• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report Dope at the 500 range (300WM) vs. Strelok+ dopes

Beiruty

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 20, 2014
Ok, I am bit puzzled. Let us start, shall we?

1) Rifle: Steyr SSG 04, 300 WM, factory stock.
a) load: Hornady 208gr A-Max over 70gr of Alliant 4000 MR. Estimated MV is 2850 ft/s
b) Weather: 80F @ 29.12" AP, elevation 530ft.
c) Wind: SSE at 8-9mph gusting to 12mph, I used 160 degrees for wind direction
Ranges:
100yrd, impact is 1" high, corrected to -1MOA, dead on. Zero was at 100yrd indoor, Temp could be at 72F-74F, I assume indoor air pressure is 30"
300yrd, impact is 1" low, corrected MV calls for 2849 ft/s
500yrd, impact on silhouette steel targets are either scraping the bottom, or hitting in first 1"-2" from bottom. My dope was 8.25MOA
Now correcting for MV with up 10" or 2MOA, MV is now 2628 ft/s

1) Does temp and AP affect the Zero by 1 MOA?
2) Is my MV 2849 ft/s or 2628 ft/s, that is 221 ft/sec drop.

Steel target looks like this one:
Gun Parts Warehouse | Silhouette, 3/8 AR500 Steel Plate *Free Shipping is Included* - Flip Targets, Gongs and Silhouette's - Range Gear

I have a video that I can upload later on.

Maybe my solution is to get Magneto-chrono or the elusive Labradar.

Last edited:
I use the shooter software and its deadnuts with my 300wm out to 1k so far with several different bullets. Ive had some .308 bullets that were off a tad but I just use the software as a guide for figuring out dope. when I mean off by a tad like .5 moa.

Last edited:
No way it's 2628 fps. I was loading the 208 out of a 26" 5r 700 with 72.4 grains of po4000 mr and was damn near 3000 fps. It's probably Istrelok

Strelok as a program shouldn't be off, it's the parameters you punched in that must be off? Somehow you need to get a handle on your MV, or you're just going to have to guess and shoot your dopes.

And how are you coming up with an estimated MV, by a manual? If so, ask yourself just what part of your rifle resembles their test rifle, I thought Steyr scout had a short barrel, test rifle was maybe 26'', that could be way over 200 fps.

Last edited:
From a 300 yard zero in showing my 300 WM loads using the 208 Amax to be 5.125 MOA to 500 yards my Mv is 2864 fps.

Strelok as a program shouldn't be off, it's the parameters you punched in that must be off? Somehow you need to get a handle on your MV, or you're just going to have to guess and shoot your dopes.

And how are you coming up with an estimated MV, by a manual? If so, ask yourself just what part of your rifle resembles their test rifle, I thought Steyr scout had a short barrel, test rifle was maybe 26'', that could be way over 200 fps.

Yes, I used hornady manual for MV estimation. My rifle has 23.x" long barrel . Best way to resolve this issue is to get a decent chrono.

Last edited:
Yes, I used hornady manual for MV estimation. My rifle has 23.x" long. Best way to resolved this issue is to get a decent chrono.

You kinda contradict yourself with: corrected mv at 300, then at 500. You very well may in the 2650 range for mv. One thing you need to realize is that the farther you get from 3000 fps, you have to drop your estimated bc because the bullet didn't start out fast enough. If faster than 3000 fps, you can add.
Make sense?

I do agree with buying a chrono, anymore I wouldn't even attempt load development without one.

Last edited:
It could be a lot of things but not the ballistics program or the changes in temps and so forth. Sorry, wish I can be of more help. Last time I saw somebody getting weird results like this ended up being copper fouling. Lots of variables here.

I haven't chrono'ed any of my loads in several years....I only use the thing anymore for checking my bow with different weight arrows.
I like to get a good solid 100 yard zero, than shoot it out as far as I can/want to, I have access to a range with the capability to reach 2 miles....I generally do a verification at around 1300 or 1400 yards. When I get a long range zero I see how many MOA up I am from my 100 yard zero than build a chart based on that data. I have shot a lot of the 208s at about 2875fps. I ran your numbers through Shooter, if you have a dead nuts 100 yard zero your are looking at +3.7moa at 300 and +9.0moa at 500, again based on a 100 yard zero.