• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Do I want Kidd SG or Vudoo?

660grizzlyguy

Private
Minuteman
Mar 28, 2010
Looking for help from people that have both. Have Anschutz rifles, but I am looking for a repeater for NRL/PRS matches. I have a Volquartsen that shoots almost as well as my match rifles, but I get a jam, every once in a while, new mags and extractor haven't totaly fixed it. How does your Vuddo compare to your Kidd supergrade at 100 yards?

I have both. I hate to say it! they are are not even close, my vudoo shoots circles around my KIDD SG. With that said there are people with KIDDS that run real well.

Reactions: 47guy
I get it, you have the new gun itch.

But I think you should get your current rifle to a smith for maintenance and small fixing.

Maybe things like:
1. Extractor claw reshape to improve exctracting
2. Chamber end fine sanded to improve feeding
3. Maybe mag holder readjustment and mag lips sanding aswell.

I been shooting a Kidd SG for 2 years and just started shooting a Vudoo_Out to 100 yds they are about tied but when I bring it out to 2 hundred yds the Vudoo beats the Kidd.And as long as I keep the Kidd clean I do not have problems with it.I have to keep the chamber clean with the Kidd and with any semi you have to find ammo it likes.

Also a good idea to take the extractor out with spring and plunger and clean real good with some liter fluid.Be care-full with that extractor spring it can go flying.I put my bolt in a clear plastic bag when taking apart so everything will stay in the bag.

I also have both. And the kidd is amazing machine. It shoots right with my Anschutz and Bergara I have been testing. I only shoot 50 off sand bags but even there what the kidd will do on occasion the Vudoo does regularly. If you can afford the Vudoo you will never wonder what if. As for the Kidd, yes it's amazing but if it's not clean I will get a failure to feed.

Reactions: Moose
Everyone misses the obvious.

Get an anchutz repeater!

Guy I shoot with regularly places with the vudoo crowd with his anchutz.

Looking for help from people that have both. Have Anschutz rifles, but I am looking for a repeater for NRL/PRS matches. I have a Volquartsen that shoots almost as well as my match rifles, but I get a jam, every once in a while, new mags and extractor haven't totaly fixed it. How does your Vuddo compare to your Kidd supergrade at 100 yards?

I do not have a Vudoo, but I have a Kidd SG. I have shot a few Vudoo's at 120 yds. They shoot about the same as my Kidd SG. The Vudoo is a very nice gun. I have a Bat B action and a Stiller Diamondback in centerfires for 600yds and 1000yds benchrest. Nothing came come close to a custom action. I don't have NRL/PRS in my area.
I have a 200yds steel match at my home range. I have win it with my Kidd and my Tikka T1x. I last match I beat 3 Vudoo's with my Tix and my Kidd. Then my wife said you don't need a vudoo to win. Damn It. I missed the course by 1 with 38 out of 40. I told her, I could shoot a 40 if I had a Vudoo. She's not going for it.

Mark

Are Vudoo rifles only available new through their website? What’s the wait like to get one? Been wanting to get one for a while.

2 each of Vudoo V22 and Kidd SG in various stocks/chassis, also have a couple of repeater Anschutz 54's.

As far as reliability, get the vudoo. One of my SG's runs reliable 98-99% or better with any 22 ammo, the other had issues feeding. It failed at least once per 10 rounds, worse with heavy lube ammo like SK/Lapua. I think I have resolved that problem after trying all the normal fixes (different mags, lighter/heavier bolt springs, different barrel, heavier/lighter spring rate in mags, heavier mag release spring) and it came down to the dry lube I was testing out on the bolt/bolt guide rod. Dry lube by itself is not sufficient for this gun (Black Kidd bolt and Kidd receiver). Problems went away once MILCOMM TW25B white grease was applied to those areas, go figure as that is what Kidd recommends. Still need to run a few hundred more rounds through it to vet it, but the first 200 since then have been 100%. The other Kidd has the silver bolt in a Kidd receiver and has had Gessiele Purple lube on the Bolt and guide since first cleaning. It's pretty reliable but still gets a FTF once in a great while.

Both SG's start clogging up the barrel and bolt faces with lube and combustion product when outside temps get hotter than 90 degrees. Actually all my 10/22's do that as the blowback action dumps some of the crap in the action on each shot and it happens in as little as 400 rounds depending which ammo type you are using. You don't have that problem with the vudoo as it is a CRF. I've literally put a rag on my finger and wiped off the barrel and bolt faces between sessions at a match to clean that stuff off. Regular CCI SV was the worst offender of this, but also had to do it for SK and Eley. Another consideration along these lines is wind blown dirt. I was at an appleseed clinic at a sandy range with no vegetation ground cover and the wind kicked up in the afternoon. Enough airborne dirt was deposited on the 10/22's to make them fail within a couple strings of fire, whereas the bolt actions kept going. Stock 10/22's went down first, then the the KIDDS and finally the Match Director cancelled the rest of the day as the winds literally blew down the target line. Cleaning the bolt actions is easier than the 10/22's.

