• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Do I need a shotgun?

pmclaine

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Nov 6, 2011
    MA
    Specifically this shotgun....

1619274159574.png

It would lead to me getting it parkerized, adding an extension, probably a light, maybe a barrel shroud with ghost ring sites and than very seldom doing anything with it.

Yes you need it. I’ve always wanted to do a similar project.

$500 shipped.

Ill probably keep the barrel hoping its at minimum.

Will strip the wood for a linseed oil finish.

Send it off somewhere for parkerizing...maybe the place in NY that does such if I can relocate their info, maybe LRI.

Need an idea of which extension to go with.

Mount for a light.

Shroud options...

Meh, will probably just take up space in my safe but........this is the exact shotgun I was looking for thinking every home should have a shotgun.

1970 870, all metal parts, no plastic trigger guards should have milled extractor.

Thats a good shotgun

Im always on the lookout for an old Wingmaster again.
    Had one and sold it (for no reason than it was taking safe space and I had limited time to shoot clays or bird hunt when I was married.
    Now I just keep them all....

1619278660970.png

I know someone has a bunch of these in their parts bin.

How 'bout selling me one for $100?

Reactions: Davo308
    I like the Remington 870 bayonet lugs, missed my chance a while ago when the Ohio NG 870s with bayonet lugs were sold off.

I've wanted a WWII era trench gun, but the prices are rather high for nice original ones. However, back in 2018 I bought a vintage M1200 bayonet lug/heat shield for $200 on the CMP forum, and then found an inexpensive, well-used 1972 WRA 1200 in Riot gun configuration on gunbroker (also $200). Ended up making a replica Vietnam era M1200 trench gun out of those parts, along with the M1917 bayonet that I had bought years ago. It's not an original piece, but total investment even with Parkerizing all the metal parts and Cerakoting the receiver and trigger guard wasn't too bad. Finished it in Feb 2020 but have never shot it...just a random project post.

Attachments

• IMG_7071.JPG
      IMG_7071.JPG
      86 KB · Views: 247
    • IMG_8263.JPG
      IMG_8263.JPG
      211.5 KB · Views: 163
    • IMG_3080.jpg
      IMG_3080.jpg
      264.7 KB · Views: 185
    • M1200_w_bayonet_4_v2.jpg
      M1200_w_bayonet_4_v2.jpg
      407.4 KB · Views: 193
    • M1200_w_bayonet_2.jpg
      M1200_w_bayonet_2.jpg
      300.8 KB · Views: 199
    Last edited:
    I bought 3 wing masters like that once. 2 were 1960’s vintage 18” police models that had and still have never been fired. The third had been refinished but it was done beautifully. It has an 18” barrel and is a Magnum Wingmaster.

I got all three for 750 total.

Seller says he bought it off a retired PO.

Just glad the wood has no checkering, exactly as I was looking for.

I like the Remington 870 bayonet lugs, missed my chance a while ago when the Ohio NG 870s with bayonet lugs were sold off.

Back in 2018 I bought a vintage M1200 bayonet lug/heat shield, and then found an inexpensive, well-used 1972 WRA 1200 in Riot gun configuration. Made a Vietnam era M1200 trench gun out of those parts, along with the M1917 bayonet that I had bought years ago.

I think Remington still makes the extension with the relief for the bayonet "sleeve".

Finding a sleeve though, especially Mark 1 for the USMC combat shotgun would be unicorn horn.

Last edited:
    Some beautiful wood on their site......big names use their product.
    It’s everything it’s claimed to be. Only thing I hate about it is it has a very short life once opened. It’ll be useable for about 2 weeks once opened if kept in a refrigerator. Heat it up in warm water for use. I get about 1 week when kept at room temperature.

Other than that, it’s good stuff. Truly makes wood a mile deep.

You can get close to the same result using tru oil, but it has to be thinned 2:1 tru oil/mineral spirits. Takes about 5 coats of the thinned tru oil mix, and then the last two hand rubbed full strength coats.

Ya need at least 1 in 12 ga and 1 in 20 ga. I like to put a youth stock on the 20's. That way, small folks can comfortably shoot em.

They sell it what looks like single project sizes.

I'd have to convince myself to make a good looking fancy piece of wood like that.

I bought a second hand 870 20 ga and it has some of the nicest wood I've ever seen on a Remington shotgun. That is one that won't get the youth butt stock.

Nice buy!

I have an 870 compact 20 gauge as my turkey gun. With the aimpoint it looks great next to my nightstand.

Ya need at least 1 in 12 ga and 1 in 20 ga. I like to put a youth stock on the 20's. That way, small folks can comfortably shoot em.

Had a Browning Sweet Sixteen.

Was given to me gratis. I gave it to an old friend gratis.

That sweet sixteen shot super soft but finding shells was going to be a problem I understand the gauge is dying out.

I have shit tons of twelve gauge ammo but no twelve gauge.

Fixed it.

They sell it what looks like single project sizes.

I'd have to convince myself to make a good looking fancy piece of wood like that.
    The half ounce bottle is the way to go for a single stock. It'll actually do a couple of stocks, but since you're only doing one...

I prefer recipe number 2 for the south east with our humidity if I am not at my main residence with my heat/humidity controlled drying cabinet. Never had any issues with the original formula, its just that it's a minimum of 24 hours between coats with the original formula. I can do 2 coats in a 24 hour period with recipe number 2.

