• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Does anyone make a good accurate ar upper in .223?

RonA

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 10, 2011
Browns Valley CA
I'd like to get one that isn't embarrassing to demo suppressors with. I've tried several name brand uppers and there hasn't been a keeper yet. I decided to send the last one to a friend at Accurate Ordnance and he didn't have any luck getting it to shoot either. Is under an inch at 100 yards consistantly too much to ask?(powder burns on the paper don't count)

RonA
Ops Inc

Re: Does anyone make a good accurate ar upper in .223?

RonA,

Talk to John Holliger at White Oak Precision or Frank White at Compass Lake Engineering. They're two of the top competion AR builders, and either can build an upper that will deliver half inch groups without any problems.

The two names mentioned above do good work. I'd also talk with Glen Seekins of Seekins Precision, he's building some badass 3 gun ARs now! (can't wait to get mine)

For Ops Inc I'd actually recommend either High Caliber Sales or Centurion Arms and one of their MK12 uppers.

My Noveske SS 20" shoots .5 or better with ammo it likes.

I get about an inch or just over with a 1/7 14.5" LMT at 100m, but that is using 75gr. T1 handloads. ACOG, barrel isn't FF and it has a bunch of shit hanging off it. With the M855, it was all over the place, like a 4" group at best (and this lot shot fairly okay in a different rifle). The SDN6 suppressor does seem to open up the groups a bit no matter what I'm shooting; how bad depends on a few factors it seems with how tight the suppressor locks up being one of them.

For a good out of the box quality 5.56mm upper, the LaRue Stealth upper looks like a good one and I think it is about $1k. I think they have an accuracy guarantee too.

My best rifle is in 6.5G, I built it using a Satern barrel and it gets .33" groups. Haven't shot it with the suppressor yet, need a new scope. I suspect the Satern 5.56mm barrels would perform just as well. Mine came matched with the bolt. They don't build uppers and as far as I know nobody "makes" one, but you could easily have one assembled. Ordering a custom barrel direct from them can take from a long time to never, depending. Midway carries them I think.

Krieger and another come to mind as being good barrel makers for AR's, and when it comes to AR's, it really is the barrel that makes for most of the accuracy.

As far as the Satern 5.56mm barrels, yeah, they do. I've used several, and every one has been a shooter.

Every one off the several stainless steel BCM barrels I've had shot much better than an inch with 55 VMAXs, 69gr SMKs and Barnes MBs, 75gr Hornady and 77gr Sierras. I think the 16" 410 SS is about the perfect barrel made for a 16" AR-15.

Mark, Jason and David @ AO reprofiled an 18" BCM for me that shoots lights out. They could do a nice custom upper for you.

-Sean

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kevin Thomas</div><div class="ubbcode-body">RonA,

Talk to John Holliger at White Oak Precision or Frank White at Compass Lake Engineering. They're two of the top competion AR builders, and either can build an upper that will deliver half inch groups without any problems. </div></div>

+1

I will check with some of these places. I'd like one that is accurate with the lighter bullets (50-55gr ).

So is it the upper or is it the barrel?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kevin Thomas</div><div class="ubbcode-body">RonA,

Talk to John Holliger at White Oak Precision or Frank White at Compass Lake Engineering. They're two of the top competion AR builders, and either can build an upper that will deliver half inch groups without any problems. </div></div>
+1 for this I had Frank at Compass Lake put togerther a Douglas XX 10 tw 223 in a 18 SPR countour upper. It shoots much better then I can. With a 16x scope and mag feed reloads of 50 vmas on 27.5 gr of BLC2 it is a solid .5 MOA gun out to 300. After that my abilities come into effect.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RonA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I will check with some of these places. I'd like one that is accurate with the lighter bullets (50-55gr ). </div></div>

Sounds like you have a lot of factors at play here...

Another question would be, what barrel length are you looking for? Barrel length, twist rate, and bullet weight have much to do with consistency/accuracy, regardless of who makes them.

If you are demo-ing suppressors, do you plan to keep them mounted on the rifle, or do you intend to use one rifle and switch the cans around?

Check out SAOD's AR-15 Target or Varmint Billet Upper .223 24". They are fairly new to the market but utilize Lothar Walther barrels. I won one at a PPC match and after a little research found claims that it will hold a .25 inch MOA. Sorry I cannot give you any personal experience as I have not yet mated it with a lower.

I can get .6" groups at 100yards with my Fulton Armory Phantom Carbine upper on an Eagle Arms lower with magpul PRS and a Burris fullfield scope with ARMS 22M rings. 16" 1:9 free floated barrel with hand loads.

+1 for Noveske. Accuracy plus absolute reliability. You can also get a switchblock for suppressor use.

My Noveske N4 Afghan model is my most accurate AR. It shoots 5 shot 100 yard groups consistently well under 1 moa.

JP Enterprises....I have owned many of them. Never a one that would not shoot 1/2" five shot groups at 100 yards or better...with FACTORY ammo.

I like my Rock Rivers. I stretch my 24" varmint out to 800 and it holds its own as long as the wind is dead and I do my part. It likes the Hornady 75 HPBT.

+1 for JP. They made a fine 6.5 Grendel upper for me. They have been in the 3 gun business for a long time.

What ammo are you trying to use?

Some of your competitors realized the need to load precision ammo in house for demos as buying the match grade stuff already loaded was too spendy. Other companies just buy the good stuff.

