• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

DIY Vise Fixture

Trigger Monkey

Ronin
Minuteman
  • Apr 29, 2005
    Winchester Virginia
    I had this Magpul bipod mount and earlier today I was trying to figure out what to do with it. I didn't want to just drop it in a bin so I made a thing out of it for my vise.

Some scrap 1/4" aluminum angle, 10-32 tap, and voila....

20221121_192717.jpg

If I want I can secure a flat top upper, barreled action, anything picatinny, it doesn't seem like that will be a problem.

20221121_192832.jpg

Or I can throw an arca rail in there to secure a chassis, my scope mounting "jig", etc...

20221121_192804.jpg

I have some polymer vise blocks that slip into AICS magwells and AR vise blocks too but most my rifles have picatinny and/or arca interfaces on the underside. If I need to secure it to go hands free to mount an acessory or clean it, this seems like a more svelte solution.

Last edited:
    Cool, looks very usefull. May have to build one myself.

I think it took longer to lay out the hole spacing than anything else, I think it took me about 10 minutes or so total.

I had put together something in the same vein last year using a tripod ball head and arca clamp but it was big and not that good of a solution with a heavy rifle. I think this will be mucho better.

This reminds me of a discussion I had with RRS here:

TL;DR
    Placing a rail right foreword the mag area:
    Arca plates are too wide to hold comfortably. Picatinny is narrower but usually cut very sharply. How about a pic rail without any cutouts or just one cutout, and smoothed out like the Area419 rail? RRS agreed it would be strong enough.