal with cold blue and a permanent marker.

made forms and poured some concrete for 10X12 underground room with 8 foot walls- well house root cellar storm shelter- can post if that qualifies

Portable shooting bench that I put together last week.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Lazy, your kid looks like she's about ready to throw a punch at you.
smile.gif

Cute kids</div></div>

Thanks, thats why I love that picture

I'm thinking you guys with the kids didn't really "Do it Yourself"

Good job non the less.
smile.gif

38933_1235373383209_1795441945_461939_3338557_n.jpg

This is Sgt Hernandez, KIA, 12/06. Tiger Force 2006, Baiji, Iraq
He cobbled up this hanging mount for his Barrett. I don't know exactly what targets he was hitting, but apparently it was quite popular for a while. I will ask for more info about how it was employed and how successful it was.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RADcustom</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm thinking you guys with the kids didn't really "Do it Yourself"

Good job non the less.
smile.gif
</div></div>

Ya it would be a sad day when I have to give the wife some "special K"

Mauser Chassis rifle.
Machine alloy chassis stock , Picatinny rail mount and rebarrel M 98 action . Fit wolf firing pin spring , Timney trigger and safety . Aiming adjustment from elevation fully up to fully down 600 MOA .Not finnished yet.
Mauser%20Chassis%20rifle.jpg