• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Do All Hunting Round Decision? Rifle Build help

Ive spent alot of money looking for a do it all rifle for years. still havent found it. Probably never will.

But a bow is more humane right?
not with me directing the sharp things.

i suck. end of 2020 i hung up the bow. pissed me off too much. i don't got time to come home empty handed with a family of six that won't eat store bought meat.

bang sticks are ez.

grizz, moose, elk, deer, antelope.. put a long for caliber eld-m in the lungs above 2000fps but below 2800 and lifespan is single digit worth of foot steps.

Reactions: HaydenLane
Scandinavian moose are close to elk in size compared to the significantly larger Yukon moose we have here in North America. Additionally they only use the 6.5x55 because it is widely available, not because it is the best.
Im sorry but you know shit about Scandinavian moose. The scandinave moose and American moose is the exact same one and size.

There is no Yukon/Alaska moose subspecies anywhere else in North American. So it’s not even close to be representative and it’s not a metric for caliber comparison. That 6.5 bullet will do the same job.

The antlers differs but that doesn’t mean shit.

In 2014 I’ve shot a 430kg Moose in Norway. That’s not small at all and that weak 6.5x55 worked perfectly fine.

Get real with your American bore diameter ego issue.

Reactions: trob_205
FB17B082-C18E-4546-AFB8-E4D9D9893725.jpeg

Need help deciding on the cartridge I need. I have access to land in Canada and would like a round to do it all there, yet am having some issues deciding. I’ve narrowed it down to 6.5 PRC, 300 PRC, and 300 WM. We all know the pros to all of these, tell me what I’m missing with the cons:

6.5 PRC: 6.5 projectile… would like to keep it .30 for moose and bear

300 WM: I’d like to avoid reloading to headspace off the belt

300 PRC: I located SOME brass, don’t necessarily want to modify my Tenacity LA to fit Wyatt box…
I have a 6.5 CM , 6.5 PRC, 300 Win Mag,300 PRC, 300 Weatherby Mag., 7mm Remington Mag.
If I could only have one to hunt with It would be the 300 PRC hands d I whatever you considered 30 Nosler?

Honestly in this day and age if I wasnt reloading I would shop for a hunting rifle by what ammo is redily available. can you go to any store and buy 6.5 PRC or 300 PRC? I would buy the ammo first, you can always find a rifle in that caliber.

.280 AI is my kill everything in North America round. I am currently running 162 grain pills at about 3k FPS.

Reactions: beavis1971
Im sorry but you know shit about Scandinavian moose. The scandinave moose and American moose is the exact same one and size.

There is no Yukon/Alaska moose subspecies anywhere else in North American. So it’s not even close to be representative and it’s not a metric for caliber comparison. That 6.5 bullet will do the same job.

The antlers differs but that doesn’t mean shit.

In 2014 I’ve shot a 430kg Moose in Norway. That’s not small at all and that weak 6.5x55 worked perfectly fine.

Get real with your American bore diameter ego issue.
My main hunting rifle is a 6.5 PRC so I’m not sure why you assume I have an issue with that bore diameter.

That being said the Scandinavian moose is is definitely smaller than the Alaskan moose. 430kg is approximately 950 pounds, a big Alaskan moose can easily hit 1400 pounds and the record is 1800.

37D3337D-DA29-4062-8A1E-AA5462C77135.jpeg

CDC1EBEA-0462-405A-B96D-66AEB0010505.jpeg

705 to 1,047 pounds is closer to a big bull elk than it is an Alaskan Moose.

9C0EDC79-9228-4567-8AD0-981B90719097.jpeg

The other thing is the distance of the shot, as I understand Scandinavian hunters are shooting at much shorter ranges well under 100 yards compared to people here in the states where a 300 yard shot could be a real possibility. That extra 200 yards can have a significant impact on the performance of a given cartridge and can make the difference between an animal killed cleanly and one that is not.

I learned about this topic from a hunter named Joseph Von Benedikt who runs the Backcountry Hunting Podcast and he discussed this topic a couple times in regards to elk hunting with the 6.5 Creedmoor. He had first hand experience talking with Scandinavian hunters and the general consensus was that they use the 6.5x55 because it is widely available, not because it was the best cartridge for the job.

I’ve shot exactly two animals bigger than a whitetail, a 475 pound black bear that I killed with my 6.5 PRC and a 1750 pound Bison that I killed with an 1874 Sharps in 45-70.

All the anecdotal evidence makes my head hurt, especially from people who've never actually seen a moose outside of a zoo much less a Brown/Grizzly bear. So here’s mine: I used to fly seasonally for a little air taxi who specialized in hunter drop-off/pick ups, little bush airplanes with big tires off hacked out strips in bush AK. Company policy was; an average sized bull moose weighed 750 lbs, bone-in quarters with sawed off the skull rack. No hide, no gut bag, etc… I weighed several rear quarters in the 200 lb range. Moose also aren't hard to kill, poke a hole or 2 in the lungs and they go down, just like any other ungulate.

Bears. Basically, don't worry about it, any rifle you have in your hands will work. Just shoot them in the head and get out of there. Hunting them is one thing, defending from them is something else. You don't have to kill a charging 1000 lb killing machine in one shot, just stop the charge. Hurt bears bad enough and suddenly they don't want anything to do with you.

We hunt with 6.5’s, 270’s, 7’s up here in AK, have been for decades. The old trappers only had 30-30’s for over 50 years. When the ‘06 came around it was revolutionary, and people couldn’t get over how much power that round had, and the state didn't see widespread use of it till the 40’s when WW2 kicked off up here. Don't over think it.

Reactions: beavis1971
I learned about this topic from a hunter named Joseph Von Benedikt who runs the Backcountry Hunting Podcast and he discussed this topic a couple times in regards to elk hunting with the 6.5 Creedmoor. He had first hand experience talking with Scandinavian hunters and the general consensus was that they use the 6.5x55 because it is widely available, not because it was the best cartridge for the job.
Don’t take bullet or cartridge selection advice from a guy who uses “authority” as a metric to measure bullet effectiveness and claims recoil doesn’t affect him.

Reactions: Raufoss and BJames