• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Does CA really matter?

Basically all I'm saying is when manufacturers try to make their products better (like reducing CA), even if it's a small improvement, we all benefit in one way or another. To sit back and go, "I don't like it. It doesn't make or break my shot. It's splitting hairs. Who cares?" is lazy thinking and hinders progress.
I'm not sure if it's "lazy thinking" as you mention FourT, I think it's more a matter of misunderstanding what CA truly is and how it affects performance within an optic. I also agree with you that the manufacturers making better products because the consumer identifies areas of improvement are better for everyone, I do not understand how some do not understand this.

For the audience in general, I can use a Tasco and hit a target, I can use a Zeiss Conquest and hit a target, I can use a DMR and hit a target, I can use a T5Xi and hit a target, I can use a Schmidt & Bender and hit a target, I can use a Kahles K624i and hit a target, and the list goes on (these are just some of the scopes I've personally used), all of these scopes exhibit some level of CA (as all optics do) but some handle this aberration better than others. I've come to expect a certain level of CA within lower priced scopes but expect that higher end scopes or rather more expensive scopes should control this aberration better than their cheaper counter parts. I think what most shooters equate to IQ (Image Quality) is resolution, but there are a lot of factors that go into IQ beyond simple resolution, the way the optic handles color, contrast and yes, CA all contribute to making the image "pop" when you look through the scope. I am also of the belief that not all eyes are created equal and what makes an image pop to you may not be the same as for someone else. By and large all high end glass exhibits enough of these qualities that most user experiences generate the "wow" factor vs. lesser scopes. Also, for those who say "I have never seen CA" the simple fact is that yes, you have seen CA in all your scopes, you have just not noticed it or been in a situation where it was obvious to you. I live in Colorado and I shoot in winter time, when it snows CA becomes pretty obvious when I'm out shooting between the contrast of the white snow and dark soil or tree bark, shadows, etc. If all you're ever shooting is gray painted steel amidst a backdrop of brown dirt or grass I can understand that CA may have not been very predominant and virtually unnoticeable for you; however, for those of us who do shoot in these environments it is an annoyance to see a heavy band of purple across the entire FOV while looking out across the valley with a big patch of snow. No, I'm not watching birds with my scope, but I do want a scope that is going to give me superb IQ in all aspects when I pay $$$$ for that scope. I have absolutely no qualms with anyone saying "hey, I looked at a Tangent Theta and a Kahles and I thought the Kahles was just as good or better", this is why I always try to stress - do not rely on everybody elses reviews, you have to see things with your own eyes, unfortunately, not all of us are blessed to live near high end shops that carry some of these brands, so we rely on reviews to give us a good indication of how a scope will perform, and if enough shooters are verifying that the scope is good to go then you can probably feel pretty confident the scope will work out, and if you purchase the scope and have a horrible experience, put up a post on the forum and ask the community because maybe you didn't setup the scope correctly or maybe you have a faulty scope that needs to be sent back for repair, better to have that addressed than to keep quiet and wonder why you can never get a clear sight picture with your $$$$ scope.

Why don't you tell the Jews, the Poles or the numerous other people groups who suffered at the hands of the Nazi's to "get over it", that is in essence what you are saying. Maybe you're a someone who has no real idea of who the Nazi's were or maybe you're one who denies the Holocaust, either way, the Nazi's were a brutal and barbaric regime that committed horrific atrocities against the human race with the murder of over 6 million innocent people, this is why I take offense to your terminology, have some respect for the people who suffered through their regime and don't use the word flippantly to identify someone who does not agree with you.

I apologize to the OP for getting off topic here.

You are a bigger moron than I first thought possible. You are also a snowflake. Melt a little bit more or simply do what I first suggested and get over it.

You are a bigger moron than I first thought possible. You are also a snowflake. Melt a little bit more or simply do what I first suggested and get over it.
Your lack of understanding and hubris are appalling, I won't suggest anything for you because you're too arrogant to see past your own point of view, but I see no reason to continue down this road and derail this thread so will use the handy little "Ignore" feature.

Reactions: Mordamer
There are lots of things that the scope Nazis on this forum complain about that don't matter when it comes to actually hitting a target:
1. Mushy turrets
2. CA
3. 2/10 hashes on a reticle

These things get mentioned in every other post it seems like. I don't want any of those things in an expensive scope, but they are discussed endlessly on this forum.

In if a scope tracks true I can hit targets with it period. CA means nothing to me.

#Preachit
1522800370280.png

Why don't you tell the Jews, the Poles or the numerous other people groups who suffered at the hands of the Nazi's to "get over it", that is in essence what you are saying. Maybe you're a someone who has no real idea of who the Nazi's were or maybe you're one who denies the Holocaust, either way, the Nazi's were a brutal and barbaric regime that committed horrific atrocities against the human race with the murder of over 6 million innocent people, this is why I take offense to your terminology, have some respect for the people who suffered through their regime and don't use the word flippantly to identify someone who does not agree with you.

