• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Do I have a bedding problem?

Jrb572

Supporter
Minuteman
  • Dec 7, 2008
    Missouri
    OK I should have saved targets. My rifle is on a B&C stock. Unbedded it held under .5 and better. I bedded the rifle and now I can not get it to hold that to save my life. I know its not the barrel it was installed by G.A. precision. There is nothing touching front or sides of recoil lug. Rear is in full contact with stock. The bedding is even a smooth. I used some play dough and when torqued and remove the stock you can see a hint of it on the receiver where its bedded it is transparent its so thin but you can still see color. Does that sound like a problem. Should I sand and rebed a torque screws tight since I already have a good base above the bedding block? Any thoughts or comments are appreciated.

Thank,
    Joe

Re: Do I have a bedding problem?

Did you torque the stock with screws during the bedding cure time? If so, you induced stress into the bedding job.

Read This

No torque. That is the post I used to bed mine looks great but I dont know where I went wrong?

Sounds like something didn't go right the first time and I would attempt to understand it before trying it again.

What action do you have? You might try snugging down both screws and then carefully loosening/tightening one at a time to see the action squirms or torques in the stock. A correctly bedded action should hold very steady when the screws tighten and not pull up or down against the bedding.

A little more about the precise nature of the problem would help; but no, things do not change like that without a recognizable reason.

The playdough bit is actually pretty neat, I wouldn't have thought of that. But what you reveal doesn't sound like bedding is the issue.

I would check scope and mounts, if you can feel a wiggle, there's a problem; and if banging the sucker's buttplate on the ground hard and often doesn't change the point of impact, that's not the problem either.

Eyeball the crown real close, and then let someone else, who can shoot <span style="font-style: italic">their</span> rifle really well, shoot yours.

If all that reveals nothing, I'm buggered...

Greg

Remington 700 action. How long do you wait to torque the bolts? I waited a 24hrs was that to soon?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would check scope and mounts, if you can feel a wiggle, there's a problem; and if banging the sucker's buttplate on the ground hard and often doesn't change the point of impact, that's not the problem either.</div></div>

+1 on the scope and mounts. Seen this be the problem more than once. Maybe one or more of the screws is a little loose or did not tighten down because there is something from the bedding job in one of the holes. I'd go back through and check a piece at a time.

I generally wait 72+ hours - suppose it depends what epoxy you used.

Joe,

Did you bed for full contact of the receiver, front to rear with pillars installed? In your post you say it's in full contact with the rear of the stock, do you mean the tang of the receiver is in full contact?

Did you tape under the recoil lug as well?
    Was your bedding process and prep the same as mine?
    Are your guard screws touching the pillars interior?

If need be you can call me and we'll trouble shoot it on the phone. 318-422-0421

Sorry I ment the recoil lug in the rear was in full contact with stock. I bedded the full receiver.

Ok found one before group its on shoot n c and the best of last weekend after bedding on white and orange targets. I did install New scope and rings and rail.Falcon 4-14 badger rings and 20moa base. Or is it me pulling the shot.

[/IMG]
    sc0007704d.jpg
    sc00071425.jpg
    sc0006f569-1.jpg

all shots in the 10 were first shots bottom target goes middle out 123 cant remember middle but first shot is the 10 in that too target. All groups before bedding looked like the shoot nc. 100 yard shots

Dint think about the scope and mounts. Thanks I'll check them. Theses were best groups after. Only has 120 rounds on new barrel.

Might be the scope mount. Sorry guys i didnt even think about checking it. When front 2 screws are torqued down the rear bolt handle side you can slip a .002 feeler guage under the one side and it will almost reach to the other side of the rear of the base. Thanks again. been running through my head didnt think of that.

Thanks,
    Joe

Just for next time after you pull the action out of the stock if something falls down into the recoil lug slit and you did a tight bedding job it can throw off you point of impact when you torque the action down.

those groups look like an issue with base ring ,bedding problems in my experience are usually vertical,wind horizontal,and loose screws scattered.this is not written in stone.just the order that i go in when trouble shooting an issue like this,oh forgot a very important issue on the vertical.differences in loads,pressure etc

Ok I bedded the rear of the scope base and torqued screws to 15 inch pounds and add purple locktight to screws . Torqued rings to mount at 60 inch pounds and torqued ring screws at 15 inch pounds. Am I forgetting anything? I don't know if I'll make it out this weekend due to family reunion and Fathers Day. Thanks again. Hope this does the trick.

Thanks,
    Joe

I was debating about whether I should suggest (again) bedding the base, but you got it yourself.

My suggestions for Fathers' Day are not about the gun. Forget about the gun.

Enjoy the family moments without the distractions. The guns can wait, family's far more important.

As a guy who missed Christmas 2004 because he was out cold on an operating table having an emergency quad coronary bypass and not expected to survive, I can tell you, the guns can wait.

Greg

Make sure the recoil lug is NOT bottomed out in you bedding when you torque the screws(guess why I ask this).
    Also make sure that under recoil that your stock is NOT flexing and touching the bbl. Mine was and drove Randy(R&D) and myownself nuts till we found it. And this was in an HS stock.
    Respectfully,
    LG

I don't think it is. Once again used my playdough trick and there is pleanty of room under it up front and sides. But thanks. Your right Greg family is so important. Sometimes I get stuck on something and forget about the important things in life.

Just want to say thanks guys. Took it back to the range today. Everything seems back to the way it was

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wnroscoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Did you torque the stock with screws during the bedding cure time? If so, you induced stress into the bedding job.

Read This </div></div>

Nice writeup. When bedding with a Badger M5 trigger guard, do you do anything special? Do you also bed the trigger guard?

Thanks,

Ed