• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Doing something completely different, WTF to do?

evilsvt

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Aug 4, 2005
college station, TX
I currently have a 20" GAP Crusader wearing a PMII and OPS inc 3rd and Beanland is building up a 24" Surgeon 300WM in an AIAX for me but I need a new rifle for next year... A hunting rifle... wtf do I do?

I'm going to head to MT next winter to hunt with my boss's brother and hopefully get an elk. However, he's a friggen human goat and doesn't mind a 10 mile trek in. I need a light weight gun with enough ass to take a larger animal at distance given the opportunity. I'm thinking of sticking with 300WM since i'll be loading for my surgeon anyhow.

Problem is that I want the long range accuracy without the weight. Right now I'm leaning towards the following

-Big Horn sporter action
-Manners MCS-T
-Badger M4 bottom metal
-Proof research carbon wrapped barrel in 300WM
-S&B 4-16 precision hunter or maybe a PMII
-Surefire MB

Re: Doing something completely different, WTF to do?

Be a average,normal hunter and buy a tikka lite or remmy mountain rifle,some nice glass on it and smoke an elk
laugh.gif

You don't need to spend a butt load of money on every rifle you buy!

I can't help it. I've been in the firearms industry for almost 10 years now and I've become extremely jaded and I can't leave shit alone.

I think I built something you are thinking of. I call it my Mobile Sniper Concept Rifle.

I had a .300 Win Mag built with the following:
1. XLR Stock
2. 26" Proof Research/Rock Creek Carbon Fiber barrel in M24 contour
3. Savage Long Action
4. Murphy Precision titanium bases and titanium rings
5. VAIS muzzle brake

The thing weighs in at 9lbs minus the scope.

XLR now has a carbon fiber stock and you can get one of those titanium Remington like actions for ultimate low weight.

For such a light magnum rifle, I was banging the smallest steel plates at 600 yards this last weekend.