• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Dream Hog Hunting AR

Painless300

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 2, 2013
Rome, GA
I need some help. I am wanting to buy / build a new AR for exclusively hunting hogs, I have no real budget requirements but don’t want to spend unwisely.
What would your dream hog gun be?
Longest shot 300-400 yds.
Would like to be on the lighter side, I know AR10’s are not light.
I reload so I’m open on whatever round is best.
Any ideas on thermals are also welcome.
What’s your ideas?

As far as thermal goes last year I bought a Pulsar XP 50 nice unit not cheap. For hog/coyotes and other stuff. Just a few of the few features: one shot zero (Maybe two or 3) records sound and video. Picture in picture view if desired. Up to 12x mag. White hot or black hot depending on weather/situation and much much more to list here. Cost was 5grand they were supposed to come out with LRF model (laser range finder) wasn't available yet when I got mine cost 6grand available now. I think you can buy a pretty decent range finder for a lot less than a grand. The unit has a range of 1800 meters giving conditions and I can see mice probably taking a shit at closer range. Tons of information available on YouTube and web.

I have an SBR 8” 300 Blk out and I was not impressed with the results on whitetail suppressed with the Barnes 110’s, lost one doe at 40 yds and another ran off and found the next day, no expansion. Maybe a longer barrel would produce better results.

As far as thermal goes last year I bought a Pulsar XP 50 nice unit not cheap. For hog/coyotes and other stuff. Just a few of the few features: one shot zero (Maybe two or 3) records sound and video. Picture in picture view if desired. Up to 12x mag. White hot or black hot depending on weather/situation and much much more to list here. Cost was 5grand they were supposed to come out with LRF model (laser range finder) wasn't available yet when I got mine cost 6grand available now. I think you can buy a pretty decent range finder for a lot less than a grand. The unit has a range of 1800 meters giving conditions and I can see mice probably taking a shit at closer range. Tons of information available on YouTube and web.
Thanks, I’ll check it out.

I've also had good luck with the 6.8 as well as 6.5 Grendel (18"), 7.62 x 39 (16"). All light and handy even with a suppressor. As with any, shot placement is key.

I have an SBR 8” 300 Blk out and I was not impressed with the results on whitetail suppressed with the Barnes 110’s, lost one doe at 40 yds and another ran off and found the next day, no expansion. Maybe a longer barrel would produce better results.

Shot a UP Michigan 10 Point with a 16" using the Barnes 120 at 90 yards this last season. While I was lucky to hit him 4 times, the first shot would have killed him. He jumped, then trotted hunched over 20 yards and stood there trembling and twitching obviously hurt bad, I'm confident he would have fallen over dead. Was last day of camp, so not taking any chances I put another one in him, then two more as he trotted another 30 back the way he came before falling over dead. All four hits were within 4 seconds and 5" of each other. Wish I would have looked for some bullets and taken wound pictures thinking back. I'll use the same bullets and gun if I feel like it again.
Going to give some suppressed sub sonic a try this coming season. Look into loading some Underwood max expansion.

Get a 6.8 SPC or 6.5 Grendel in a ~12.5” configuration, throw a suppressor on it, and a Reap 35mm. The weight is a non-issue and you get all the knock down power you need. I have also killed a truck load of pigs with a 5.56 10.5” with 55g projos.

You’ll be able to PID much further than you would ideally be shooting. The problem with your 300-400 yard range requirement is, everyone thinks they want to long range thermal hunt because they long range day hunt, but it’s more challenging at night in total darkness. Without a LRF, you’re pissing in the wind. Once you get away from the idea of LR night hunting with thermal, you will realize you can easily creep in on hogs and be significantly more affective at stacking them high.

Do yourself a favor and get a tripod if you haven’t already.

Go back and read the post above mine by SkyScrapin. Spot on.

For what you described I would stay away from 300blk. Don't get me wrong, I like that round and I run multiple of them, but not at that range, especially on hogs. For under 100 yards I used to go solely with the 300blk, now I seem to always grab a 458 socom (possibly my favorite caliber ever). For longer shots I go back and forth between 6.5 grendel and 6.8 spc, without a real preference for either - they both get the job done just as good as the other. I used to go with either a 308 or 6.5 creedmoor, but there's no real benefit there over 6.5G or 6.8.

For nighttime hog hunting, a tripod and hog saddle are a must. I tried to get by without them for years and that was a huge mistake only realized after I started using them.