Never used their stain though so no comments on that.

Citristrip is what I use to remove old finishes. May use acetone to if oil stained, but that stock looks nice and clean. Let the citristrip do it's work, and then scrap off with a plastic scraper or stiff bristle brush. That'll get you to bear wood, and you can use a higher grit sandpaper to prevent removing too much material. Buff with 3M white pads in between coats, not steel wood. No particles embedded with the 3M pads. Last coat gets no buffing, and it'll look mighty fine!!

Last edited:
    Reactions: Davo308
    You can never have too many! It's a beauty and perfect, like it is. If you mod it, I'm sure it'll be top notch.

If I strip that wood, and that is the intent, I hope it doesnt have that Remington bowling pin finish that they use on 700s. RKW or something like that.

That stuff sucks.

Last edited:
    If I strip that wood, and that is the intent, I hope it doesnt have that Remington bowling pin finish that they use on 700s.

That stuff sucks.
    Citristrip, a plastic scraper, and stiff bristle (not metal) brush will take it down to bare wood. You can also scrub it with a 3M finishing pad. I use the blue heavy duty stripping pads at first to remove any stubborn stuff that the scraper couldn't get to. Then I use the white final finish pads in between coats of oil. Use the 3M as the no name stuff will bleed color and fray off.

Reactions: pmclaine
    If I strip that wood, and that is the intent, I hope it doesnt have that Remington bowling pin finish that they use on 700s.

That stuff sucks.
    It doesn't look like polyurethane, or polyester. Looks like it would strip, easily. I sure like oil finished walnut.

Last edited:
    Nothing like a good old 870. I have two, a bird barrel one from my grandfather, and a mutt I got later as a slug gun. The former is a bit older than Your’s. The later had a broken stock that I replaced and added a modern recoil pad. They’re both excellent firearms that’ll never leave the family.

That stuff sucks.
    It does, when i did my wingmaster i went thru a few sheets of sand paper being loaded up if i remember right.

I doesn't look like polyurethane, or polyester. Looks like it would strip, easily. I sure like oil finished walnut.

The thing I like about oil finish is it can only get better with time.

A hard finish can only degrade usually.

Linseed more so than Tung will change color, use areas change color, further coats are easy and they build character.

You dont get the depth of hard finishes but there is a warmth that the shiny finishes cant give.

@Random Guy s shotgun with the red tone is fantastic.

Reactions: BLEE
    The thing I like about oil finish is it can only get better with time.

A hard finish can only degrade usually.

Linseed more so than Tung will change color, use areas change color, further coats are easy and they build character.

You dont get the depth of hard finishes but there is a warmth that the shiny finishes cant give.

@Random Guy s shotgun with the red tone is fantastic.
    Easy touch-up, too.

Id like to find an 18.5" smooth bore barrel with rifle sights and sell the 20 incher to @MK20 .....

anyone gots one?

Here you go. It takes interchangeable chokes too.

Second from the bottom on that page.

Also, I just realized that your barrel is cut for 2 3/4 shells and I need one for a magnum wingmaster. I may end up buying the one I referred to you, lol.

Here you go. It takes interchangeable chokes too.

Nah, I want a Remington one.

I see 18.5" beaded smoothbore Remmys but no 18.5 inch smoothies with sights.

Damn your bankruptcy Remington.

I have an old wingmaster in .410 that my Dad, brother and grandmother bought me for Christmas when I was about 13 or 14, probably around 1974, I also have a late 90's or early 2000's 870 express. There is NO comparison.
    One is a beautiful shotgun that one would be proud to carry, the other works just fine and you don't worry about it getting banged up.
    FWIW, my Dad used to have a Model 42, not sure what happened to it, I hope my brother has it. That is worth quite a bit and was a fantastic shotgun.

Last edited:
    Reactions: camocorvette
    Everyone needs a few shotguns I've got four a couple 870's a late 70's 20 ga and a later model 18-1/2" barrel, an old Winchester model 1897 I've had since I was a kid & a browning white lightning OU, might take a look at Wilson Combat they do a lot of custom work on 870 shotguns, parkerizing just about anything you might want done. My middle son has a WC Border Patrol shotgun and it's really a nice piece, think they discontinued production of their scattergun technologies 870's

Nice shotgun, I would leave it “as is” but your needs will dictate its final version. I have a 1951 Wingmaster (first year available) that my father purchased new in 1953 after he returned from Korea. I have had it a long time but it just sits in the safe. It will end up in an estate sale someday I suppose.

3DC95FBB-2CD6-4641-9B83-5B1950DFA6BC.jpeg

yes everyone needs a shotgun or 6 love em , shoot em , enjoy em well except for those comi loving lefties they only need love to protect them self and body glitter lol .

04D9C2A7-CA57-41B0-B7A6-B51FE8B1A8F3.jpeg

For the modest price of a Mossberg 590a1 why not? Safety is in the perfect spot, dual extractors, ghost ring rear, illuminated front blade, rock hard finish. They can’t be beat. Even a stock garage sale 500 can be turned into a solid combat scatter pole for under a couple hundo. I’ll take this over a Benelli M2 anyday, mostly cause I’m not smart enough for all the buttons on the M2 not to mention the $2k price tag.