• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Do you shoot your AR in the rain?

Re: Do you shoot your AR in the rain?

I too have pondered these questions. What I came up with was to fire my rifle while IN the pelican case, tie a string to the trigger and shut the lid, works great keeping my precious dry, a little tricky on aiming, hope this insight helps

Aubie said:
I would introduce myself Ranger but I'm actually moving on Friday. Heading to Millington, TN.

Smoke, I'm just finishing up a 3 year tour on the OHIO (SSGN). Rolling to shore duty in TN.

I'm definitely not afraid to ask stupid questions and have pretty thick skin. I would say I'm even bolder on the internet but I ask dumb shit all the time in person!
laugh.gif
Thats cool... Thats a big ass boomer! I remember working on two Ohio class boomers (The Nevada and the Michigan). (I think those were the names.)I mostly repaired fast attacks 637's and 688 class boats. Hey you are moving closer to us. We are fairly close to Tenn. Come up and we can shoot. We have a few good ranges here. And plenty of people to shoot with.
I have been friends with many bubbleheads/submariners.
You guys are way smarter than you look...Hahahahahahaha!
Just kidding.....A little Navy Humor.
.....SmokeRolls

i shoot all my guns in the rain, its just water.

I think every gun (even the AR) I own has been in the rain. You should see my pumpgun after a hard day of duck hunting in Louisiana. I've had to dunk it in the lake to thaw it out, dunk it to get the mud out of the action, etc. I can tell you that a shotgun (empty of course) doesn't make a very good boat paddle....don't ask how I know this.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Aubie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Kind of what I figured I was going to get for answers.

Thanks for being so gentle with me! </div></div>

No problem.....

TIP:
Before I take my airsoft ak in the rain, I rub Rain-X all over it. I make sure to use a shower cap and I borrow my wife's pink thong, wearing it backwards to split my nuts...

Hope it helps...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Anchor Zero Six</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sandrat, I like taking pics of my guns with cans too...since we can't use them in WA
wink.gif
</div></div>

Anchor,I am an Employee of the Mfr and Legal for Test,Evaluation and Demo Purposes in WA.Actually the PNW Sales Rep.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: M@D-M@X</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Aubie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Kind of what I figured I was going to get for answers.

No problem.....

TIP:
Before I take my airsoft ak in the rain, I rub Rain-X all over it. I make sure to use a shower cap and I borrow my wife's pink thong, wearing it backwards to split my nuts...

Hope it helps...</div></div>

Why won't this thread die??
laugh.gif

That's it.. I'm changing my name!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Aubie</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: M@D-M@X</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Aubie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Kind of what I figured I was going to get for answers.

No problem.....

TIP:

Hope it helps...</div></div>

Why won't this thread die??
laugh.gif

That's it.. I'm changing my name! </div></div>

We are just busting your balls,but with the threat to change your name..................you can run..............but you can't hide !!!!!!

We need a New Topic in the Bear Pit:

"Aubie Wants to Change His Name,Any Suggestions ??? "

I'll second RAINMAN as suggested by AXEMAN

I have two kinds of guns: collector's items, and tools. The tools get used hard. Rain, snow, sleet, mud, dust, sand, whatever. It's a tool, and I take care of it AFTER I use it. That's why most of my rifles are composite stocks and coated metal surfaces.
I have a few with pretty wood, blued barrels, and gold inlays that are more on the collector's item side, but they get used, only in better conditions and more carefully. I don't really want to be worrying about scratching/dinging the finish or scarring up the stock when I'm trying to make a stalk or run drills.
Different purposes, different rifles. Figure out what you want to use it for, and treat it accordingly.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: banks74</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The rain is the best time to shoot because, alot of people are pussies and this means the range/blm will be less crowded. A win win situation. </div></div>

Agreed, rain, snow, heat, the best time at the range, it is all to myself usually.

If it is raining, I cover my target with saran wrap. I want to be comfortable and familiar with all conditions, not just the ideal condition.
myerfire

RAINMAN LMFAO

shoot no matter whats out side

I love an empty range.

edited to say.

my girlfriend kept complaining about the glock beside the pool it is going to get wet. Got tired of it and through it in the pool. Never heard a word again about getting my guns wet.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Aubie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So I am moving and tomorrow is my last chance to go out and shoot with some good friends of mine. The weather is calling for scattered showers and if it's anything like today it'll be a real light rainfall all day. I'm hesitant to get my rifles wet but I would think they could stand up to elements pretty well.

