• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

does anyone make a barrel shroud?

AXEMAN

General Nuisance
Minuteman
Sep 17, 2009
kansas, topeka
i know they have fake supressors, but i just want a shroud that will cover some of the barrel from the muzzel back to the gasblock. i searched and found one company, alumalite has them for $60, and he isnt replying to emails so i thought id ask. i need 5/8"-24

!B2KCj6Q!Wk~$(KGrHqJ,!jgE)pZOoK4YBMhVON3V!~~_1_75_1_thumb.JPG

its purely cosmetics. thats all i want it for.

Re: does anyone make a barrel shroud?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AXEMAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">anyone have the skills and equipment to make one?? </div></div>

It wouldn't be too hard. It's just contouring aluminum roundstock, boring the center and ID threading. Even on a manual lathe it shouldn't take too long though. If I were allowed to use our shop equipment for personal use I'd probably cook one up over the course of a few lunch breaks. I've never seen/heard of these before but it sounds pretty damn cool.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 357/308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">http://www.kineti-tech.com/barrel-shrouds-1/ </div></div>

thank you sir, i appreciate it. they need some website work. they never came up in any of my searches

back in the hunt again. they make nice shrouds with plenty of options in the design and look to be quality units. but they said they could not make one in 5/8"-24 unless they made 1000 units. seems they are all CNC and its just not cost effective to make one.

sounds like bullshit to me. how hard would it be to duplicate the code and have one set of instructions for 1/2"-28 and one for 5/8"-24 ?? its not changing anything except the hole in the end and the thread pitch. why would it require 1000 units?

either way, anyone know any other options?

thanks, ill keep you in mind. after thinking it over, i cant see any reason i cant just buy the thing and have the hole bored and retapped or re-threaded for the 5/8"-24 i need. i may see if thats easier/cheaper than having one made. they are only $60 so it shouldnt be that much more to make the hole bigger

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Temp9</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You mean the shoulder thing that goes up?
</div></div>

Well played sir, well played.

anyone else have any ideas? besides me getting one of these and tapping it bigger that is?

Things like this are a reason I've always wanted to own a lathe, if I only I had somehwere to put the damn thing.

You might try talking to a local machine shop to see if one could be made from scratch, I don't think it would be as inexpensive as the Kinetitech one linked above but you'd have exactly what you want. They might be uneducated on firearms though and think you're trying to build an illegal silencer.

Buying the Kinetitech one and having it rethreaded to 5/8-24 looks like the best option to me.

barrel-shroud.jpg

tell me about it. i need a place to put one and that i dont have. i need to secure some property.