• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Do-it-all Lightweight, Off-the-rack AR-15 5.56 Upper Suggestions?

bonesaw00001

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Sep 15, 2019
Hi Y'all,

Hoping to tap the collective wisdom of snipershide once more! I'm hoping to upgrade my current 5.56 AR (a ~2011 BCM 16" SS barrel with midlength gas) into something a little more lightweight by replacing my upper assembly.

Use cases would be general plinking, local carbine matches, run and gun events requiring humping the rifle some distance, and sometimes suppressor host. I'd like the upper to be <3.5 lbs, <$1k ($500 preferred), not a stainless finish, and capable of at least 1 moa precision. I've been favoring a 16" over 14.5" so as not to have to pin and weld any muzzle device.

I'd prefer to pick up an assembled upper if at all possible, and I'd come across the following:
Aero Precision M4E1 16" ~3-3.4 lbs ~$500
BCM 16" light weight upper receiver group - unknown weight, ~$700

Various PSA uppers ~4lbs ~$500-700

However, there are a ZILLION different manufacturers and options out there, and I'd love it if someone could point me in the right direction amongst these or another option. My previous BCM upper has been great, but not quite capable of 1 moa, a little heavy for my liking, and I haven't been a fan of the stainless barrel.

Thanks!

Sell your current BCM upper and buy the BCM lightweight you mentioned for $700.

It’s difficult to beat BCM for under $1,000.

Otherwise, I’d strongly suggest buying the parts you want and taking it to a qualified smith to build out. That way you get exactly what you want.

I quit buying factory AR’s years ago and have built my own with premium parts ever since so I get exactly what I want and am not forced to pay for things I don’t.

Also, getting an upper that weights less than 3.5 pounds is going to focus heavily on the barrel you choose, and if you expect superior accuracy, a lightweight profile isn’t what you want. May want to up your expectations to a 4.5-5.0 pound upper and cut weight on your stock.

If you’re open to a pistol braced lower, you won’t need to futz with pinning the muzzle device on a 14.5” barrel.

Reactions: bonesaw00001
Sell your current BCM upper and buy the BCM lightweight you mentioned for $700.

It’s difficult to beat BCM for under $1,000.

Otherwise, I’d strongly suggest buying the parts you want and taking it to a qualified smith to build out. That way you get exactly what you want.

I quit buying factory AR’s years ago and have built my own with premium parts ever since so I get exactly what I want and am not forced to pay for things I don’t.

Also, getting an upper that weights less than 3.5 pounds is going to focus heavily on the barrel you choose, and if you expect superior accuracy, a lightweight profile isn’t what you want. May want to up your expectations to a 4.5-5.0 pound upper and cut weight on your stock.

Honestly, I was worried that not "matching" the parts might impart some inaccuracy..

Is the typical way to go for barrels Criterion, hybrid profile, mid-length gas? Suggestions on other parts to incorporate?

Any issues with the Aero Precision uppers? I saw a couple good reviews online, and thus it'd piqued my interest.

Honestly, I was worried that not "matching" the parts might impart some inaccuracy..

Is the typical way to go for barrels Criterion, hybrid profile, mid-length gas? Suggestions on other parts to incorporate?

Any issues with the Aero Precision uppers? I saw a couple good reviews online, and thus it'd piqued my interest.

Criterion makes excellent barrels. The most accurate one I own is from a now-defunct company called Micro-MOA and it’s a 14.5” barrel.

I’d suggest barrels from Criterion, Ballistic Advantage, and Roscoe. (The nicer ones get Hella expensive.)

Aero precision uppers are excellent, And they are the sister company to Ballistic Advantage so they use the same barrels. I just personally hate their handguards.

As for the accuracy piece and mixing parts, I have a frankenbuild I did with all different components ranging from RRA to Geissele to LWRC with an 18” barrel I bought off EBay years ago, and it shoots lights out at 100 yards and consistently pulls .5-.75” groups with Sig Sauer 77gr OTM Ammo.