In AR15:
Subsonic 458 socom
Supersonic 6.5 grendel
In AR10:
Subsonic: waste
Supersonic: 6 creedmoor or 338 federal

Ok here’s my .02 worth....
AR15Performance (ARP) 12.5” 6.8spc sbr suppressed (of course), Geissele SSA, JP SCS, Hdy 120SST. Mostly shoot at 50-150 yds but has gotten job done at 300yds/hogs and 350yds/coyotes. A compact Ti can such as 6” Crux Nemisis30 keeps it light and nimble enough for maneuvering in/out the truck or UTV - not Hollywood quiet but close enough to hearing safe, least for me, & I can easily hear my hits.

Currently running a 4 yr old Zeus 640/30/3x 75mm which has served me well, and for my son a 1 yr old Pulsar XQ50 which is fine, but next purchase will be a Trijicon MK3 or Reap/IR. Leaning towards the Reap but not sure about that joystick control vs. the MK3 knobs, esp since I’m lefty. Pulsar seems to be best value for now with lots of neat features, but I really like the build quality and performance of theTrijicon, even with its additional cost.

I’ve used and/or hunted with folks using 5.56, 300bo, 6.5g, 6.5cm, .308. While all excel in certain areas, the 6.8 is efficient in shorter barrels & provides me with best balance of stopping power, range & hunting ammo selection (factory - not currently reloading) for nighttime spot/stalk hunts in the AR15 platform. The .308 & 6.5cm are absolute hammers, probably best option for stand hunts but I’d hate to lug one 500 yds across a muddy bottom field to shoot a couple hogs like I did last night.

Just my opinions - like grandad said everybody got one!

Edit: agree 100% with amcardon in regards to tripod/grip (I use a Reaper grip). Used a Trigger Stick for years as I didn’t want the weight of a full tripod grip but once I got one it was, like thermal, a game changer for me.

Last edited:
If you want to take shots on game at 300-400 yards, the 300 BLK would be a hard pass for me. I prefer a 6.5 Grendel in the AR platform and it or the 6.8 would be a good option over the blk out.

Reactions: goatboy
This seems to be a recent and old internet discussion about hunting hogs. and its always full of so much misinformation. For some reason, people think you need huge calibers or something special to kill hogs, when in reality, hogs are not hard to kill. They die easier than whitetail deer.

5.56/223 kills hogs
308 kills hogs
222 kills hogs
250-3000 kills hogs
7mm-08 kills hogs
243 kills hogs
32-40 kills hogs
etc.

Ive seen/guided/killed hogs myself with 556 and i believe it is excellent to do so. I think so many people overthink it. What can you use to make a shot and hit a hog sized target at distance? Because that is what will kill hogs. You want DRT? Hit them in the eye/ear/upper neck, and make sure you have 50+ grains and/or (or both) 2000+ fps when you do. Which is easy.

You want to just have them die? hit them damn near anywhere. they'll go off and die.

you can shoot them with grendel and SPC and all that. No problem, they will definitely work. but you dont NEED that, other cheaper and more readily available rounds will work fine. i have found that 5.56/223 is a hog devastator.

For the first shot yes. Anything will do.
But when the rest of the sounder starts running 20mph in every direction and now your just going for meat, you need some horsepower. If you only intend to get 1 hog to clean and put it in the freezer then 5.56 will work perfect right around the ear/head. 90% of my hog experience is for eradication. So if I can kill 50 per night, I would still be asked why I didnt get 100 lol.

I have a 300 blk for my thermal gun, its great. At night you can walk right up to them so no need for long range ability. Not sure Ive ever shot a pig over 50 yards with the thermal. I sure wouldn't try to over 100 yards away with a 1.5-6x thermal. It just runs out of gas and resolution too quick.

That said, if you are going to try for 3-400 then 6.5 grendel all the way. A bit more mass than a 223 for more damage and much flatter than a 300 bo.

Dont get suckered into thinking that subsonic hunting is great, its not, its only a disadvantage in every way.

A 223 with some good bonded or copper (lehigh) bullets might not be bad, much more velocity and punch, I tried it with normal varmint and ballistic tips bullets though and a large pig will just shrug them off. Thats what pushed me to the 300, bigger hole and more damage in my typical up close conditions.

I have a 300 blk for my thermal gun, its great. At night you can walk right up to them so no need for long range ability. Not sure Ive ever shot a pig over 50 yards with the thermal. I sure wouldn't try to over 100 yards away with a 1.5-6x thermal. It just runs out of gas and resolution too quick.

