• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Dogs in the AO

We had an oilfield worker move into our area and he had two nice dogs. Younger black mutt and an older golden lab. That young pup managed to get out often and the lab followed it everywhere. They traveled miles. Came into our yard multiples times, tried to get our cats. Apparently they got into a fight with another neighbors dog. Those two disappeared after that day, and I promise you the owner was never involved with them disappearing.

If the dogs run off and end up in your AO, no one will know nor care what happens. Owner should of taken better care of them, and that includes if they come back smelling like pepper spray. If you kill them in/near their owners yard, don't be surprised if the hunter becomes the hunted.

Last edited:
Reactions: 308pirate
As a rancher and nighttime hog hunter well out into the country here in SE Oklahoma, I get the opportunity for interactions on all sides of the fence. I'll make a few general observations:

I have a ranch dog (American Bulldog). It is her job to be out with the kids when they're playing, and her job to investigate shit that doesn't seem right around the house. I'm well far enough away from anybody else that my dog will not be pestering something that isn't on my place. Shoot my dog because you're on or next to my land, and you might as well have shot one of my kids.

Dogs that wander onto other people's places stand a good chance of being shot. Everyone around here knows that.
As a dog lover, I'll give a single, lost dog the benefit of the doubt as long as it stays away from me when I catch one crossing my place...or it's a harmless breed with a collar and tag looking for help. On average I'll return about one dog per year to its grateful owner, and I feel good when I do that.

Dogs that harass cattle, or are in a pack on my place are killed on sight. I was actually out looking for a couple that had chased a deer into the creek ~100 yards below the house one day as I was chatting with a fellow Hide member.

Dogs out on public WMA are dealt with however the guy who catches them wants. I'd stress to be careful, it might no go too well if you blast some dude's hog dog, only to round the next corner and run into the owner/owners.

As a hog hunter, I will absolutely introduce myself to the dogs on a place during a daylight visit. That doesn't mean that they aren't going to come and bust you possibly while you're out there, but when they get close enough the interaction is generally pleasant. Your hunt on that property is done, but nothing is harmed. More importantly, I try to find access were I can get in without alarming the dogs, or I'll send the property owners a text with a time for my arrival and they'll put their dogs in. One of the properties that I hunt grows pot, so they have four dogs routinely running around. In other words; there is a way to move around at night with dogs in your AO if you really want to.

I'm not sure how I'd feel about some random guy sneaking around the boundaries of my ranch kitted out. We'd definitely have a conversation. Too damn much property theft to let something like that go...so keep that in the back of your head too. Maybe try going deep into public property before you start looking as suspicious as possible.

I've got three tractors with front end loaders, a hoe, and a dozer... it will take me 10 minutes to cover up what may have been a poor judgment call. The places you can be wandering around might be equipped the same.

Dogs out on public WMA are dealt with however the guy who catches them wants. I'd stress to be careful, it might no go too well if you blast some dude's hog dog, only to round the next corner and run into the owner/owners.
Interesting. If it's really a WMA and running dogs is legal there that still doesn't give the hunters a pass if their dogs are being aggressive and dangerous towards a third party who also has the right to be there. For the record, I don't consider barking and running around as aggressive. I do consider the line crossed when dogs begin to surround and close, particularly when the tone of the bark changes. I'm pretty sure you know what I'm talking about. Then it's game on for them and for whoever else wants to play. There's a reason I no longer carry revolvers.

As a hog hunter, I will absolutely introduce myself to the dogs on a place during a daylight visit. That doesn't mean that they aren't going to come and bust you possibly while you're out there, but when they get close enough the interaction is generally pleasant. Your hunt on that property is done, but nothing is harmed. More importantly, I try to find access were I can get in without alarming the dogs, or I'll send the property owners a text with a time for my arrival and they'll put their dogs in. One of the properties that I hunt grows pot, so they have four dogs routinely running around. In other words; there is a way to move around at night with dogs in your AO if you really want to.
Not familiar with that style of hunting so very possibly I'm misunderstanding. But it reads to me like you trespass on purpose while following your dogs. Am I off base?

Here in Oklahoma you have to have a formal relationship with a property owner to hunt at night. Both you and the landowner have to notify the state of your arrangement and also when you will be hunting. You can only hunt at night for hogs. That’s what Diggler is talking about.

Here in Oklahoma you have to have a formal relationship with a property owner to hunt at night. Both you and the landowner have to notify the state of your arrangement and also when you will be hunting. You can only hunt at night for hogs. That’s what Diggler is talking about.
Thank you for the explanation

Being able to hunt pigs at night only is fucking stupid.

I swear to God, hunting laws in this country make almost zero fucking sense.

Thank you for the explanation

Being able to hunt pigs at night only is fucking stupid.

I swear to God, hunting laws in this country make almost zero fucking sense.
I think he means you can't hunt anything but hogs at night. No deer etc, but I'm not sure.