I’ll recommend Aero. While I wouldn’t suggest they’re equals to BCM, I’ve had great results from my Aero rifle. Reliable, accurate. Two classes, ~3,000 rds fired. I’ve had sub-moa groups with 62 grain.

Criterion makes excellent barrels. The most accurate one I own is from a now-defunct company called Micro-MOA and it’s a 14.5” barrel.

I’d suggest barrels from Criterion, Ballistic Advantage, and Roscoe. (The nicer ones get Hella expensive.)

Aero precision uppers are excellent, And they are the sister company to Ballistic Advantage so they use the same barrels. I just personally hate their handguards.

As for the accuracy piece and mixing parts, I have a frankenbuild I did with all different components ranging from RRA to Geissele to LWRC with an 18” barrel I bought off EBay years ago, and it shoots lights out at 100 yards and consistently pulls .5-.75” groups with Sig Sauer 77gr OTM Ammo.
I think TriArc is sourcing the same Fedderson barrels that Micro-MOA used to use. The profiles are very similar, and the rifling description is the same.

I’ve had good results using AR15Performance barrels. I’ve yet to have one that wouldn’t shoot under MOA in 223Wylde, 6.5Grendel, or 308.

Last edited:
Reactions: XLR308
I think TriArc is sourcing the same Fedderson barrels that Micro-MOA used to use. The profiles are very similar, and the rifling description is the same.

I’ve had good results using AR15Performance barrels. I’ve yet to have one that wouldn’t shoot under MOA in 223Wylde, 6.5Grendel, or 308.
I’ve also heard excellent things about TriArc, so that doesn’t surprise me.

Triarc blows at updating their website or keeping their inventory straight. The “in-stock” barrel I ordered hadn’t shipped 3 weeks after placing order - gave them a call and turns out it’s sold out on a multi-month backorder.

Reactions: MichiganMitten
Assuming that your current upper has a bcm hanguard on it, I’d just buy the barrel that you want and swap it out from your current upper. You can always sell the one you have now and get something else, but you have all the quality ingredients already. Pop in a 16” lw profile barrel and rock it out.

The new hotness lately has been 13.7" barrels with a pinned Surefire flash hider. That gets you the absolute minimum rifle length without having to go the pistol brace route. A basic pinned 14.5" upper is easier to find though and probably what I would recommend. Can't go wrong with BCM, Aero, DD, etc.

Assuming that your current upper has a bcm hanguard on it, I’d just buy the barrel that you want and swap it out from your current upper. You can always sell the one you have now and get something else, but you have all the quality ingredients already. Pop in a 16” lw profile barrel and rock it out.

Also a great point, especially if he has one of the original BCM KMR rails that weight literally nothing.

All the weight could be hiding in his barrel.

Triarc blows at updating their website or keeping their inventory straight. The “in-stock” barrel I ordered hadn’t shipped 3 weeks after placing order - gave them a call and turns out it’s sold out on a multi-month backorder.

Considering that they’re pumping out complete rifles as fast as they an make them, I’m not surprised that their online store is suffering from lack of attention.

The new hotness lately has been 13.7" barrels with a pinned Surefire flash hider. That gets you the absolute minimum rifle length without having to go the pistol brace route. A basic pinned 14.5" upper is easier to find though and probably what I would recommend. Can't go wrong with BCM, Aero, DD, etc.
I do wonder why the 13.7” barrels are demanding such high premiums compared to a 14.5” or a standard 16”.

The 13.7 Barrel was made for KX3 "pig" FH by Noveske. I am not sure why others started to make it. It was a very specific barrel length for the KX5 to bring the OAL barrel to 16.

I have an aero upper with a shilen stainless match barrel in it that is easily sub MOA with even factory ammo at 100yd. If you want sub MOA out of a steel barrel take a look at Rosco or Criterion I guess. I don’t look at steel AR barrels as precision barrels.

