• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

dpms sass v pof 308

lu24

Private
Minuteman
Nov 27, 2009
Aberdeen,MD.
newb here to the world of semi auto, been reading alot of info and in july will be purchasing my first one. Question is out of the two mentioned wich one would be the best for a newb, cleaning, ease of operating, also read that some semi's have problems with feeding with certain mags.some people will say build your own, but honestly i wouldnt know were to begin.Will mainly be used for targets and if i can find a club then i will be interested in shoots. I know pof has the piston wich they say is easier to clean, but can someone that has owned one tell me all the advantages that a piston has over the sass. it also seems to me that the pof is built using more stout parts, if my wording seems ignorant(not knowing what the hell i'm talking about)please excuse it.Just looking for some unbiased opinions.Thanks

Re: dpms sass v pof 308

"if i can find a club then i will be interested in shoots."

You might look at the New Holland Rifle and Pistol Club, http://www.nhrpc.org/
They should be very close to you over the border in relatively free Pa. I believe they shoot to 600 yds?

nobody have opionions, thanks for the info rundown, have a range down were i hunt that has a range out to 300, also has a outside pistol range. Delmarva sport and clays is the name, if anyone in md would like to know, its right by viena off of 50east, very nice range.Can the ar experts please give a newb some direction

I'm in the same boat as you lu24, i'll be keeping a close eye on this one
smile.gif
hope we can finagle some answers outta these boys!

If you try running a search here on the forum, or if you prefer, on AR15.com, there is a wealth of information on both platforms, including distinctions comparing/contrasting the direct impingement versus piston (short and long-stroke...the POF is a short-stroke) gas operating systems.

In short, neither is arguably "better" than the other (okay...the POF is better IMHO)...just different systems. The POF rifles are sub-MOA capable, mine have been 110% reliable (suppressed and without the can...with a wide variety of ammo), and I generally recommend them for anyone looking for a semi-auto 308 platform particularly if you plan to run as suppressor as the piston system keeps the rifle significantly cleaner. The quality of the components used on the POF builds is extremely high, including the Rock 5R barrels and otherwise.

The DPMS SASS rifles can also achieve excellent accuracy. With good mags, they are also very reliable. DPMS recently swicthed to a proprietary receiver rail height that is screwing with aftermarket component fitment in terms of railed handguards in case you plan to upgrade at any point. Now, with the newer receivers, the aftermarket railed handguards like the DD and others will NOT have the same heights, so you lose out on the "continuous rail" or ability to mount accressories like scope mounts across the receiver and onto the handguards. Aftermarket mfgs are none too happy with this decision and so far, are not planning any future changes to their product lines to accommodate DPMS's changes (I can't blame them given the money spent on R&D, product development, etc. thus far only to have DPMS make this change mid-stream).

Those are just a few issues to consider. I am sure your research will yield a lot of additional information.

Good luck!!

Ord, thanks for your knowledge, i am continuosly researching as much as i can,to learn as much as i can, now i have a good idea of what i'm looking for-thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lu24</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i searched, does a piston, have a assist like the gas rifles do </div></div>

The POF 308 rifles do, or at least the one I saw looked like it did. The DPMS 308 uppers don't have a bolt assist, they have what looks like one but there are no serrations on the bolt assembly.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lu24</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i searched, does a piston, have a assist like the gas rifles do </div></div>

The POF P-308 rifles all have forward assists. Look at POF's website for more information and tons of pics of these rifles:

http://www.pof-usa.com/p308/p308.htm

Just went through the same thing. I was looking for a accurate gas gun that i could bench out to 600yds or so and, with practice, allow me to achieve consistent MOA.
I was lucky to be able to compare the 2 side by side at one of our good Portland dealers...along with an LMT MRP at another dealer. The SASS was $2k even, the 20" NP3'd POF and the LMT (pre increase) both at $2400. The one that felt subjectively the best/most solid was the LMT. Just looked and felt fantastic. Trigger was ok. I might have gone that route, but it had gone literally the next day.
Between the POF and the SASS, well...i ended up with the POF (although a different one)
Accuracy would likely be the same in my trembling hands, so that was a wash, TITS trigger Vs JP, again nothing in it for me, both felt crisp and ungritty. I liked that the Harris came with the SASS, but I'm not a fan of the PRS or the sniper style ergo grip on the SASS. That's obviously a personal POV. I just prefer a collapsable stock and a regular Ergo or MIAD.