Barrel Accuracy: I have the 2 vudoos and 3 SG barrels I swap out between the 2 KIDD rifles. One vudoo and two of the SG barrels shoot pretty much the same at 50 and 100 yards. I put them on par with or slightly better than my CZ or Tikka rimfires. The other vudoo and remaining SG barrel shoot groups about 1/2-3/4 the size of the previous barrels. Ammo quality is also a big part of this equation as 22LR velocity spreads and bullet consistency are so scattered even among the "premium" brands. To be fair all 5 barrels shoot well (1/2" or better at 50) but 2 of them perform noticeably better at these ranges. For longer ranges I'll take the vudoo every time as I've always scored better with them compared to the KIDDS in previous matches.

Anschutz makes a fine rifle for silhouette, bench or squirrel hunting. I have two gripes against them for anything else. Their ejection is a lottery, maybe you get one that works, maybe you don't. Seen too many of them with ejection problems at matches, including the ones I use for ARA benchrest and silhouette. Maybe you can fix , maybe not. Other issue is their mags suck ass. Stamped sheetmetal design left over from the 40/50/60's never updated, expensive as hell, cannot change quickly under time restrictions, and unreliable in 10 round configuration. For as much as they cost you would think factory 10 round mags would work perfect every time. Mine did not, could not even get them to seat half the time. Tried the extended mag release with the same issues. I know the magwell is adjustable and I do have 5 round mags that work properly most of the time. I am envious of these biathlon shooters with 10 rnd mags that work every time with their extended mag release on the Fortner actions in the Olympics on TV. While I'm on an Anschutz rant, it was amusing to see a guy show up at a PRS style match a few years ago and throw a fit as the barricades would scratch up his fine figured wood stock finish and he kept running out of time with awkward mag changes. He was a snobby fudd that had never shot that style of match before and couldn't comprehend how the "lowly tactical $300 CZ's" were beating his much more expensive rifle.

I have both, and am very happy with each one. If I could only have one, I'd pick the Vudoo, but my Kidd isn't lacking in accuracy or reliability, within the limits of the blowback buildup after a few hundred rounds. Cleaning definitely favors the Vudoo.

Do you want to be a man with ladies bringing you sammiches, cold beers, and rubbing your neck whilst you drink said beers or a teen boy with 3 chin hairs he calls a goatee?

And @Bare There "The Artist formerly known as Larry" is right. He frequently is in between all the hugs and rainbows and butterflies and stuff. Dont agree with him to often, or he will send a random gift basket of organic fair trade teas and a potted plant.

Thanks all, Tiger and Bare, you guys provided just the info I was looking for. The Anschutz mag. issue is why I was looking at other platforms. Doggone Anschutz rifles sure shoot good though, hard to ignore rifles in the safe.

I don't have a kid. But I do have an Anschutz 1722 luxus everything he said about the mags is true very expensive. And don't work great for Quick mag changes. And I have a V-22 voodoo it's my favorite rifle by far it out shoots everything I own!

Are Vudoo rifles only available new through their website? What’s the wait like to get one? Been wanting to get one for a while.

They told me thirty days and I had it in hand in 28 days.
Thanks Mike, Paul Jill and everyone else at VGWs.

Attachments

• DSC00100.JPG
    DSC00100.JPG
    325.8 KB · Views: 86
  • DSC00101.JPG
    DSC00101.JPG
    286.7 KB · Views: 88
  • DSC00102.JPG
    DSC00102.JPG
    310.4 KB · Views: 95
  • DSC00103.JPG
    DSC00103.JPG
    307 KB · Views: 73
  • DSC00109.JPG
    DSC00109.JPG
    293.7 KB · Views: 89
2 each of Vudoo V22 and Kidd SG in various stocks/chassis, also have a couple of repeater Anschutz 54's.

