• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Does any of you use a 3 way cutter?

tickled pink

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 29, 2010
Just north of Atlanta
I have used these for years and think they do an excellent job on trimming brass. Any comment about them?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-02-22 at 12.29.03 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2014-02-22 at 12.29.03 AM.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 36
Yup. All my .308, .223, and x39 brass goes through one. Like you said, years of use without an issue. My only problem with them is that even the carbide cutters only seem to last 6-8k rounds. Fortunately, RCBS just keeps replacing them.

Yeah, they are great. They make a huge difference in time and uniformity over doing every step differently.

RCBSTrimPro3-WayCutter22CaliberL-1.jpg

This is trimming, inner chamfer, and outer chamfer every 6 seconds with drill press or vertical mill with the RCBS 3-way

View attachment 30819

This is trimming, inner chamfer, and outer chamfer every 6 seconds with drill press or vertical mill with the RCBS 3-way

Is this your set up in the video? I have one of these three way cutting heads I bought for my rcbs trimmer I used with a hand drill, but I also have the forster power trimmer on my drill press and find it is easier to use. I would love to mount the 3 way cutter but not sure how to chuck it into my drill press. What did you use as a shaft/adapter?

DSCF6574.jpgRCBS Trim Pro 2 parts diagram 2-24-2014.JPG
Is this your set up in the video? I have one of these three way cutting heads I bought for my rcbs trimmer I used with a hand drill, but I also have the forster power trimmer on my drill press and find it is easier to use. I would love to mount the 3 way cutter but not sure how to chuck it into my drill press. What did you use as a shaft/adapter?

Yes, that is my video.
I took the 0.0495" diameter shaft with 3/8-24 UNF class 1A internal threads [that fits the RCBS 3-way cutter] from my RCBS Trim Pro manual trimmer.

A breakdown can be seen on page 12 or 13 of
http://www.rcbs.com/downloads/Parts_Book.pdf

RCBS Trim Pro 2 RTC Cutter shaft (3) [RCBS part number 09405]

I either put that RCBS shaft in a 1/2" chuck in the mill or a 1/2" R8 collet in the mill.
I have had the RCBS shaft in the drill press chuck for neck turning, but that was something else.
My drill press is a 50 year old 15-017 Rockwell with 3/8" chuck that I updated to an Enco 0-1/2 X 33 JT KEYLESS DRILL CHUCK.

I updated the video notes on the parts used
1) RCBS Trim Pro 3-Way Cutter 22 Caliber,2) Lee threaded Shellholder 223, [Lee case gauge and shell holder 90114, but not using the gauge]
3) Lee Lock stud, [Lee cutter and stud 90110, but not using the cutter]
4) 1963 21-100 Rockwell mill,
5) 6" Kurt vise,
6) small needle nose vise grips,
7) 0.0495" diameter RCBS trim pro cutter shaft part number 09405

Last edited:

Forster also makes a 3 way cutter that mounts right on the current cutter shaft. It's a pretty slick setup. I've been looking into it as well.

I am in need of a new trimmer and I would like to keep it simple and some what cheap. I take it I can use this cutter with a RCBS trimmer and a drill? I don't want to spend the money for their electric set up. I think it's right around $250 or so. If I can get a manual trimmer with a drill adapter and the three way cutter I will be happier than a pig in shit!

I am in need of a new trimmer and I would like to keep it simple and some what cheap. I take it I can use this cutter with a RCBS trimmer and a drill? I don't want to spend the money for their electric set up. I think it's right around $250 or so. If I can get a manual trimmer with a drill adapter and the three way cutter I will be happier than a pig in shit!

You can do that but the drill adapter isn't that great. After stripping three of them I bought a 1/2" chuck for my drill and just put the shaft directly into the drill.

I bought the drill adapter first then I just bought a longer screw and chuck the drill onto the screw the RCBS trimmer is mounted on a 2x6, I screwed a 2x4 onto the 2x6 for the drill to rest on, I use a 3/8 dewalt electric drill. Easy to use portable and stable. 3 way trimmer is nice

i'm using the 3-way trimmer from Forster and it is the bomb!!! It should be preset from factory and all you have to do is exchange cutter heads and set. Simple and works beautifully. I have no experience with the RCBS but it can't be any simplier than the Forster. I also use their inside neck reamer on my unsized brass to clean out any high spots.

In mid 2012 I was working on converting:
1) 7x57 rimmed to 257 Roberts Ackley Improved rimmed
2) Lapua 308 Win Palma small primer to 260 small primer

I could not get RCBS nor could I get Forster 3 way trimmers to support that in time for the 2012 hunting season.
After neck turning, I had to do the trimming and chamfering the slow way.

It looks like availability is still not good on much of the 3 way gear.