What do you guys think? Call it off or quit being so protective of my guns?

EDIT: Shooting in the woods so no chance of a covered outdoor range.</div></div>

Well, seeing that you don't hold car races in the wet in the US (Indy) I understand your problem
laugh.gif

I always stay home when it rains. That way I can still train inside. If I train to fight inside when it rains, I'll do well when the fight happens in my house during a storm.

If its raining, stay home. While you're there, pack up that rifle and send it to me....

While I tend to pamper the hardware, the real excuse for not playing in the rain is simply me being a whimp.
Keep the optics somewhat dry, clean 'em afterwards, and go enjoy!
Course living in te desert makes this a small concern here.

my last AR melted in the rain so now I only shoot AK's in the local downpours "end sarcasm"

Well you could have used a condom for protection...

Go out and train with that AR in a downpour and learn why there is still a place for fixed sights.

In the Army when it would rain we took out our poncho's and wrapped our rifles in them ... put the war/training on pause ... and waited.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Aubie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Kind of what I figured I was going to get for answers.

Oh its ok..My wife hates going out in the rain too..
But those of us who are limited on availability to shoot will jump at any chance to get out and go anywhere to shoot

So, your screen name doesn't have anything to do with a certain college that is playing football right now does it?

BRO!! you will forever be "RAIN MAN" to me in this forum... This should also be added to the "things you dont ask" thread if it hasnt been, complete with link.

The reason I wouldnt shoot my AR when its raining, is the SAME reason I wouldnt have sex when its raining...

answer: there is NO REASON!! Your gunna get wet doing both...

the only gun i wont shoot in the rain civil war black powder rifles keep your powder dry men.

Aubie---dude you've been stationed here for the last 3 years. Other than while underway, what did you do when it was raining? Considering that it almost never rains here in the PNW except from Laborday till 4th of July
Also, I have it on good authority --- it does rain in Millington.

Aubie you must have spent some time in my neck of the woods here in Groton. Actually, I am looking out the window now at the piers with some big black tubes tied up
wink.gif

There are 2 places you can usually find my cleaning my M4. The shower, and the deep sink. My gun doesn't miss a beat. I don't think a little rain is going to bother your gun. There is a saying i'm sure many have heard. If it raining you aint training.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: longeyes</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Aubie---dude you've been stationed here for the last 3 years. Other than while underway, what did you do when it was raining? Considering that it almost never rains here in the PNW except from Laborday till 4th of July
Also, I have it on good authority --- it does rain in Millington. </div></div>

I just didn't shoot in the rain. I've only been shooting for about a year now and the summer I was home for it did not rain a whole lot. I still choose not to do it, simply so I don't get wet. I was just wondering because it was out of necessity and wanted to see if anyone did anything special to prep their weapons before shooting or did anything special after they shot.

Rob I've spent a lot of time in Groton. I did new construction at EB and went to SOBC there. I didn't do any shooting while I was in CT though. Most people I know didn't like Groton (except for the people from the Northeast) but I actually kind of enjoyed living there.

Well if you are ever back this way let me know and maybe we can make a range day.

I spray on my rifles down in RainX for easy water repellent. I have also installed some custom wipers for my scopes objective. I am very happy with them and they are working great for my monsoon sniping.

I spray rain x in my eyes to keep them water resistant so i can see, i dip my entire rifle in rhino lining, attach the picatinny rail adapted umbrella to my snipery scope ring cap, and if you loose water resistance at the muzzle end due to firing I make sure to secure the barrel in my cornhole between shots

My rifle will melt. Suger and spice and everything nice thats what my rifle is made from.

Drive a stake thorugh it's heart and let this thread die!
Smile
RTH

Wow, I'm shocked you guys have been so polite in your responses to this (admittedly laughable) question. Has there been a crackdown regarding etiquette lately that I missed?

Seriously though Aubie- you only need to worry about the steel components of your AR in the rain and even they should be coated and protected in some form or another. No big deal.

Shit if you don't shoot in the rain around here yyou don't shoot.

I shoot everything in the rain, that's what they make oil for.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ArcticLight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Shit if you don't shoot in the rain around here yyou don't shoot.

I shoot everything in the rain, that's what they make oil for. </div></div>

Amen to that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ArcticLight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Shit if you don't shoot in the rain around here yyou don't shoot.

I shoot everything in the rain, that's what they make oil for.</div></div>

No BS there.