As far as reliability, get the vudoo. One of my SG's runs reliable 98-99% or better with any 22 ammo, the other had issues feeding. It failed at least once per 10 rounds, worse with heavy lube ammo like SK/Lapua. I think I have resolved that problem after trying all the normal fixes (different mags, lighter/heavier bolt springs, different barrel, heavier/lighter spring rate in mags, heavier mag release spring) and it came down to the dry lube I was testing out on the bolt/bolt guide rod. Dry lube by itself is not sufficient for this gun (Black Kidd bolt and Kidd receiver). Problems went away once MILCOMM TW25B white grease was applied to those areas, go figure as that is what Kidd recommends. Still need to run a few hundred more rounds through it to vet it, but the first 200 since then have been 100%. The other Kidd has the silver bolt in a Kidd receiver and has had Gessiele Purple lube on the Bolt and guide since first cleaning. It's pretty reliable but still gets a FTF once in a great while.

Both SG's start clogging up the barrel and bolt faces with lube and combustion product when outside temps get hotter than 90 degrees. Actually all my 10/22's do that as the blowback action dumps some of the crap in the action on each shot and it happens in as little as 400 rounds depending which ammo type you are using. You don't have that problem with the vudoo as it is a CRF. I've literally put a rag on my finger and wiped off the barrel and bolt faces between sessions at a match to clean that stuff off. Regular CCI SV was the worst offender of this, but also had to do it for SK and Eley. Another consideration along these lines is wind blown dirt. I was at an appleseed clinic at a sandy range with no vegetation ground cover and the wind kicked up in the afternoon. Enough airborne dirt was deposited on the 10/22's to make them fail within a couple strings of fire, whereas the bolt actions kept going. Stock 10/22's went down first, then the the KIDDS and finally the Match Director cancelled the rest of the day as the winds literally blew down the target line. Cleaning the bolt actions is easier than the 10/22's.

Barrel Accuracy: I have the 2 vudoos and 3 SG barrels I swap out between the 2 KIDD rifles. One vudoo and two of the SG barrels shoot pretty much the same at 50 and 100 yards. I put them on par with or slightly better than my CZ or Tikka rimfires. The other vudoo and remaining SG barrel shoot groups about 1/2-3/4 the size of the previous barrels. Ammo quality is also a big part of this equation as 22LR velocity spreads and bullet consistency are so scattered even among the "premium" brands. To be fair all 5 barrels shoot well (1/2" or better at 50) but 2 of them perform noticeably better at these ranges. For longer ranges I'll take the vudoo every time as I've always scored better with them compared to the KIDDS in previous matches.

Anschutz makes a fine rifle for silhouette, bench or squirrel hunting. I have two gripes against them for anything else. Their ejection is a lottery, maybe you get one that works, maybe you don't. Seen too many of them with ejection problems at matches, including the ones I use for ARA benchrest and silhouette. Maybe you can fix , maybe not. Other issue is their mags suck ass. Stamped sheetmetal design left over from the 40/50/60's never updated, expensive as hell, cannot change quickly under time restrictions, and unreliable in 10 round configuration. For as much as they cost you would think factory 10 round mags would work perfect every time. Mine did not, could not even get them to seat half the time. Tried the extended mag release with the same issues. I know the magwell is adjustable and I do have 5 round mags that work properly most of the time. I am envious of these biathlon shooters with 10 rnd mags that work every time with their extended mag release on the Fortner actions in the Olympics on TV. While I'm on an Anschutz rant, it was amusing to see a guy show up at a PRS style match a few years ago and throw a fit as the barricades would scratch up his fine figured wood stock finish and he kept running out of time with awkward mag changes. He was a snobby fudd that had never shot that style of match before and couldn't comprehend how the "lowly tactical $300 CZ's" were beating his much more expensive rifle.

You are spot one regarding the Annie mags. The cost and the release sucks !! Let us not forget the stamped sheet metal trigger guard on the Annie's. The CZ 457 guard is head and shoulders above it in every way. I will say that the Anschutz 5098 trigger set from the factory at 6.3 oz. ( 180 grams ) is truly nice. Make certain you check out what trigger your getting when buying your Annie as the 5098 will adjust down to 175 grams and some others that look identical will only dial down to 1000 grams.

Attachments

• DSC09945.JPG
    DSC09945.JPG
    441.3 KB · Views: 14
  • DSC09946.JPG
    DSC09946.JPG
    487.8 KB · Views: 14
If you want a full rifle, yes. Just call them up, discuss the options and get exactly what you want. You can get a barreled action from Mile High and one or two other vendors. Just add your trigger and stock/chassis of choice and you are done.

You will not regret it.

They make the process fun at vudoo Gunworks. they will talk you through the process it's very easy. And you will never regret your purchase! They're all very nice people and very helpful. You tell them what your uses and interests are and they will help you make the right choice!

Reactions: Cuzz