• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Drama with landlord. Who is responsible for cost?

Nepa1990

Private
Minuteman
Mar 4, 2021
USA
Back in July, my girlfriend and I discovered a water leak flowing out into the street from the tree lawn area. We had rain for a few days straight so it wasn’t something easily noticed.

Our landlord came out and rigged it somehow, and told us “it’s fixed, but I can’t gaurantee it from happening again.” The leak is on his side of the property. We received a bill for $600, and after pulling teeth, he eventually paid it after we received a credit of $200 from the water company (the water is in our names).

A couple weeks ago, I come home from work the night of March 25th, at around 8:00pm and notice water pissing down the street from the same leak location. We immediately notified our landlord of this via text, and he responds “Geeze, I’m in New Jersey.” Three hours later, he texts us and says “The water co. is on their way to check it out.”

So I go outside to speak with the service tech, and he informs me he was instructed by our landlord to shut out water off due to an emergency. I asked him flat out, “Is this an emergency?” He said “No, but good luck finding someone to come and dig this up, it’s going to take days”.

After speaking with the service tech, our landlord texts us (not knowing we spoke to the tech) and said “Unfortunately, the water company had no choice but to shut your water off, I’m hoping to get someone there tomorrow to see what they can do”. I texted him back, letting him know that he lied, the water company didn’t have to do anything, that he instructed them too. I let him know that he cannot shut our access to running water off, as it makes our rental uninhabitable. He responded saying “Well, if you authorized to keep your water on YOU are responsible for the outstanding bill.” I said to him if this was fixed correctly the first time around, we wouldn’t even be dealing with this again.

The next morning comes and I texted him (I want everything in writing). I said “Is anyone coming to repair the leaking pipe” he goes “No idea”. So what’s your fucking plan then, Stan? You wanted us without water for fucking days, while you drug your feet enjoying your vacation in Jersey? So later that afternoon he comes by and rigs it again to stop the leak temporarily and sends me a text saying we ruined his vacation and that he “finally after two years he was able to get away and it was cut short dealing with this”. Fuck you, buddy.

A week ago he finally rounded up a crew of dopes to dig the yard up and replace the plumbing. By the looks of them I wouldn’t hire them to cut my grass. But, whatever. Now we just got our bill and after our monthly usage deducted, the balance comes out to $302.00 which he is standing firm on not paying it, saying we’re responsible because we kept the water on. Fuck me right? How ignorant of me to have to shower and flush my shit?

How do you guys see this panning out in the event it goes before a magistrate? Who do you feel is at fault?

Get an attorney. But that may cost over what he says you owe. Read your rental agreement and see if this type of damage is listed as to who is responsible. I would think the landlord would be.

In my area, the homeowner is responsible for water lines between the meter and house. The water company is responsible from the meter to the main. Good luck with the landlord.

Get an attorney. But that may cost over what he says you owe. Read your rental agreement and see if this type of damage is listed as to who is responsible. I would think the landlord would be.

In my area, the homeowner is responsible for water lines between the meter and house. The water company is responsible from the meter to the main. Good luck with the landlord.
Our landlord is responsible from the meter to the house, but he is saying because I didn’t allow the water company to shut our water off, it’s now our responsibility.

Reactions: Slash0311
I believe your in the right but its not worth the fight in my opinion.
Move
We’re looking. See the closing in our house is next month, our landlord is selling it. The buyer wants to keep us on as tenants, so our current landlord is just being a cocksucker because his hands are washed of this place. Once the sale goes through, I’m not sure if I can go after him for the cost of the water leak.

Reactions: Milf Dots
We’re looking. See the closing in our house is next month, our landlord is selling it. The buyer wants to keep us on as tenants, so our current landlord is just being a cocksucker because his hands are washed of this place. Once the sale goes through, I’m not sure if I can go after him for the cost of the water leak.
Just a quick question if I may.
Do you know how to turn off the water main leading from the meter to a house?

I agree. First, move out. Next, take them to small claims court. But a lot depends on the landlord/tenant laws of your state and what is specified in the lease. As has been stated above, it may not be worth the trouble. Unless you just want to stick it to the landlord for being a jacka$$.

I can understand that. :)

If its a single-dwelling unit there is usually a control by a drain cover somewhere in the front of the property. A device from home depot for about $30 is at most all thats needed to turn on or off. But too late now if physical problem is fixed.

What would have been a smart thing to do is once this happened the second time, knowing the water bill issue the first time.
Manually shut off the water at night / when you leave the house to minimize the leaking so there was less to fight over.

We’re looking. See the closing in our his house is next month, our landlord is selling it. The buyer wants to keep us on as tenants, so our current landlord is just being a cocksucker because his hands are washed of this place. Once the sale goes through, I’m not sure if I can go after him for the cost of the water leak.