That said, if you are going to try for 3-400 then 6.5 grendel all the way. A bit more mass than a 223 for more damage and much flatter than a 300 bo.

Dont get suckered into thinking that subsonic hunting is great, its not, its only a disadvantage in every way.

A 223 with some good bonded or copper (lehigh) bullets might not be bad, much more velocity and punch, I tried it with normal varmint and ballistic tips bullets though and a large pig will just shrug them off. Thats what pushed me to the 300, bigger hole and more damage in my typical up close conditions.
Spife, what length bbl are you running? What projectile?

Spife, what length bbl are you running? What projectile?

I use to have a 16" bolt that I ran the thermal on initially. I started by thinking I would be sly and hunting subsonic "so I could shoot multiple pigs before they knew what was up." The first shot they scamper regardless so the one benefit I was hoping for doesnt pan out in the real world. With 220 pro hunters on 12.1 of cfeblk it gave 1050 fps, shot well on paper but was sort of tough to use at night through thermal with that much arc to its trajectory. Had too many high or low hits on the animals and even some that I know were good thanks to the dvr that still resulted in the pig strolling away.
Here is one showing how the pigs will walk straight up to you in the dark, took a sub to the head point blank and took off. Luckily it circled around and was the final pig you see go down.

With 150 gamekings it was pretty great. It was in FC brass on 19.4gr cfeblk and got them moving at 1800 fps. It has much more autority and actually anchors pigs. This shows, again,how close they will walk up to you at night so long as you dont make any noise.
(for some reason its only linking and not embedding the second instalink)

I now have an AR with a 10.5" barrel. Im shooting a 125 pro hunter now over 19.5 gr of cfeblk which is putting them out around 1750 I think, I havent fully vetted it just yet as I got a quick load for hunting and then just havent gotten back to it to fully fill in its velocity etc in the calculator to see its longer range effectiveness, I probably never will, for what I use it for at or under 50 yards Ill never need to know. Ive only got 1 pig with it thus far but it seems to be working alright.

Last edited:
Oh good. From the title, I thought an ideal pig was looking for an AR...?

Great info guys. I have the RRS Anvil so I’m good on the tripod. I also already have an AR15 SBR lower and 6” Rugged Razor plus an TBAC ultra 7. Thinking of just building another upper with either the 12.5” Grendel or 6.8 and save the money and weight over building an AR10. Could use the savings for the Thermal. Good points on the longer shots at night.
I just initially thought about going with the AR10 for pure knock down power for second and third shots on multiple targets.
Have some desicions to make.

I use to have a 16" bolt that I ran the thermal on initially. I started by thinking I would be sly and hunting subsonic "so I could shoot multiple pigs before they knew what was up." The first shot they scamper regardless so the one benefit I was hoping for doesnt pan out in the real world. With 220 pro hunters on 12.1 of cfeblk it gave 1050 fps, shot well on paper but was sort of tough to use at night through thermal with that much arc to its trajectory. Had too many high or low hits on the animals and even some that I know were good thanks to the dvr that still resulted in the pig strolling away.
Here is one showing how the pigs will walk straight up to you in the dark, took a sub to the head point blank and took off. Luckily it circled around and was the final pig you see go down.

With 150 gamekings it was pretty great. It was in FC brass on 19.4gr cfeblk and got them moving at 1800 fps. It has much more autority and actually anchors pigs. This shows, again,how close they will walk up to you at night so long as you dont make any noise.
(for some reason its only linking and not embedding the second instalink)

I now have an AR with a 10.5" barrel. Im shooting a 125 pro hunter now over 19.5 gr of cfeblk which is putting them out around 1750 I think, I havent fully vetted it just yet as I got a quick load for hunting and then just havent gotten back to it to fully fill in its velocity etc in the calculator to see its longer range effectiveness, I probably never will, for what I use it for at or under 50 yards Ill never need to know. Ive only got 1 pig with it thus far but it seems to be working alright.

View attachment 7039227

Cool videos Spife! I really appreciate your input and info.

Reactions: 10ring1
Oh good. From the title, I thought an ideal pig was looking for an AR...?
Ha at least it got some attention!
Just really getting into hog hunting. Been using a bolt gun with a green light. They are tough animals, but I’ve managed to take a good many on a lease in S. GA.

16 inch 6.8 with good suppressor, trigger tech trigger, and a GOOD thermal...