Shorter and/or carbon fiber hand guard. Pencil profile barrel. Light weight BCG. That's about all you can do to reduce the weight on an upper- without going SBR. Maybe drop the muzzle device entirely?...

Light weight, low cost, high accuracy is a rare beast...

I don’t think there’s any way to have an extreme lightweight upper that shoots extremely tight groups. Pencil barrels just cannot do it once they heat up, regardless of brand.

I took a heavy Del-ton upper with a 16" heavy profile barrel and replaced it with a Faxon "gunner" profile match grade barrel, 223 Wylde, 5R rifling, nitrided, along with an RCA titanium bolt carrier group and VSeven's least expensive (but still stupid light) upper with forward assist and it dropped two pounds off the rifle. Faxon also has a heavy fluted 223 Wylde match grade version which is probably a bit more stout overall but comes in seven or eight ounces heavier. Probably within your budget range as the barrel was under $200 on sale. Already had a carbon hand guard so that helped and the gunner profile has more meat in the right places vs. a pencil barrel. Still dialing in loads but it was shooting through the same hole at 100 yards with off the shelf PMC bronze.

Light weight, low cost, high accuracy is a rare beast...

This in spades ^^^^^^^^^^^^

Lightweight is a relative word & finding anything in a short period of time right now is near impossible, so most likely you will have a little wait.

And you will get what you pay for; premium barrels are required to consistently get to <1 MOA, regardless of the BS here that makes it sound like they grow on trees..............especially if you are talking about 10 shot groups or multiple 5x5's & not just a single 3-shot group that many want to say makes their gun a < 1 MOA shooter.

I'd suggest that you get in touch with Craddock Precision or Compass Lake Eng. & tell them exactly what you want; what you get from either of them will likely be only a little more than an off the shelf Aero (which I'd not touch) & you will have a gun that will almost surely put a smile on your face if you, in fact, can really shoot an AR to < MOA standards regularly.

Both have some lighter weighter profiles that you probably won't easily find on their website.

Ranier Arms is also another top shelf supplier with top shelf barrels, which is where it all starts.

MM

If you are happy with whatever handguard you have on your gun now. I would second just getting a new barrel and have it installed on your upper.

On another topic, how many rounds do you have on that BCM SS barrel and how much you want for it? LOLOLOL

If you are happy with whatever handguard you have on your gun now. I would second just getting a new barrel and have it installed on your upper.

On another topic, how many rounds do you have on that BCM SS barrel and how much you want for it? LOLOLOL

Haha appreciate the interest! Part of it is having to replace the A2 flash hider/gas port on the front and not having the tools at home to do it myself (thus just buying a straight upper). I'll have to post some pictures, but I've got a 9" old Troy Viking Tactics Rail on it. Rifle is currently about 8.3 lbs... I'm hoping to get in the range of 6 lbs with a RDS, unloaded. Not sure if that's entirely unrealistic for a 16" barrel AR, but I feel like I see plenty of folks showing off ones in that range.

Anyone use a PDQ lever or such for an ambi bolt release? Seems like a smart idea...

I’d suggest simply rebuilding your upper with the following parts:
-Criterion CORE series 16” barrel
-BCM bolt
-BCM gas block
-BCM MCMR rail in the length of your choice
These items will breathe new life into your and bring it up to current standards. If you want to further reduce weight I’d suggest a titanium barrel nut and gas block from V7.

I’d suggest simply rebuilding your upper with the following parts:
-Criterion CORE series 16” barrel
-BCM bolt
-BCM gas block
-BCM MCMR rail in the length of your choice
These items will breathe new life into your and bring it up to current standards. If you want to further reduce weight I’d suggest a titanium barrel nut and gas block from V7.

Cool, I think I'm basically sold. The aero ATLAS S-One handguards remove the extra picatinny rail along the top of the handguard and replace with m-lock slots - is there a reason to stick with the full top picatinny rail of the BCM MCMR rail? Is it just to keep all the branding consistent, or does the rail have some especially important advantage?