FIFY

Only because you brought it here to discuss:
-why not fix it yourself since you knew and were there?
-why not demonstrate value to the person allowing you to live in HIS house?
-why not put a little sweat equity into it you know you have to pay the water bill?

I wouldn’t rent to you

I wouldn’t be a renter like you.

I’ve done so many little upgrades and fixes to improve MY own life, sounds like you are either at your “end of the line” w this guy and should move or you just don’t get it. Things are about to get more difficult. You are a renter and it’s not going to get cheaper.

Next land LORD you have, you should prob work WITH them and become valuable to them. I’m sure he would have kicked you back the $15 in supplies. Maybe even kicked in some labor.

All I see you doing now is fighting w the person who can legally have you removed now because of a sale.

If you don't even know how to turn your own water on and off, you are practically worthless as a human being. How the fuck did your dad ever let you out of the house in the first place, without knowing that?
Whether you rent or own, you simply have to know how to turn on power and water, and gas supplies as simple life-saving measures. Turning off the gas supply is paramount in cases of fire, earthquake or tornado damage (Or a vehicle crashing into your house). Turning off the main water supply and the electrical supply is also so very basic it astounds that you don't know how.
Apparently even if you pay the 300+/- bill, you can't even chalk it up to a learning experience, since at this point you didn't learn anything.
Purposely remaining ignorant, after a SLO (Significant Learning Opportunity), is simply stupidity.

If you don't even know how to turn your own water on and off, you are practically worthless as a human being. How the fuck did your dad ever let you out of the house in the first place, without knowing that?
Whether you rent or own, you simply have to know how to turn on power and water, and gas supplies as simple life-saving measures. Turning off the gas supply is paramount in cases of fire, earthquake or tornado damage (Or a vehicle crashing into your house). Turning off the main water supply and the electrical supply is also so very basic it astounds that you don't know how.
Apparently even if you pay the 300+/- bill, you can't even chalk it up to a learning experience, since at this point you didn't learn anything.
Purposely remaining ignorant, after a SLO (Significant Learning Opportunity), is simply stupidity.
Being this is snipers hide that means he owns guns and is probably at your local gun range attempting to use them also

he doesn't have to be your current landlord to sue him for what happened during your lease with him. but yeah over $300 it ain't worth it.

Sounds like the leak was in the main. Not many people have access to their curb-stop. Mine is buried under 6" of gravel, and after you pop the lid there's a valve 8' down in a 4" pipe. City has homemade wrenches for this, but I sure as hell don't.

I can cut my water off at the meter, but that's inside the house. Not going to stop a leak from the main feeder.

Next time turn the water off, walk over and shit in his yard Leave the TP in the mailbox,. If he asks why you did it,, ask him why he didnt fix the water leak. Use his hose for a shower. He'll fix it.

Reactions: jrassy
Sounds like the leak was in the main. Not many people have access to their curb-stop. Mine is buried under 6" of gravel, and after you pop the lid there's a valve 8' down in a 4" pipe. City has homemade wrenches for this, but I sure as hell don't.

I can cut my water off at the meter, but that's inside the house. Not going to stop a leak from the main feeder.

Interesting, here in residential areas pretty much everyone has easy access to the water shutoff valve from the city pipe to their house.

Interesting, here in residential areas pretty much everyone has easy access to the water shutoff valve from the city pipe to their house.

May be location. In the north we bury water lines minimum 6-8' for freeze protection, so the valve is down there. Sometimes they will have a surface handle/nut with an extension down a casing to the valve, but generally only in commercial or deeper applications. They like to use penta-sockets like a utility xfmr if they have a nut at the surface.

It was fun as hell working a job in ND with some TN boys the first time they experienced real cold. They couldn't figure out why the ground was so hard in December even their 400 series ex could only scrape with the teeth until they got 8' down.

Well you know almost enough about it to make one or have one made.

it always amazes me what people will fight about. Option 1: fix it and move on. Option 2 : Move. Pick battles worth winning, life is too short. just my opinion...

This is going to be way more expensive than the 50$ or whatever in water this was if you keep pushing this especially now that its been permanently fixed.

Interesting one, I have never seen a water leak you could rig and stop. Was it flex seal? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
E7793B08-0A92-4398-A735-B9B818A7A10F.jpeg

You have spoken to and have contact info of said buyer? Tell him whats going on and that if the landlord doesn't eat the bill you are moving.

It's his fault, dude is a lazy ass landlord. Making a big deal out of something he could've fixed in an afternoon, or hired someone and paid em a couple hundred to do it. Honestly you could've done it too, it's not rocket science, but then he sounds like the type of guy who would stiff you on the repair costs lol.

Just curious, if the leak was in the line before your meter (in the house), why did the water company charge you for increased consumption? Maybe I'm missing something...

Just curious, if the leak was in the line before your meter (in the house), why did the water company charge you for increased consumption? Maybe I'm missing something…
The leak is in the supply pipe right after our meter.