Interesting. If it's really a WMA and running dogs is legal there that still doesn't give the hunters a pass if their dogs are being aggressive and dangerous towards a third party who also has the right to be there. For the record, I don't consider barking and running around as aggressive. I do consider the line crossed when dogs begin to surround and close, particularly when the tone of the bark changes. I'm pretty sure you know what I'm talking about. Then it's game on for them and for whoever else wants to play. There's a reason I no longer carry revolvers.

Not familiar with that style of hunting so very possibly I'm misunderstanding. But it reads to me like you trespass on purpose while following your dogs. Am I off base?

Good question man, and probably my fault for not being clear.

I am surrounded by 300,000 acres of two WMAs (I'm lucky). Guys frequently run hog dogs up there. On more than one occasion my older M-I-L has had a run-in with hog dogs while she is out for her weekly nature walk. One time for sure the dogs were too aggressive towards her, but were also muzzled. She carries a little pistol for protection because of this. I wasn't there, but I'll take her word at their aggressive as it was enough for a 65 year old lady to start carrying a gun. I do know that one of my "neighbors" frequently runs his dogs up there. As far as legality...I'm 45 minutes from the county sheriff's office, and we have one ODWC warden that patrols all if this area. This place is like stepping back in time 75 years. Nobody gives a damn. I'm pretty sure that you can run dogs at certain times of the year, probably between other seasons. I'd have to look that up though as that doesn't apply to anything I do or care about.

As far as my other style of hunting I do not use dogs at all. I strictly use thermal at night. I am required by law to have written landowner permission on me for hunting private property. I actually have a slip of paper with pre-generated permission statement that I just have landowners sign. I always meet with them during the day the first time and check out the property lines, potentially hazardous areas (could fall over a drop off), and get accountability for what kind of animals they have. This is when I introduce myself to their dogs if necessary. After that, I just show up at their place whenever at night...sometimes I'll text them, it depends on what they want. Having a ranch and cattle of my own, I get a lot more freedom than some out if state weekend warrior would. Plus I always use happy landowners as references when I come to a new place. Probably 8 out if the 10 places I hunt right now were actually referrals.

Hope that I did a bit better job clarifying this time.

Yes, in Oklahoma the only animals you can hunt at night are hogs, but you can hunt them during the daytime as well.

Racoons and Coyotes are on the list of things you can hunt at night. There might be others under law defined as nuisance but without additional special provisions, the blanket rule limits you to a 22 caliber or #6 shot shotgun.

Hogs and Coyotes have other laws that allowed higher caliber.

"§29-4-135. Permits to control nuisance or damage by wildlife. A. The Department of Wildlife Conservation is authorized to issue permits to landowners, lessees, or their designated agents and to any entity of state, county, or local government to control nuisance or damage by any species of wildlife including, but not limited to beaver, coyote, deer, bobcat, raccoon, and crow under rules promulgated by the Oklahoma Wildlife Conservation Commission. The permits may be issued without limitation by statewide season regulations, bag limits or methods of taking. A permitted landowner, lessee or a designated agent of the landowner or lessee may, with a valid permit issued pursuant to this section, control the wildlife specified in this subsection and feral swine at night to protect marketable agricultural crops, livestock, or processed feed, seed or other materials used in the production of an agricultural commodity."

See also: https://www.oklahomahuntclub.com/oklahoma-hunt-club-info/oklahoma-predator-hunting/ and https://www.wildlifedepartment.com/...options-landowners-dealing-coyote-depredation

On the plus side, FAA regulations shut down hunting from aircraft by requiring a license from a state agency.

To satisfy it, Oklahoma passed a bill specially for hogs, only the pilot requires the license in order to pass the FAA requirements.

The way its written and intended, everyone else can remain anonymous and use machine guns if they so desired.

I do miss living in the Plains and the fuck you attitude most locals have toward bullshit laws.

Reactions: diggler1833
Our land has simple rules.
Introduce yourself before hunting and get permission. Otherwise, you are a fucken trespasser, and poacher.
By law, you need a property letter, but some idiots just go wherever.
Leave gates how you found them, the entry fee is a carton of beer, Great Northern Original, or Five Seeds Cider.
Make sure you know what the farm dog looks like, and no shooting at night, near the farmhouse, or utility buildings.
Ferals only. Kangaroos and foxes.All donkeys, Alpacas, goats, sheep, and cattle are off limits.
I have kicked 3 people off the property for being dickheads. For some reason they think rules don't apply to them.
One even threatened to come back and "sort it out"🤣🤣🤣🤣
When you are allowed onto a property, it is a matter of trust, don't abuse it.
The police here, will take your firearms and licence, for trespassing and poaching.
We have a salt flat that is 1700 metres across, perfect for a bit of long range plinking.
It's a lot of fun, getting a few people over to have a blat.
Resized_20201005_133045.jpeg

Reactions: RGStory