I'll sell you a 13" FDE Atlas S-One if you want it. I swapped mine for a BCM rail. My gas block was too close to the inside of it, my barrel port wasn't dead on 12 o'clock. I haven't found myself needing the extra picatinny there yet. The Atlas reduces the weight at the front of the gun and has a nice feel to it. The barrel nut is a little large and has some more weight than a BCM nut does.

Cool, I think I'm basically sold. The aero ATLAS S-One handguards remove the extra picatinny rail along the top of the handguard and replace with m-lock slots - is there a reason to stick with the full top picatinny rail of the BCM MCMR rail? Is it just to keep all the branding consistent, or does the rail have some especially important advantage?

Unless you’re going to run IR lasers the aero handguard should be fine. In certain cases I like to keep branding consistent but that’s mostly because I’m OCD about my guns.

Unless you’re going to run IR lasers the aero handguard should be fine. In certain cases I like to keep branding consistent but that’s mostly because I’m OCD about my guns.

Is there a good reason to go aluminum handguards over carbon fiber btw? I'm not a huge fan of the look, but with ones appearing in the $200-300 range, it seems like a good potential option to save weight but maintain functionality.

I was OCD about co-branding until when I purchased this rifle, BCM was out of stock of their own bolt carrier groups and sent me a Daniels Defense bcg instead. Then I got over it haha.

I'd like the upper to be <3.5 lbs, <$1k ($500 preferred), not a stainless finish, and capable of at least 1 moa precision. I've been favoring a 16" over 14.5" so as not to have to pin and weld any muzzle device.

Did you want a blow-job and a bag of chips to go with all that too? (and no, I'm not offering either one.)

I'd prefer to pick up an assembled upper if at all possible, and I'd come across the following:
Aero Precision M4E1 16" ~3-3.4 lbs ~$500
BCM 16" light weight upper receiver group - unknown weight, ~$700
Various PSA uppers ~4lbs ~$500-700

You state that you want "at least 1 moa precision", yet you're looking at cheap-ass PSA uppers? It's kind of hard to take you seriously with statements like that. Also, there's no such thing as a "do-it-all lightweight" AR-15 upper group.

On the off chance that you're not just trolling, you might want to adjust your unrealistic expectations; more money (custom build) or less precision or more weight or a shorter barrel. The only factory assembled upper receiver group that I've tested that would only approach your expectations is the Bravo Company 14.5" ELW.

Bravo Company 14.5” ELW Accuracy: A Quick Look

ELW stands for enhanced light-weight. This barrel is from Bravo Company’s cold-hammer forged series of barrels. The barrel has a “continuous taper” design with a smooth shoulder at the gas block journal, which reportedly improves barrel harmonics. This barrel has a mid-length gas system and a 0.625” gas block journal.

According to Bravo Company, this barrel has a stripped weight of 1 pound, 5 ounces. For comparison, a Colt 14.5” M4 barrel has a stripped weight of 1 pound, 9 ounces.

BCM 14.5” ELW

bcm_elw_stock_phonto_01_resized-1298250.jpg

Colt 14.5” M4 barrel. (not stripped)

colt_m4_barrel_01_resized-1298030.jpg

I purchased this barrel as part of a BCM factory assembled upper receiver group with the MCMR 13” free-float hand guard. The barrel has BCM’s pinned and welded A2X flash hider.

Shooting off-the-bench at a distance of 100 yards (using a high magnification scope), this barrel produced a 10-shot group that has an extreme spread of 0.946” with a mean radius of 0.33”.

bcm_elw_10_shot_group_at_100_yards_01_re-1253570.jpg

bcm_14_5_elw_001_resized_08-1253427.jpg

….