I apologize to the OP for getting off topic here.

Virtue Signaling mixed with a little aspergers is an entertaining combination.

No one likes a History Nazi, knock it off.

Chromatic aberration results in loss of resolution and for me anyway, it's a big issue. I use microscopes a lot and pay a lot extra for objectives that correct for it.

Virtue Signaling mixed with a little aspergers is an entertaining combination.

No one likes a History Nazi, knock it off.

Hmmm...someone espousing the virtues of utility over cost, and then calling out someone else for virtue signaling. Irony.

Irony.jpg

Reactions: Bender and 5RWill
Suprised you can draw anything other than dicks on the inside of a shitter stall. Bravo.

This thread is finally going in the right direction. I find this line of conversation more relevant to precision shooting than a discussion of CA. Haha.

Which would seem to indicate that if you are the opposite (you see greater variation of color than most) than CA would be a huge annoyance...

Reactions: 5RWill
Which would seem to indicate that if you are the opposite (you see greater variation of color than most) than CA would be a huge annoyance...

If you so not see color, you still see CA, but in a different way. Depending on which CA type it is, and what type of colorblindedness you have, it can manifest itself differently. Now, whether it is important it is a separate questions, but it is most assuredly still there.

ILya

Wow. I entered this thread to see what I could learn on the issue. I had experienced bad CA on rimfire targets that affected fine accuracy and required a rethink and I had used the blue fuzz in conjunction with mirage to assess the wind speed at long range in the past.

Instead I find the thread where SH has truly jumped the shark.

Scopes like Sports cars and High end trucks are available in all flavors. Many who drive Porsche can not make the car perform to its abilities, Many F350s never pull a load. If you feel the scope is not acceptable, trade it in on a model you believe is. Part of many shooters learning curve is finding the equipment that not only satisfies the technical requirements, but the mental requirements as well. If you know the scope and believe it will work, your psyche will be more relaxed, hence a better probability of a successful engagement. I would hazard to say that many of us have spent more than we initially budgeted to gain the level of confidence in any piece of equipment we purchased. Good luck and keep hunting..

Like @wjm308 @5RWill and lots of others that posted here, I shoot a lot in the winter (snow) and high contrast environments (lots of lights/darks in shooting range). I've found that practically speaking, the Purple-Yellow Bellied Finch syndrome (a.k.a. chromatic aberration, color fringing, acid tripping, etc) is mainly annoying but creates a REAL issue when resolving/milling unknown targets at distance (700+ yards size dependent). Basically small targets at distance can be a pain and cause you to strain trying to stay focused on target.

This is actually the very reason I got rid of a 4-16 PST gen 1 after only a week. If you need to spot bullet holes/impacts at distance on white steel, it can be difficult to spot smaller impacts as the CA can wash out the impact location. Add mirage and your eyes will hurt after a few hours behind the scope.

Lots of other guys on here have said it very well: CA matters but each individual will have a personal tolerance level where it becomes unacceptable. In my experience, the easiest way to start hating CA in any scope is to use/oogle any scope with less than what you currently have. Ask me how I know...lol. if you use a scope that seems perfect until you get to spend time behind an even *better* scope for your eye, you will likely end up wanting to upgrade/swap out because you have a new benchmark for quality optics.

Nightforce: keeping white doves white, pissing off wives and forcing extra anniversary gifts, one scope at a time.

The people who don't care about CA, I wonder how y'all do on this test: https://www.xrite.com/hue-test

Took me all of two minutes and I got a perfect score (which is 0).

Hell i know i have a color deficiency and CA bothers me to a great degree. I scored 2. I got a deal on the 624i that i couldn't resist after using one last weekend for a mini-match. I'm interested to see the results, even if it has CA as long as it's minor like the Leupold i'll be keeping it. I downright love the SKMR3. Plan is to pick up an AMG this summer also so that comparison should be interesting.

I’m colorblind AF. Lol. I probably actually don’t shoot enough to be bothered by CA, I don’t shoot in the winter and I don’t hunt. But I don’t care about it enough to have it very high on my priority of scopes. To be honest I only own a SWFA 10 X and a Weaver 5-30x56 LOW made scope. I set the Weaver at 10 power and it was hard to tell a difference between it and the SWFA.
A31EE07D-1CD4-433F-B4B2-1DA867411C40.png

Bender - that is looking like red/green colour blinded which (as we all known) is most common in males. How do you cope with traffic lights?

Last edited:
Reactions: Bender
Bender - that is losing like red/green colour blinded which (as we all known) is most common in males. How do you cope with traffic lights?
The green lights look white to me. I see the yellow and red as they are.

It’s not really a struggle, it’s been this way since birth. So I’m normal, it’s all you fuggers that can’t see things right! Lol.