• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Do you de-prime before you do your first cleaning?

KurtM

Private
Minuteman
Jan 9, 2009
Oregon
I've been sizing and depriming before cleaning my brass in the tumbler. Should I tumble and clean before this step? Or is that just adding an extra step.

I guess it comes down to the issue of whether I should resize "dirty" brass.

Thanks

Re: Do you de-prime before you do your first cleaning?

I tumble, neck size/deprime, uniform/clean primer pockets, trim and load my precicion rounds that do not need lube to resize.

for rounds that I full length size which need lube, I tumble a second time after all of the case prep is done to get the lube off before loading.

One more thing, resizing dirty cases could damage your dies over time, so its always a good idea to tumble them for 1-2 hours before resizing.

I clean first, but as long as you're not running sandy or gritty, lubed cases into your resizing die, you're not hurting yourself. After you clean, you need to check your flash holes for media obstruction.

I clean, lube-deprime-resize, then clean the (rifle) cases by hand with a damp cloth infused with some cleaning detergent that cuts grease, let them dry and proceed to any other prep or load them up.

My brass does not hit the floor nor ground--this allows me to do everything to the case (prior to starting to put new components into the case) before dumping them in the tumbler overnight.

I tumble first then FL resize. After that, they go back thru the trumbler to get the lube off. I will then do the rest of the brass prep. I will usually let them ride thru the tumbler one more time before loading.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 168grSolution</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've been sizing and depriming before cleaning my brass in the tumbler. Should I tumble and clean before this step? Or is that just adding an extra step.

I guess it comes down to the issue of whether I should resize "dirty" brass.

Thanks </div></div>

I always tumble them clean, even though my bolt gun stuff could probably be reloaded without cleaning.

You wouldn't mow the entire lawn on a hot summer's day and then come in to make love to your wife, or girl friend, without showering, would you?

Flash holes get clogged anyhow, so I try not to do it as a rule, although I have. This is why I prefer to use a water soluable case lube, as it comes right off with a damp shop rag. No tumbling needed.

Chris

I never resize(FL) dirty brass. I use a Lee decapping die (about $8.00) to deprime my brass after shooting. Some say media clogs in the primer pocket. I keep my media on the dry side so it's not much of an issue. If you use a lot of polish you would probably be better or tumbling first.

I've resized many, many thousands of cases, all while dirty.
I have done this for about seven years and personally feel that no significant harm is being done to my dies. Actually they seem to get better and better with use (RCBS FL dies).
So I now only tumble once and I remove flash hole media while I sort. I often mix calibers and head stamps since I have to inspect the flash hole, and thus the head stamp, anyways.
I see now that I am alone in this, but it has been working well for me. I think that my dies will still far outlast me. If they don't I'll get Redding dies and change.

If my brass has a lot of dirt and grit on it I prewash it with water in the sink though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If my brass has a lot of dirt and grit on it I prewash it with water in the sink though </div></div>

Using water purified in a reverse osmosis process? And of course you know stainless steel sinks will cause electrolysis?

grin.gif

I agree with Rovieairto, several thousand match rds from a bolt rifle and no worries. Using RCBS Comp. dies ,trim if needed,lube fl-deprime,tumble,check/sort brass,and clean with alcohol on a q-tip/rag. But I keep my ears open to new ideas too.

I'm new to reloading but I dont know. I shoot a bolt gun so the cases stay reasonably clean after firing but..... The thought of spraying lube on dirty cases then FL resizing just doesn't seem like the right thing to do.

I never even bothered to clean cases for the first 4 years I was loading.

Now I tumble them before decapping or loading, and I tumble the loaded rounds to remove the lube.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: queequeg</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If my brass has a lot of dirt and grit on it I prewash it with water in the sink though </div></div>

Using water purified in a reverse osmosis process? And of course you know stainless steel sinks will cause electrolysis?

grin.gif
</div></div>

I'm not sure that I understand that statement.

I have never tumbled any cases before resizing them. I have got a couple of dies that have had thousands of cases run through them with no problems. I tumble after resizing to make them purdy and to get the lube off of them.

David

No, then I wipe each case before F/L sizing to remove dust, abrasive, etc., than again after loading to remove lube. I use RCBS water soluble lube and the final wipe is with a cloth dampened in rubbing alky.

I think it is imperative to clean and lightly oil my die interiors after using water soluble lube, to prevent any tendency toward corrosion.

Greg

As a tip...I have been using with success a water soluable lube...go to hardware or electrical supply store (Lowe's or Ace or Home Depot has it) and get a bottle of "wire pulling lube". One bottle will last a lifetime.

Decap, then ultrasonic clean, then size, and trim if needed, then into the tumbler.
There are lots of dies out there that are full of scratches that "work just fine". I just
bought a used set of fairly expensive dies and the full length die is scratched up
pretty bad. Doesn't hurt anything as long as the high spots are polished off by purpose or by use. It's nice not having all the dirt and crap in the cases and primer
pockets all over your loading press as well. And your tumbler walnut is forever when
it doesn't see all that dirt.

Damn, I should have known that bit about the pulling lube, I used to do that sort of stuff in the Corps.

Greg