Seen to many that ran off and I see again later with 223. Have seen a boarding shot on 3 occasions before we actually got him... If money wasn't an issue what I said above would be my set up

Last edited:
If you are willing to go for something out of the ordinary take a look at the 300 Hamr. 30 caliber round that shoots out of an AR-15, just takes a new barrel. It is a fairly new cartridge developed by Bill Wilson from Wilson Combat.

you should a deer with an 8 inch barrel from 40 yards.

no shit a longer barrel would produce better results. and be a tad more morally correct

no shit a longer barrel would produce better results. and be a tad more morally correct

Hence this is the reason why I was asking the barrel length question to start with. This was my first venture into short barrels, I had gone through a lot of posts on 300blktalk.com and thought it was the go to round for short barreled 300 blkout. Obviosly it was a very bad choice. I am an avid hunter and I do take morality very serious in taking any game. I took these deer off season in the summer on a deer management permit. I shot both of them minuets apart and then spent the rest of the day trying to retrieve both animals. I have never taken that gun hunting since.
But thank for trying to belittle me on this thread captain obvious. If you don't have any good constructive information like everyone else that has responded then please don't reply.

Reactions: Constructor
not just no. fuck no.

Just because it's the "go to" round for a short barreled 300 blk out IT'S A SHORT BARRELED RIFLE. period.

Any avid hunter can take a wild guess that the velocity you are going to lose from an 8 inch barrel is going to be a shit ton,
and not nearly enough to be reliable to kill a deer.

For any other geniuses out there, here's the constructive part.

The shorter the barrel the faster it loses velocity. And most likely it loses far more than you think more quickly than you think.
So do your research real damn good before trying to kill shit.

not just no. fuck no.

Just because it's the "go to" round for a short barreled 300 blk out IT'S A SHORT BARRELED RIFLE. period.

Any avid hunter can take a wild guess that the velocity you are going to lose from an 8 inch barrel is going to be a shit ton,
and not nearly enough to be reliable to kill a deer.

For any other geniuses out there, here's the constructive part.

The shorter the barrel the faster it loses velocity. And most likely it loses far more than you think more quickly than you think.
So do your research real damn good before trying to kill shit.

It was not a wild guess, I am getting 2105fps across my Magneto Speed and right at 1100 ftlbs of energy based on the Barnes 110 Tac Tx. Hunting in thick pines with no more than a 50 yard shot I though it would perform well, lesson learned.

I need some help. I am wanting to buy / build a new AR for exclusively hunting hogs, I have no real budget requirements but don’t want to spend unwisely.
What would your dream hog gun be?
Longest shot 300-400 yds.
Would like to be on the lighter side, I know AR10’s are not light.
I reload so I’m open on whatever round is best.
Any ideas on thermals are also welcome.
What’s your ideas?

Out to 150 yds try a 458 socom.
Farther than that 375 socom.
TROMIX is the way to go there.
D

Reactions: Spblademaker
I’ve built several SbRs and hog hunting rifles from 223, to 300blk, 6.8, 6.5 Grendel, 458 socom, 6.5 creed and 308.

My go to is a desert tech MDR. My backup is a 6.8 spc 12.5”. My backup beyond that is a 300 blk 8.3”.

My long range night rig is a curtis axiom with 18” 6.5 creedmoor

I never see hogs on my place during daylight, so my hunting is night hunting, and therefore 150 yards max. I run a DPMS Recon .308 AR10, with an ATN Xsight and larger IR. NOT a light weapon. Took a 300 lb boar at 125 yards a couple of years ago, and various others. I was using 168gr bullet.

agree. like to see how the POF revolution is doing on the piston gun and see how Di will do . I stopped using my Scar 17 while hog hunting since having 2 rotator cup surgeries and carry the 300 blackout now. been looking at getting Fix\Christensen mpr or POF in bigger caliber though

I dont have a POF but I'd like to. I built a 308 with a bunch of 2A arms parts. Didnt try to make it light weight but still ended at 7lbs 12oz. I used a full mass carrier, Luth MBA-1 stock, standard rifle buffer, and a 16" Rainier barrel. Swapping just those parts with lighter parts easily cuts 1.5lbs.

agree. like to see how the POF revolution is doing on the piston gun and see how Di will do . I stopped using my Scar 17 while hog hunting since having 2 rotator cup surgeries and carry the 300 blackout now. been looking at getting Fix\Christensen mpr or POF in bigger caliber though
I have the piston Revolution. POF nailed it with this design! I shoot the Federal 168 SMKs.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dogsniper
6.8 SBR suppressed and don't look back. Makes killing hogs easy.

Tried 300Blk out and it looked cool but didn't perform as I'd hoped.

Reactions: Constructor