• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Does Valdada make a good scope base? Options?

RCSavager

Private
Minuteman
Dec 18, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
Being as I'm new here and surrounded by experience I'd like to ask the collective their thoughts on my base choice. I tried to find something not too over the top price-wise, heavy duty steel construction, quality cnc work and just an all-around good platform to shoot with. Aluminum is half the price but I'm to understand that some money in this hobby is well spent on certain things. I'm also to understand that includes a steel scope base and probably a nice skim of JB over a release agent for consistent accuracy and scope longevity.

If I'm missing something here please feel free to chime in and drop your two cents. This is going on a Savage 10 FCP LE 308 @ 26".

My current choice is as follows:
Valdada IOR 1-Piece Heavy Duty Picatinny-Style 20 MOA Elevated Scope Base

Re: Does Valdada make a good scope base? Options?

I had read a few reviews stating that the holes on some of them were out of line with the receiver's holes and that the rear two screws that came with it were too long and wouldn't fully seat. That was in fact on another base on Midway but one fellas stated that when he contacted EGW they blamed his gun. After he bought something else he found the replacement to be a perfect fit.

Those few reports that I read and their supposed response to that particular buyer turned me away from EGW even after all the good I've read on the hide during my lurking days. Additionally, that mount is aluminum and I was to understand that steel was the preferred option.

Listening and learning as I go man.

My experience with EGW has been flawless. I have four of their 20 MOA bases and they all have fit perfectly.

I have used EGW and Valdada both and both have great customer service which is what we all want IF something goes wrong. Plus there are any number of other good brands manufactured by members and sponsors right here on the hide.

I'm happy to learn something here, get what's best for my need, pay whatever reasonable sum that may cost and support any locals to the Hide along the way. I'm sure there are some rules about soliciting but I'd welcome a PM if that was more appropriate. Basically I'd just like to verify that I should get a steel base versus an aluminum?

Hearing good words from you guys about EGW makes me feel a bit better though so thank you. Basically I *WANT* a steel one as that's what I'm to understand is the better alloy for a base. That *WANT* is based on a perceived *NEED*. If that is not the case by all means slap me around a bit and swift-kick my n00bie ass in the right direction. I appreciate the votes of confidence in EGW and by all means keep them coming. I did a full forum search and found nothing on scope bases. I'm sure many guys are lurking in the shadows afraid to ask. I figured I'd play the sacrificial lamb in these regards as I need to get this purchase made.

Thanks again guys.

I think the alloy vs steel debate may have been done if you use the search engine here on the hide you can find it. I use both alloy and steel and have never had any problem. You just need to decide weight factors and corrosion resistance. Searching old threads has helped me a lot collecting information.

Like I said I looked around first but didnt't find anything related. I'll go at it again on the materials instead. With that said weight is not an issue for me. I'm not dragging this beast any farther than from the car to the table. No running around drills, little soldier games, or anything much more than me sitting on my ass pulling the trigger. I might be persuaded into laying down and shooting prone but nothing involving carrying it on a run/jog that's for certain. Additionally, I'm not going to be outside arguing with mother nature shooting in the rain either. I just want ONE base the first time. Not 3 bases later, wasted money, wasted time, just to find what I should've bought the first time.

Thanks guys, keep em rolling. Lot of folks listening to answers and getting a few of their own too I'm sure.
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Savager</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Being as I'm new here and surrounded by experience I'd like to ask the collective their thoughts on my base choice. I tried to find something not too over the top price-wise, heavy duty steel construction, quality cnc work and just an all-around good platform to shoot with. Aluminum is half the price but I'm to understand that some money in this hobby is well spent on certain things. I'm also to understand that includes a steel scope base and probably a nice skim of JB over a release agent for consistent accuracy and scope longevity.

If I'm missing something here please feel free to chime in and drop your two

cents. This is going on a Savage 10 FCP LE 308 @ 26".

My current choice is as follows:
Valdada IOR 1-Piece Heavy Duty Picatinny-Style 20 MOA Elevated Scope Base
</div></div>

i have the ior in 35moa and i love it i also have a ken Farrell 20moa

if you are looking for a scope talk to scott at liberty optics he will take care of you.

i just recently bought an IOR 6-24X56 moaX FFP from scott.

Take a look at Murphy Precision and Ken Farrell for your Savage 10FCP also. I have a steel Farrell 30MOA on my 110FCP HS and am pleased with it.