Last edited:
Reactions: bunsen27
And you will get what you pay for; premium barrels are required to consistently get to <1 MOA, regardless of the BS here that makes it sound like they grow on trees..............especially if you are talking about 10 shot groups or multiple 5x5's & not just a single 3-shot group that many want to say makes their gun a < 1 MOA shooter.

. . . . along with premium ammunition.:)

Last edited:
I took a heavy Del-ton upper with a 16" heavy profile barrel and replaced it with a Faxon "gunner" profile match grade barrel, 223 Wylde, 5R rifling, nitrided, . . . it was shooting through the same hole at 100 yards with off the shelf PMC bronze.

PMC Bronze 55 Grain FMJ

I evaluated the accuracy (technically, the precision) of the PMC Bronze 55 grain FMJ ammunition using my 20” stainless-steel Lothar-Walther barreled AR-15. This barrel has a 223 Wylde chamber with a 1:8” twist.

Three 10-shot groups fired in a row from my bench-rest set-up at a distance of 100 yards had the following extreme spreads:

2.22”

1.82”

2.15”

for a 10-shot average extreme spread of 2.06”. The 30-shot composite group had a mean radius of 0.72”.

The smallest 10-shot group . . .

pmc_bronze_55_fmj_10_shot_group__02-1599971.jpg

….

I took a heavy Del-ton upper with a 16" heavy profile barrel and replaced it with a Faxon "gunner" profile match grade barrel, 223 Wylde, 5R rifling, nitrided,

Still dialing in loads but it was shooting through the same hole at 100 yards with off the shelf PMC bronze.
Laughin' here.................was that all 10 shots through that same hole, too?

It's nonsense like this that has put this place in the shitter lately..........................just sayin'.

MM

PMC Bronze 55 Grain FMJ

I evaluated the accuracy (technically, the precision) of the PMC Bronze 55 grain FMJ ammunition using my 20” stainless-steel Lothar-Walther barreled AR-15. This barrel has a 223 Wylde chamber with a 1:8” twist.

Three 10-shot groups fired in a row from my bench-rest set-up at a distance of 100 yards had the following extreme spreads:

2.22”

1.82”

2.15”

for a 10-shot average extreme spread of 2.06”. The 30-shot composite group had a mean radius of 0.72”.

The smallest 10-shot group . . .

pmc_bronze_55_fmj_10_shot_group__02-1599971.jpg

….
Did you want a blow-job and a bag of chips to go with all that too? (and no, I'm not offering either.)

You state that you want "at least 1 moa precision", yet you're looking at cheap-ass PSA uppers? It's kind of hard to take you seriously with statements like that. Also, there's no such thing as a "do-it-all lightweight" AR-15 upper group.

On the off chance that you're not just trolling, you might want to adjust your expectations; more money (custom build) or less precision or more weight or a shorter barrel. The only factory assembled upper receiver group that I've tested that would even approach your expectations is the Bravo Company 14.5" ELW.

Bravo Company 14.5” ELW Accuracy: A Quick Look

ELW stands for enhanced light-weight. This barrel is from Bravo Company’s cold-hammer forged series of barrels. The barrel has a “continuous taper” design with a smooth shoulder at the gas block journal, which reportedly improves barrel harmonics. This barrel has a mid-length gas system and a 0.625” gas block journal.

According to Bravo Company, this barrel has a stripped weight of 1 pound, 5 ounces. For comparison, a Colt 14.5” M4 barrel has a stripped weight of 1 pound, 9 ounces.

BCM 14.5” ELW

bcm_elw_stock_phonto_01_resized-1298250.jpg

Colt 14.5” M4 barrel. (not stripped)

colt_m4_barrel_01_resized-1298030.jpg

I purchased this barrel as part of a BCM factory assembled upper receiver group with the MCMR 13” free-float hand guard. The barrel has BCM’s pinned and welded A2X flash hider.

Shooting off-the-bench at a distance of 100 yards (using a high magnification scope), this barrel produced a 10-shot group that has an extreme spread of 0.946” with a mean radius of 0.33”.

bcm_elw_10_shot_group_at_100_yards_01_re-1253570.jpg

bcm_14_5_elw_001_resized_08-1253427.jpg

….

