• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Douglas or Shilen.... Whats the general opinion???

Coyote3

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 20, 2008
Wyoming T.S.
Just wanted to see general opinion on which one has performed better over the years. Want at least a MOA or better barrel. HAha. Be nice.

Re: Douglas or Shilen.... Whats the general opinion???

I've got a Douglas on my 30-06. It's not reputed to be the smoothest out there, but it's been a real accurate barrel. I moly most everything so copper fouling has been a non-issue.

It has shot .5 moa or better with 110 VMax, 130 TTSX, 155 Scenar, 168 Nosler, 190 Matchking, 208 AMax, 210 Berger, and 240 Matchking.

Cant say much about the Shilen, but all the Douglas bbls I own/owned are damn good shooters. Unlike MM, I dont do moly, and still fouling has never been a problem.

Nobodys ever tried the ulra rifled douglas barrels?

I cant say I have honestly ever shot either of them but if there good enough for Tony Boyer and Speedy Gonzales I know I'm going to be shooting the Shilens

Uh Chad, I believe that is Potato or Potatoe.
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PFCSkoug</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I cant say I have honestly ever shot either of them but if there good enough for Tony Boyer and Speedy Gonzales I know I'm going to be shooting the Shilens </div></div>

Don't expect much life out it. My Shilen (308) crapped out after 2000 rounds. Throat moved forward by 0.125". They are great among the benchrest crowd because they change their barrels out every few months anyway.

I've built dozens of rifles with both barrels and they both are capable of making an accurate rifle but I perfer shilen over douglas if I had to choose because the insides look alot better through a bore scope. In a tactical rig I would go with the match shilen instead of the select because you will never see the accuracy difference in a tactical rifle. If you are going to pay for a select shilen or ultra dougy then you are in the price range of a kreiger or rock creek and I would take one of those over shilen or douglas.

James

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 30378</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For me, there is only one custom barrel - Krieger. </div></div>
You should expand your horizons!

Had an over the course gun (service rifle) in 223 with a CM douglas 1-8. It died at the 600 yard line with 2500 rds thru it. I never bought another. The shilen barrel I have is still strong at 3500+. Go figure, huh?
I think that you can get duds with them all.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Strickland</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Uh Chad, I believe that is Potato or Potatoe.
laugh.gif
</div></div>
Is that how it's done!!?? I couldn't figure out how to spell it!
grin.gif

So many fine choices! Both of those you mention (as well as the others recommended) will do very well.

What action?
What caliber?
How utilized?
At what ranges?

Wallet, Willingness and Wait

Am going to use it for a 300 Win Mag build. Have got one on the way. Decided to try a Shilen for the giggles. Have tried the Douglas and liked it but, well there more than one flavor in the rainbow so to speak. Now all I need is a left hand magnum LA bolt and I will be set.

I had one Douglas and I wasn't real impressed with it. It was .7 moa shooter. It may have been the one bad barrel out of a thousand but that was their one shot with me. I've got two Krieger's and one Rock and all of them have been shooters. If price is what is steering you toward these two barrel makers I would save a little more money, its not that big of difference.

David