• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Does LabRadar have any competition?

SNOW JW

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Mar 4, 2018
Is there anything on the market that competes with lab radar that has a similar product or do they have patents on there technology?

I like my Labradar……. But who in the HELL signed off on their app??? It is sooooooo horrible!

I can not believe such a great product has such a horrible app. Had the app well over a year and it's still not even optimized for the iPhone X and up models. Like wat???

You can't even name a string of shots. Flat out horrid.

I like my Labradar……. But who in the HELL signed off on their app??? It is sooooooo horrible!

I can not believe such a great product has such a horrible app. Had the app well over a year and it's still not even optimized for the iPhone X and up models. Like wat???

Agreed the app blows.. don’t even bother with it..

By competition, I'm assuming you mean a relatively handheld, portable doppler radar device? If that's what you mean, then I don't believe so (I'm sure there are similar devices, or attempts to make a device in the past, that I'm unaware of that someone on here will mention). If you mean a reliable, affordable chronograph, then your other option would be the MagnetoSpeed V3.

Took my labradar to the indoor 100 yard range the other day, couldn't really get it to record any shot velocities. It was really frustrating. I suspect being indoors overwhelmed it

Set your phone to not sleep when using the app for an extended period. It does not behave correctly after the phone wakes back up, and generally won't reconnect until the app is restarted.

The app works and functions just fine but I agree it’s kinda junky looking. For what we spend on the labradar itself and what it can do you’d think the app would just “look” better

Reactions: Alabusa
Interesting to know

Found it, on their website it said

"It may not work if you are shooting in a tunnel or tube as the radar will be reflecting off of those surfaces."

At first I gut a few really low readings, like 1700fps not 2600+, kept messing with the aim, over and over.

At the end I got a couple readings that seemed normal. It was really frustrating. I'll have to just go shoot in the weather

I found that my app works way better now that i have the new iphone. Dont know if there is anything to that but just seems to work now. Before it totally sucked.

Happy shooting

Set your phone to not sleep when using the app for an extended period. It does not behave correctly after the phone wakes back up, and generally won't reconnect until the app is restarted.
MMmmmmm good info here!

I found that my app works way better now that i have the new iphone. Dont know if there is anything to that but just seems to work now. Before it totally sucked.

Happy shooting
Which iphone? Is your new phone the one that has the indention at the top that protrudes into the screen? If yes is your app formatted correctly for that?

While I'm not directly involved in creating it, I work for a company that has apps that connect and transfer data similarly. There is a lot of development and testing to make sure it works well for all of phones and operating systems. It is extremely expensive and time intensive. The budget just might not be there to really perfect the app.

MMmmmmm good info here!

Which iphone? Is your new phone the one that has the indention at the top that protrudes into the screen? If yes is your app formatted correctly for that?
I have iPhone X. The app does not show like it should and I cannot access some of the functions that are hidden on the top of the screen.

Took my labradar to the indoor 100 yard range the other day, couldn't really get it to record any shot velocities. It was really frustrating. I suspect being indoors overwhelmed it

Try the low power setting
TX Power(US, Canada, Australia/New Zealand models only)

Select the LabRadar transmitting power. (Standard or Low).

While Standard power offers a longer range measurement range, the Low power mode can be useful and perform better on shorter or indoor shooting ranges and on ranges where object create signal reflections. Due to foreign government restrictions, the European Union model is restricted to the Low power setting.

Reactions: goneballistic

Agreed the app sucks, and constantly drops during operations...
Labradar need to rework quickly.

Sadly no, if they did we'd probably have a better product through competition because their app sucks and it took years for them just to do a bad job of adding bluetooth. It's the same reason we went for years with RF binos without bluetooth integration from the big boys (Leica etc.) until Sig did it for $1000 now everyone is releasing them to stay competitive.

That said making a good app that's compatible with different platforms that's reliable is a very expensive task, they'd probably never sell enough units to justify the price, that or they'd be $1200 instead of $600.

If I remember correctly, Frank tried the Two Box chrono several years ago when it was first released and the review wasn't overly positive. I seem to recall the summary was basically "it reads the velocity accurately when it's set up properly, but setting it up properly takes far more effort than it should." Stick with the MagnetoSpeed or the Labradar