Hah, hey, a guy can dream, can't he? I'm open to grabbing another BCM upper, but my last one was consistently more of a 1.5 moa rifle with match ammo.

I've only bought the one AR previously; wasn't aware to what degree PSA's products were sub-par, but that's why I ask for advice hah. From what I can tell, Triarc, Aero, and BCM are all offering assembled uppers that would meet my desired output.

Honestly, I'm now considering purchasing parts, assembling custom, and selling my current upper. Probably would go 14.5" and have someone locally pin and weld the muzzle. My LGS is quoting $150 to assemble an upper, not including a pin and weld.

Aluminum handguard custom:
Criterion 14.5" Core Series, Mid-Length Gas $290- 1.65 lbs
Superlative arms .625" adjustable gas block $100 - 0.09 lbs
Gas tube mid length $20 - 0.04 lbs
Aero precision M4E1 enhanced upper receiver $160 - 0.64 lbs
Aero Precision Atlas S-One M-lok, 12" - $185 - 0.73 lbs (including mounting hardware)
Total $755, 3.15 lbs

Carbon fiber handguard custom:
Criterion 14.5" Core Series, Mid-Length Gas $290- 1.65 lbs
Superlative arms .625" adjustable gas block $100 - 0.09 lbs
Gas tube mid length $20 - 0.04 lbs
Aero precision assembled upper receiver, no forward assist $109 - 0.41 lbs
Faxon streamline carbon fiber handguard $339 - 0.45 lbs
Total $858 - 2.64 lbs

Off-the shelf:
BCM 14.5" ELW Upper with 13" MCMR Handguard
$711, ~3.3-3.5 lbs
Triarc Custom Upper 14.5" with 13" Handguard
$800, ~3.5 lbs

Current upper is 4.1 lbs without BCG/charging handle for apples to apples comparison.
Muzzle device (rugged 2 port brake) adds 0.18 lbs to any total above.

Last edited:
BCM 14.5" ELW Upper with 13" MCMR Handguard
$711, unknown weight

Current upper is 4.1 lbs without BCG/charging handle for apples to apples comparison.
Muzzle device (rugged 2 port brake) adds 0.18 lbs to any total above.

As shown in the picture above, my BCM 14.5" ELW upper group weighs 4 lbs, 7 ounces. So subtract the weight of the KAC BUISs, the Surefire mini-Scout light and mount and Aimpoint T2 in a Scalarworks mount will give you a good idea of the weight of just the 14.5" ELW upper.

As shown in the picture above, my BCM 14.5" ELW upper group weighs 4 lbs, 7 ounces. So subtract the weight of the KAC BUISs, the Surefire mini-Scout light and mount and Aimpoint T2 in a Scalarworks mount will give you a good idea of the weight of just the 14.5" ELW upper.

Is the BCG in your total as well, or removed?

Gotcha, so pretty light at like 3.3-3.5 lbs without BCG to compare to the others above.
My quick math from googling products:
Surefire mini scout 0.25 lbs
Aimpoint T2 ~0.3 lbs with mount
BUIS, best guess ~0.2 lbs
BCM mil-spec BCG 0.73 lbs

Appreciate the info btw!

Last edited:
My 14.5 BCM with the fluted enhanced profile lightweight barrel weighs a little over 7 pounds loaded. This is the original KMR rail that was magnesium. Here is the component list for an idea given the weight:

BCM bolt and carrier
BCM charging handle
BCM KMR 13"
BCM comp pinned and welded
BCM short vertical foregrip
Surefire Fury in an Arisaka mount
Aimpoint Micro in a LaRue mount
Mega lower
BCM stock
H buffer
Troy backup sights
MI rear QD sling mount

My 14.5 BCM with the fluted enhanced profile lightweight barrel weighs a little over 7 pounds loaded. This is the original KMR rail that was magnesium. Here is the component list for an idea given the weight:

BCM bolt and carrier
BCM charging handle
BCM KMR 13"
BCM comp pinned and welded
BCM short vertical foregrip
Surefire Fury in an Arisaka mount
Aimpoint Micro in a LaRue mount
Mega lower
BCM stock
H buffer
Troy backup sights
MI rear QD sling mount

Badass! I swung by my LGS today to compare some BCM updated rails and such firsthand... and the shelves were completely empty other than some .350 Legend boxes. This pandemic is the worst.

