• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Does anybody actually use keymod systems anymore?

GetReal

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Apr 15, 2020
I use everything straight up M-lok .... rails, attachments, everything.

Far as I can tell, only mouth breathers use keymod. :)

got 2 ar's with key mod not a problem one have I had with either of the two guns then again I am not bashing them on anything just to see if I can break them so it should last more than my life time . Have 3 with the m-lok and they also work really nicely no complaints there either . I am just not about to take something off and replace what they have that is working . We even have on that has drilled holes in metal and nuts and bolts holding it together it works without question and was cheaper than either of the other two

Last edited:
Reactions: Ravenworks
I have three rifles that have key mod and two of them is because that was available at the time and they are monolithic, so I can't change out the rail. The other is a BCM KMR and its really light and on a 3 gun upper, so no need to change it. All others have been changed or built with Mlok.

I think the biggest thing Re: Keymod is it's falling out of favor for a number of reasons. Those that have them are fine just so long as they aren't wanting a gazillion options for accessories, especially going forward. If you already have the stuff for it there is no need to throw it away.

From my understanding the manufacturing process is much cheaper, faster, and easier for MLok, hence a lot of manufacturers are starting to simply quit offering dual mounting solutions. I think I've heard that MLok tested a bit better but not so much that an average shooter would necessarily start breaking them.

For me I want everything to be cross compatible. If I buy a section of pic rail for one gun, I want to be able to take it off and swap it to a new one if I want to. Every now and then I get the notion to try and reconfigure something.

I use everything straight up M-lok .... rails, attachments, everything.
1620147039634.png

I see no reason to spend hundreds to change out my keymod stuff. I’m not easy on my gear and I’ve never had an issue with it or even heard of a real world issue.

Reactions: Animal357
Personally, I hate them both. Rather have screw-on rails

I see no reason to spend hundreds to change out my keymod stuff. I’m not easy on my gear and I’ve never had an issue with it or even heard of a real world issue.
The only issue of 'breakage' that I've ever seen (when using a fairly quality rail) was a guy that insisted on having his suppressor tucked under his handguard. One day he tried shooting it unsuppressed. Needless to say his handguard came up short(er) real quick. :ROFLMAO: ;)

The fact is most handguards are not going to be broken by average users regardless of what mounting system is on them. It's just a matter of if a person gets a second upper/new gun/wants a bipod mount/needs a new wigit...what is compatible and what is available?

There is no denying that these days the selection for options for Mlok is more. If someone is starting from scratch there is no reason to go any other direction than MLok. If that person has a box full of keymod accessories though there is no reason to switch.

Reactions: Rerun7
From my understanding the manufacturing process is much cheaper, faster, and easier for MLok,

LOL.......................no

It's a slot cut into an extruded aluminum pipe. Whether the hole is rectangle with rounded corners (MLOK) or a lollipop (keymod) it costs the same to cut them if you use the same manufacturing process for both.

In a mass production setting, most likely a bunch of forends are loaded in a tombstone fixture in a horizontal machining center and you start cutting slots. The shape of the slot doesn't matter.

And yet.......AND YET....... all you mil guys brag about your MOA groups. Checkmate bitches
atleast my pecker is too big to measure a sub MOA group with, 2 MOA maybe 😂

Accuracy International and the guy who designs reticles at NightForce

Just like VHS and Beta. Mlok won out for whatever reason. Both are good but I prefer Keymod just because I find it easier to attach a component vs. Mlok. I have some of both. Probably will see much more Mlok stuff and likely see Keymod disappear. Just like Beta.

Reactions: Steel+Killer
When both were 'new' I got 2 SR15s with Keymod rails on them. I still have them and one of them is used almost daily.

I'm also not trying to change shit out on them 15 times a week as the setup I use is something I've honed over the last 15 years on carbines. I have no intention of changing the rail just to get another rail, to set up exactly the same way.

Funny enough, I found the keymod to be easier to attach/remove things to and stayed locked down better than the MLOK I used on other peoples' rifles.

Everything else is 1913.

LOL.......................no

It's a slot cut into an extruded aluminum pipe. Whether the hole is rectangle with rounded corners (MLOK) or a lollipop (keymod) it costs the same to cut them if you use the same manufacturing process for both.

In a mass production setting, most likely a bunch of forends are loaded in a tombstone fixture in a horizontal machining center and you start cutting slots. The shape of the slot doesn't matter.

Keymod and Keyslot are more that just a "lollipop" shaped slot. Keymod uses an undercut of the straight portion of the keyhole:

ISR_KeyMod_Cutaway_1920x1120.jpg

For Keyslot, the back side of that same area has a conical feature (similar to a countersink), which recieves the conical head of the mating screw. This provides better retention.

It may not be terribly difficult to form these features, but such an undercut would require more machine time than a simple slot.

It may not be terribly difficult to form these features, but such an undercut would require more machine time than a simple slot.
I am no machinist but I know that on top of that, before many manufacturers ran two different sets of set ups and tooling. One for Mlok and one for Keymod. If Mlok sales are up year over year 1200% and Keymod is down 75% and neither have any indication of stopping their trajectories anytime soon it doesn't take a genius to figure out what a lot of manufacturers will do.

( Sheepishly raises hand 😝 ) " I'm a Keymod guy". Started with it - stayed with it. The Military going with M-lok provided its' legitimacy. But as alamo5000 said - it's days are probably somewhat numbered.

I am no machinist but I know that on top of that, before many manufacturers ran two different sets of set ups and tooling. One for Mlok and one for Keymod. I
Who are those poors who don't have at least five axis, tombstone plates, and a tool magazine in their CNC mills?

I didn't buy into it until I saw the industry moving towards m-lok, and then the testing that showed it retained better was a nail in the coffin.

Face it, mag-pul is established and is plenty big enough to set a trend if they want. Their product worked and they open sourced it so they could sell accessories. It works fine, and I saw no reason to go key-mod because the only damn accessories you can buy are chunks of pic rail.

All I really care about is the fact that I don't have any cheese graters on my rifles. QD adapter on the side, everything else is smooth as shit.

• Haha
Reactions: SilentStalkr
Just like VHS and Beta. Mlok won out for whatever reason. Both are good but I prefer Keymod just because I find it easier to attach a component vs. Mlok. I have some of both. Probably will see much more Mlok stuff and likely see Keymod disappear. Just like Beta.
Magpul designed Mlok and Mil testing said it was marginally better so all the gear queers had to have the latest and "greatest". I'm no longer a door kicker (mil/LE) so I'm perfectly fine with 1913 or Keymod.