• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Do you guys prefer MIL or MOA?

The dude confused.gif

R

All this mills and moas, y’all jsut don’t no nothin about hittin them targets.

us Motar Men, we know all about getting the rounds on target. Our spotter tells us the YARDAGE we need to move and we put our rounds right there, to the total disgust of those who don’t like us. To accomplish this goal, first we have to lay the tube…..The process is quite simple..See description below. (This is why my son described mortar men of which I am one as, “infantry who can do math.”

Gun laying is a set of actions to align the axis of a gun barrel so that it points in the required direction. This alignment is in the horizontal and vertical planes. A gun is "traversed" (rotated in a horizontal plane) to align it with the target, and "elevated" (moved in the vertical plane) to range it to the target. Gun laying may be for direct fire, where the layer sees the target, or indirect fire, where the target may not be visible from the gun. Gun laying has sometimes been called "training the gun".

Laying in the vertical plane (elevation angle) uses data derived from trials or empirical experience. For any given gun and projectile types, it reflects the distance to the target and the size of the propellant charge. It also incorporates any differences in height between gun and target. With indirect fire, it may allow for other variables as well.

Depending on the gun mount, there is usually a choice of two trajectories that will result in the shot landing in the same spot. The dividing angle between the trajectories is about 45 degrees (usually between 0 degrees and 90 degrees), it varies slightly due to gun dependent factors. Below 45 degrees the trajectory is called "low angle" (or lower register), above 45 degrees is "high angle" (or upper register). The differences are that low angle fire has a shorter time of flight, a lower vertex, and flatter angle of descent.

All guns have carriages or mountings that support the barrel assembly (called the ordnance in some countries). Early guns could only be traversed by moving their entire carriage or mounting, and this lasted with heavy artillery into World War II. Mountings could be fitted into traversing turrets on ships, coast defences or tanks. From circa 1900 field artillery carriages provided traverse without moving the wheels and trail.

The carriage, or mounting, also enabled the barrel to be set at the required elevation angle. With some gun mounts it is possible to depress the gun, i.e., move it in the vertical plane to point it below the horizon. Some guns require a near-horizontal elevation for loading. An essential capability for any elevation mechanism is to prevent the weight of the barrel forcing its heavier end downward. This is greatly helped by having trunnions (around which the elevating mass rotates vertically) at the centre of gravity, although a counterbalance mechanism can be used. It also means the elevation gear has to be strong enough to resist considerable downward pressure but still be easy for the gun layer to use.

Final thought. We were tested on completing this task successfully. It was not just setting the tube up, it was doing it in a time limit. I scored Expert, thank you very much.

And you fellows who shoot PRS think you are under a stressful time limit. Mortar Men had to do this in time when their targets were shooting back at us.

Tube jockey talk ...tldr

b4d3aeee8c280bf399a216809e57bf35.gif

Or let’s do which is the best 6mm. BR, BRX, BRA, Dasher, Creedmoor, ARC, .243, 6mm Remington, 240 Weatherby, 240 H&H, 24 Nosler, 6mm PPC, 6x47, 6mm TCU and of course the best of the best 6mm’s, the 6GT.

You boys thinking everything is cute sound like you still be trying to figure how to do your moa.

I have MIL scopes.
I have MOA scopes.
I have FFP scopes.
I have SFP scopes.
I once had a scope that was supposedly inch per hundred yards.
I have no real preference between MIL or MOA. I do prefer SFP for hunting, so the vast majority of my shooting and preparations. 500 and in, it's almost a gimme.
No matter the scope, I see that I was aiming "here" but hit "over there". I look at the marks in the reticle and think, okay, over there about that much and up/down about this much and try again. If I'm going to make more than just a couple of trigger pulls, I MIGHT dial some correction. If I have lots of time, like when I'm killing rocks that need killing, I will use the LRF and Kestrel and try to make my best guess at dialing for a first round hit.
Pretty much the same for me.

I had no idea what an MOA or a Mil was when I bought my first scope almost 30 years ago. It had MOA adjustments that used a screwdriver to adjust. I shot a lot of prairie dogs with it even though I had no idea what a BC was.

About 10 years ago I learned the things that were need to hit targets at distance. If I'm hanging out with my tactical/PRS buddies, I bring the mil scope but only so we can speak the same language.

Reactions: Aftermath
giphy.gif

Use the search function. Do not try to use linear measurements for angular measurement. Once you "get it", you'll understand that's like trying to find the volume of a sphere using temperature.
"I can smell the colour '9' ".
-george floyd, probably.

• Haha
Reactions: Alphatreedog
No preference on this dogtag ...I use both MOA & MIL, plus a couple mismatch mil reticle moa scope turrent, and actually like them. Depending on the use, I prefer 2nd focal plane most of the time, but have those expensive 1st FP scopes too.
Just like the 308 Win and the 6.5 Creedmoor, I use both.

No preference on this dogtag ...I use both MOA & MIL, plus a couple mismatch mil reticle moa scope turrent, and actually like them. Depending on the use, I prefer 2nd focal plane most of the time, but have those expensive 1st FP scopes too.
Just like the 308 Win and the 6.5 Creedmoor, I use both.
WTF did you just say? You do not taint the Lord’s calibers with MOA…

Do you guys prefer MIL or MOA?​

Da fuk ?

I prefer a blow job.

The numbers on a scopes turrets mean dick.
Turn the dial to make it hit where you want, done.

I have both mil and moa scopes.....
They both do what I desire.
Turn the knob, the point of impact changes.
The numbers mean dick.

Reactions: MarshallDodge
Da fuk ?

I prefer a blow job.

The numbers on a scopes turrets mean dick.
Turn the dial to make it hit where you want, done.

I have both mil and moa scopes.....
They both do what I desire.
Turn the knob, the point of impact changes.
The numbers mean dick.
Do you even shoot?

Some train wrecks come & some go.
Some never do, and it seems its always the same fans, why would that be? Its easy to see the lacking, once the truth is presented. Some just try to justify their tool choice. Owning a tool or toy, does not imply ownership ability to properly use same.

Ask not, what Mill or MOA can do for you.

Instead, ask how the sights on an M1-A work and you will be on the path to enlightenment.

Iron and wood.

Don’t bring your smelly taint into this Kemosabe. Keep that in the underwear barn where it belongs.
I have it from a very reliable source that JSOC only shoots MILS. Either you’re JSOC or just a bunch of pussies and faggots. Unless you stick your lips to JSOC phallus, and then the aura sticks to you as well!

1704560429515.gif

How about an old Mark 4 with SFP with Moa turrets and mil reticle
My mark ar was iphy windage, moa elevation, mil reticle, sfp. Gave it to my FIL to replace a tasco that had a broken reticle on a marlin model 60 22lr. Explained all of the above as caveats on the scope.

I didn’t see 30.06 mentioned?
That’s truly the Lord’s caliber.
I think HE changed his mind,... as the message I received, is that, it's the "magical" 6.5 CM, probably created by Him.
Where no scope is even needed, and MIL and MOA are exactly the same, but only on the miracle caliber, the 6.5 CM.
Time to change your ways...

Cubits are only used to measure earth rotation when I am measuring coriolis.

I also measure powder in barleycorns... but only for rounds greater than 1/80th chain.

Sirhr
But that’s only works in the Northern hemisphere white shooting south.

There is an app for this.

The 8 Ball says, "Yes" ... To ..." Is the earth is Flat?"
The break through university level study was repeated several times with the same exact answer.
So none of it matters,... armed with this scientific proof, will make your shooting endeavors less stressful...