BCM® MK2 BFH 14.5" Mid Length (ENHANCED Light Weight) Upper Receiver Group w/ MCMR-13 Handguard Price: $710.90
BCM® Bolt Carrier Group (MPI) - Auto Price: $189.00
BCMGUNFIGHTER™ Ambidextrous Charging Handle (5.56mm/.223) Mod 3X3 (LARGE) Latches Price: $56.95
BCM® Folding Battle Sight - REAR (mfg by Troy Ind) - Black Price: $119.00
BCM® Folding Battle Sight - Front - M4 Type - (mfg by Troy Ind) Price: $99.00

Total: $1,268.90

Knight's SR-15 E3 14.5IN Mod 2 Upper Receiver Complete with BCG, charging handle and KAC BUIS
Weight: 4.0lbs (1.8kg)
Total: $1599.00

For the difference it's worth getting the KAC

BCM® MK2 BFH 14.5" Mid Length (ENHANCED Light Weight) Upper Receiver Group w/ MCMR-13 Handguard Price: $710.90
BCM® Bolt Carrier Group (MPI) - Auto Price: $189.00
BCMGUNFIGHTER™ Ambidextrous Charging Handle (5.56mm/.223) Mod 3X3 (LARGE) Latches Price: $56.95
BCM® Folding Battle Sight - REAR (mfg by Troy Ind) - Black Price: $119.00
BCM® Folding Battle Sight - Front - M4 Type - (mfg by Troy Ind) Price: $99.00

Total: $1,268.90

Knight's SR-15 E3 14.5IN Mod 2 Upper Receiver Complete with BCG, charging handle and KAC BUIS
Weight: 4.0lbs (1.8kg)
Total: $1599.00

For the difference it's worth getting the KAC

To get my dumb questions out of the way, what makes KAC so special? Are their barrels higher quality/more accurate? That much more dependable than BCM (everyone I hear from seems to regard BCM as top notch for reliability)? Do they hold their value that much more?

Of all the little things, I'm digging the handguards that include a QD mount in the actual rail itself (like KAC's, Triarc's, or Aero's), obviating the need for some extra M-Lok QD mounts.

To get my dumb questions out of the way, what makes KAC so special? Are their barrels higher quality/more accurate? That much more dependable than BCM (everyone I hear from seems to regard BCM as top notch for reliability)? Do they hold their value that much more?

Of all the little things, I'm digging the handguards that include a QD mount in the actual rail itself (like KAC's, Triarc's, or Aero's), obviating the need for some extra M-Lok QD mounts.

KAC has an enhanced bolt assembly, which increase life and durability and a sand cutter bolt carrier. Lots of research that went into the rifle when Eugene Stoner was working for them, hence the SR-15 (Stoner Rifle).

Probably something to do with being service related. He's Air Force.

Haha I swear Garand Thumbs videos are 90% him talking into the camera. It's probably inferior for the youtube money's, but I wish more of these videos were concise, factual, and threw some data tables on screen, like the "Alex on Autos" car reviews. Sweet carbine though.

KAC has an enhanced bolt assembly, which increase life and durability and a sand cutter bolt carrier. Lots of research that went into the rifle when Eugene Stoner was working for them, hence the SR-15 (Stoner Rifle).

SR-15 don't come standard with the sand cutter carrier.

Reactions: Shooter McGavin