You aren't going to get results with any upper until you get the ammo sorted. I'm sure you also know some powders are less gassy than others. Some powders will also meter quieter than others. By tweaking handloads you can create a combo that shoots lights out and makes your product perform better.

If you are using just issue ammo, you might as well use steel plates for targets.

Once the ammo is sorted you would be fine with most any upper that has a match grade tube. Lilja makes a good .223 barrel, and would be my suggestion.

Another thing.

It helps to cater your demo guns to your target market. A lot of times, the demo gun is just as much for sale as the suppressor. Noveske was always a good choice because most departments and internet savy guys would then go buy the exact combo they tested. And Noveske could deliver with little wait, and their tubes are consistent in accuracy capability. There was no worries of the customer getting a bad barrel or having a bad experience.

I mentioned my preference for lilja tubes on .223 uppers. They seem to shoot better than the Noveske's but they do not carry the same 'cool'. And we both know some clients are really just buying 'cool' or a name. The ones who were impressed by the lilja usually had no experience with them up until that point. By turning them on to lilja, we scored cool points of our own.

Hope this helps.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BachelorJack</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Another thing.

It helps to cater your demo guns to your target market. A lot of times, the demo gun is just as much for sale as the suppressor. Noveske was always a good choice because most departments and internet savy guys would then go buy the exact combo they tested. And Noveske could deliver with little wait, and their tubes are consistent in accuracy capability. There was no worries of the customer getting a bad barrel or having a bad experience.

I mentioned my preference for lilja tubes on .223 uppers. They seem to shoot better than the Noveske's but they do not carry the same 'cool'. And we both know some clients are really just buying 'cool' or a name. The ones who were impressed by the lilja usually had no experience with them up until that point. By turning them on to lilja, we scored cool points of our own.

Hope this helps. </div></div>

I agree, but most of the departments I go to shoot pretty standard stuff and are looking for just a suppressor. I always supply ammo when I demo and tell them what ammo I am shooting. Been a reloader for 30 years and know it's merits, but I have to be honest with them. Will try ordering a better quality barrel and see how it works out, and will also buy on a reamer and do a couple myself on blanks bought directly from the barrel maker just to be sure. I've seen the difference a proper barrel and machine work makes on bolt gun so I don't doubt it will be the same on an AR.

1+ for John at White Oak. Top notch and very helpful.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BgBmBoo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">JP Enterprises....I have owned many of them. Never a one that would not shoot 1/2" five shot groups at 100 yards or better...with FACTORY ammo. </div></div>

I know this to be true. Speak with Mel, he'll hook you up with the right upper.

My JP/V-Tac.

DSC_0317.jpg

Rock River varmint w/ 20" bull barrel....very accurate
2012-01-25_17-18-22_108.jpg

Scott at specialized dynamics. I just got a 18" SPR from him and it shoots lights out. The first 2 shots were in one hole. So I dialed off of that and went straight to 500yds were it was stacking them on top of each other.

Ron,

I have to agree with the Rock River recommendation. A friend of mine has a Rock River 20" Varmit BB upper mated to a bushy lower. he uses an accuwedge and a chip McCormick match trigger. I can shoot .22LR cases at 100 yards with his rifle. It absolutely loves Black Hills remanufactured .223 75 Gr BTHP. It shoots Fiochi V Match 50gr satisfactory, about the size of a nickle. For the price I do not know of anything out there that will shoot as well.

Lots of great uppers out there, but the Rock River Predatot Pursuit is very accurate with the use of match ammo, and it wont break the bank getting one.

I decided to back up and have the nice folks at Accurate Ordnance build me a .223 bolt gun first to see how it shoots. I sent them a New Rem. Mod. 7 and I'll see if it shoots the ammo I have well. If not I'll do some reloading and see how it goes. If it can be made to shoot, I'll try another AR build.

Rock River EOP w/ the 24", hitting golf balls at 400yrds

What supressor are you wanting to demo? Is it a thread mount or a brake mount? I am building a kreiger barreled upper. I could drop it off to Mark to let him demo if you would like. I should be finished with it in a few weeks.

Mike

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RonA</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I'd like to get one that isn't embarrassing to demo suppressors with. I've tried several name brand uppers and there hasn't been a keeper yet. I decided to send the last one to a friend at Accurate Ordnance and he didn't have any luck getting it to shoot either. Is under an inch at 100 yards consistantly too much to ask?(powder burns on the paper don't count)

RonA
Ops Inc</div></div>

Quick question what ammo are you using. Match ammo and ball are totally different. With a good gun you can expect from .5 to 1 moa with good match bullets (reloads or factory match) and 1.5 to 3 moa with crap ball ammo.
Pat

I've been shooting Black Hills with 50gr Vmax and 52gr match HP. I did try some ammo I reloaded for my sons bolt gun (50gr Nos BT and AA2230) and it seemed to shoot about the same. I normally shoot ground squirrels with .223 so heavy bullets aren't the norm. One of the shops offered a 12 twist upper and that would probably be a step in the right direction.

N O V E S K E or bust!

There are a ton of mfg. out there that produce good barrels. An upper is really subjective because ONE company doesn't make an amazing version of everything. (Debatable). Go with a good barrel, WOA, Lilja, Noveske, Wilson Combat, hell even some DPMS barrel will get the job done.