I plan on using a suppressor whenever possible, so the POF adjustable gas piston made sense, as did the CROS coated internals as i'm a minimalist when it comes to cleaning.
I prefer the solid top rail on the POF, not sure if I'll take advantage of it, but it's good to have, the ambi bolt release seems genuinely useful.
It would be nice if the POF came with BUIS at that price, I have spare Magpuls and Troys kicking around, but it's something to factor in costwise...
I also decided that i really wanted to go with a more versatile 16"ish length and slightly lighter weight in case i want to use it for 3 gun or practical rifle or hunting. The SASS felt like it would be comparitively cumbersome off the bench.
Your criterea may be different from mine, but either way you'll end up with a superb rifle.

No POF in hand,But I do have a DPMS 308 SASS and its .6 MOA capable weapon at 581 yards at my test range,Ringing steel at 1k Is very doable with the 18" DPMS SASS..It has become my go to weapon ..I do use a 7.62SD and have no issue at all CAN on or off,POI shift is less than 1" vertical and groups get tighter!
I do have a Magpull CTR stock and I put a different grip on it.. The DPMS SASS is so overbuilt I don't see any other AR SASS 308 being near this beefy,The hand guard is twice as thick as anything I see out there.This thing is a TANK.the barrel is Fatter than any I have seen,The barrel looks like a truck axle!

One thing about a sass 308 You don't shoot it,You Drive it..Maybe being a 308 SASS driver makes no sense ,But persons with sub MOA at range capable 308 Sass weapons may agree ?.

Heavy bitch it is,But accuracy is there .. I am happy and it will be the last gun I part with.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BCP</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lu24</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i searched, does a piston, have a assist like the gas rifles do </div></div>

The POF 308 rifles do, or at least the one I saw looked like it did. The DPMS 308 uppers don't have a bolt assist, they have what looks like one but there are no serrations on the bolt assembly.

</div></div>
That's not entirely correct there are no serrations as you say,but there is forward assist function,It pushes at back of the large section on the carrier toward the end of bolt lock up. You don't need FA except at or neer the last portion of bolt lock up,If FA was needed before the bolt gets toward or neer lock up,You have problems that FA is not going to fix in the field.

i thought the serrations were there to scrape muck/debris off the bolt as it cycled....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: asiparks</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i thought the serrations were there to scrape muck/debris off the bolt as it cycled.... </div></div>

There for FA function..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There for FA function.. </div></div>

I'm new here...
whistle.gif

I have a DPMS SASS with a GG&G scout mount to elevate my Leupold Mk4 6.5-20x50 lrt. This thing suprised me. I am using my hand loads (175 smk)and getting .5 MOA groups. 5 shot groups that I can cover with a dime. The heavy barrel is very stiff, free-floated and the other guy was right, it is a tank....but not bad on recoil and not bad on brass. I personally like the PRS but everyone is different. I use the Magpul Pmag and have not had any issues and have a Magpul MIAD grip on it. If you check around you can find an SASS for around $1700-$2000. I have never used a POF but I am telling you this thing REALLY surprised me. I was expecting 1 MOA groups and I am getting groups like my bolt guns. I dont know if I "just got a good one" or if all of them are like this but I LOVE it....It is like this with and without my CAN....my $0.02....

Yeah I know it is a forward assist, kind of. It just wasn't the type of forward assist I expected. When I first took the bolt out & saw it didn't have serrations on it I was pissed, thought they sent me the wrong one.

As for accuracy it's MOA or better but difficult to shoot, and seems to like heavy bullets.

ASM1 she sure is a beauty,BCP what do you mean difficult to shoot, heavy, cumbersome,problems with cycling, please give me more info, cause i have pretty much made up my mind on going with the pof, also like to thank all who passed on their knowledge to me

man they are milking the prices on these piston drive ar's. TWICE tha price , definitely not twice the parts,process of mfg. its bull hockey , i love the reapers but they are rediculous

I have a DPMS, I went in the store knowing I was going to buy the POF. Couldn't justify the price diff, now I kick myself for being cheap.

JMHO.