• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Does anybody really use there Illumated retical.

summitsitter

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 29, 2008
Crowville, Louisiana
I think this would be pretty cool but I really can't find a practical use for it. Feel me in on wehn and why you guys use yours. For low light hunting I could see maybe but is there any use in paper shooting??

Re: Does anybody really use there Illumated retical.

I only used mine twice, but I was really glad it was there!

Since I am no longer a hunter and matches are in the daylight I never use my illuminated reticle any longer.

only when I need it...not often but glad it's there when I do.

I have one and I have used it twice.... But for the money I was glad I got it up front.

The few people I ahve talked to said even with teh Rheostat cut all the way down at night they where unable to see past the crosshairs. Kind of a blinding effect..Have any of yall had this problem?

Used mine this past march on a pig hunt and oh boy was i glad i had it if not i higly doubt i could have made the shot.

yep works great when trying to shoot a precision shot on a black target .

I use it with nvd on the lowest level works fine but I can use the nvd without it anyway

Nice to have for hunting.Last shooting light and a dark animal against a dark tree line makes your CH kind of hard to see.Also depends on the scope and setting/rheostat.Some seem more practical than others.For predators at night,I use an ACOG.

I use them all the time predator hunting at night. My favorite optic for that though is a trijicon accupoint. Can't say that I've ever had a need for one shooting at paper targets.

It may be a little extra coin, but it's always better to have an option and not be shit out of luck....

Shooting on dark colored targets mine gets used. Or sometimes when the target has little contrast from the background.

I only use it 4-5 times a year but when I need it I am glad I spent the extra $ to have it.

I have never used mine. But when I need it. I'm going too be happy to have it.

I have used mine quite abit when shooting for a "arid recovery group" in cental South Australia, I was mainly after cats and foxes and they would typically run off when first hit by the spotlight but then stop and look back from the top a sand dune, giving me a set of eyes with a black back drop to aim at, illuminated reticules are very handy in this situation.

Re: Does anybody really use there Illumated retica

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: summitsitter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think this would be pretty cool but I really can't find a practical use for it. Feel me in on wehn and why you guys use yours. For low light hunting I could see maybe but is there any use in paper shooting?? </div></div>

On paper on steel, no. While hunting, many times with in a darkened woods/forest during day light hours.

Targets - no.
Hunting - no.
It makes it harder to see the target behind it in low light. I do most of my hunting right on dark, in the twilight, but I've never liked IR.
Having a suitably thick reticle that's visible in low light would be a much better solution. I only got IR because the model of Leupold Mk4 I wanted only came with IR.

i've used mine for 3 matches and like having it regardless. My IOR dosen't have one and i wish it did.

I've used it for hunting in the treeline. Its a must-have for the thin reticles a lot of tactical scopes have these days, they get lost in the brush and shadows pretty easily. If you have a plex reticle then it's really not needed for hunting.

My advice would be to turn it down so low you don't even notice it in normal lighting, but in the shadows it will help pick up the cross hairs without being distracting.

For paper punching or targets, I've never used it and don't see the need.

One of the best questions I have seen posted in awhile.

I ask this of people a lot and they all tell me they do. They are on their guns a lot though and me, not so much outside of the peak vacationers time.

Almost never.

But it was a difference between a hit and miss for the extremely few times that I did.

I used one once. I was shooting with a friend and asked him, "Hey have you ever seen an illuminated reticle?"

"No."

"Here check it out."

That's the only time. Sure am glad it was there.

I use mine for Bobcats and Coyotes at night several times a year with a spotlight. I Never use it target shooting though.

Used it a few times glad I have them.

I hunted & killed few bucks with a illuminated scope for 2 yrs and never turned it on. Sold it here on Sniperhide & Im sure I will not miss it.

It was just a novelty that wore off..

Better to have and not need. All my centerfire optics have lighting. But I RARELY need them.

All my centerfire optics are subject to hunting use, and about 6 years ago (before I got into high end optics) I had a sickening incident. Had a shooter buck come out at the end of shooting light (at a minimum), I had already tied my drop rope to my rifle to descend, and I could not make out my reticle on the buck. Could see the animal easily, but not my crosshairs. It was tough, but I did the right thing and passed on the shot.

Not ever again.

I use mine for hunting varmints and hogs at night and the wind blows like hell here and usually will drop to 5 mph at dusk or stop blowing so i take my 10 mil candle pwr to my range and set it on a desk next to my bench it will light up a black shoot n see target perfect at 100 yds then i will use my lit leupys to zero in my rifles.

nope but have it if needed. and I take the battery out to prevent leak damage just in case. NF NXS

I ordered the Leupold 6-20 today with TMR non illum. retical..i think I'm gonna call tommorrow and see if I can change it to the lum..

I've never seen the point of letting one's eyes adapt to the night, only to then introduce a light source next to the eye.

I use it all the time, in fact most times while I'm dry firing at home, the ol lady has the house so dim I cant really see the ret. on my dark target.

My illuminated reticule is red do it does not impair my night vision.

I use a lit reticle alot and on different rifles. Having the option to use it when the light condition deteriates is well worth having it. Use the lowest setting that will lightly illuminate the aiming point. When on a high setting the crosshairs are to bright when shooting in the shadows or at low-light then it obscures the target..........Turn it down. Shooting a dark colored object or into a shaded area can wash out the crosshairs and make your aiming point dissapear. The lit reticles work and are designed to aid you in aiming when you need to adapt to your environment. Use what works............Lit reticles work.
SmokeRolls

Great for hunting though would suggest testing it before hunting use. I shot an illuminated red-dot on my bow for years. It was difficult to get a spot when illumination level was set too high. Same with the riflescope - I turned down my nightforce factory setting quite a bit to make it usable at night for yotes ...

The couple times I've used it have convinced me that its an option I'd rather have and not need than need and not have.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Only during a couple night stages at matches, but rarely for sure. </div></div>

That or in classes on night shoot.

I've used mine more times showing people what its like than actually shooting targets with it.
But its nice knowing its there if and when I really do need it.

I use mine all the time now of course I'm shooting in the middle of the night without night vision. On my leupold the low settings are great at night and they don't mess with your night vision. On the other hand I've got a cheap centerpoint on my 22 that's illuminated and you could use the low settings at noon on a nice sunny day. If your targets are black then having a contrasting reticle would probably prove to be nice.