• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Droid Phones Thread

Re: Droid Phones Thread

So went to verizon today, Droid X won't ship til end of month, Droid 2 is in stock prefer the X, is it worth the wait?

Just downloaded the beta version of doubleTwist. I dont have any apple products, but have wanted to try iTunes for the playlists and organization of my CD's. So I downloaded iTunes and uploaded a couple CDs. Then I opened up doubleTwist it syncs up perfectly with iTunes, the transfer a trial playlist to my EVO was simple and easy. I am very pleased with this program so far.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scottso</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So went to verizon today, Droid X won't ship til end of month, Droid 2 is in stock prefer the X, is it worth the wait?
</div></div>

They're two different animals. If you want the Droid X, wait for it. It's only a couple of weeks, and if you "settle" you may regret it for a year or two, depending on your contract. I like my Droid, and I like having the slide-out keyboard. If the all-touch interface is your thing, wait for your X. I handled an X yesterday and liked the hard navigation keys on it better than I like the soft keys on my Droid, but I wouldn't want to sacrifice that for my sliding keyboard. Get what you want, and if it means waiting for a week or two, it'll be worth it in the long run.

The rumor is that Verizon will begin updating Droid Incredibles to 2.2 today.
Nothing on mine thus far.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tucker301</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The rumor is that Verizon will begin updating Droid Incredibles to 2.2 today.
Nothing on mine thus far. </div></div>

Bragger. I think my Ally may be a while.

I'm not even sure that I'll upgrade to it right away.
If I lose root I lose a lot of good stuff, including free wi-fi tethering.
Until I'm sure that's worked out, I'll likely stay where I am.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tucker301</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm not even sure that I'll upgrade to it right away.
Until I'm sure that's worked out, I'll likely stay where I am. </div></div>

I'm waiting to tether until I get 2.2 on my Ally. Is this the right decision?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shankster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I'm waiting to tether until I get 2.2 on my Ally. Is this the right decision? </div></div>

If you want to pay $20/month for it instead of getting it free it is.
wink.gif

I think PDANet will work on your phone now, but you have use either a USB cord or bluetooth to connect to the PC.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tucker301</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm not even sure that I'll upgrade to it right away.
Until I'm sure that's worked out, I'll likely stay where I am. </div></div>

Ohh.. Ohhh... free wifi tethering is WRONG and you're going to burn in hell for it!
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tucker301</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shankster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I'm waiting to tether until I get 2.2 on my Ally. Is this the right decision? </div></div>

If you want to pay $20/month for it instead of getting it free it is.
wink.gif

I think PDANet will work on your phone now, but you have use either a USB cord or bluetooth to connect to the PC. </div></div>

So I shouldn't upgrade to 2.2 if I want no charge tethering?

I got 2.2 on my Droid yesterday. So far, it's nothing special and has been slightly irritating because my text messages and some emails aren't displaying pictures correctly. I'd say that if you're happy with 2.1 there's no reason at all to upgrade to 2.2, especially if you're waiting for the neutered version from Verizon. The big deal for me was Flash on my browser, and I don't even have that yet because that secondary upgrade hasn't been pushed to my phone. Pretty anticlimactic.

Question Droid users,

I am considering getting one of these bad chickens. But I have a question; how easy is it to tether your droid and use it as a modem for a macbook?

Pretty easy with a free down load called PDA net. It is somewhat limited, so if you want the full deal of course there is a version you pay for. You need to down load software to the hand held and also to the Mac. I have a Droid X and a Mac Book and this works well. You can also use Bluetooth with PDA net, but it's pretty slow. You can also Root your phone and then have access to wireless tethering via the wireless hotspot function.

Rooting is the way to go if you need simple and easy wireless tethering.
Since it uses standard protocols and encryption, you should have no issues with connecting the Mac Book.

Well my "X" showed up today. Been toying with it for a few hours now and I thought I'd be able to figure things out pretty easily but I was apparently fooling myself. I can't even get my email working yet.

I did buy my first app and it's working well but it's going to take me awhile to get this thing configured the way I want it.

My Incredible was my first ever smart phone.
I suppose it was because I had no pre-conceptions, but it was amazingly easy to just take off and go with the darned thing.

I had to look up how to do just a couple of things and the rest was intuitive.

I handed it to a girl who'd been using Blackberry for a few years, and she didn't have a clue how to make it do anything.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tucker301</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I handed it to a girl who'd been using Blackberry for a few years, and she didn't have a clue how to make it do anything.
</div></div>

That's probably my issue. Been running a BB for years now.

The Droid X is a Verizon product.
Verizon doesn't have a 4G network yet.

Neither does Sprint, but that hasn't stopped them from claiming that they do.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tucker301</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Droid X is a Verizon product.
Verizon doesn't have a 4G network yet.

Neither does Sprint, but that hasn't stopped them from claiming that they do. </div></div>

Bingo.

4G is going to use the 700 MHz spectrum which non of Verizon's current devices use, so you will have to buy a "4G capable phone" when they become available. It's looking like only certain mobile broadband cards will be 4G capable during the initial launch. You most likely won't see any 4G capable phones for several months after it is launched.

FYI, the 2.2 update for the Incredible is launching today.

I hope you get better performance and less problems from 2.2 than I have experienced.

Sluggish display and touch-detection, new problems with accessing Exchange if your company uses Certificates, glitches with the display when answering calls, slow boot-up. Oh, and don't trust the alarms on 2.2, I have had it fail to alarm at least 7 times in the last 2 weeks. I "was" using it as my alarm clock.

I wish I could stay with 2.1....it had none of these problems.
I have considered rooting so I can go back to it and not get constant reminders to install the update.

It has been a real step backwards for me on my original Motorola Droid.

In my experience Android 2.2 sucks.

I'm not going to update mine until I can root it and get all of my apps on it, especially the free wifi tether app.

2.1 has been rock solid for me.

2.2 sucks canary Berry's everything is laggy as shit. I did however just download handcent SMS that app is pretty cool. I would rather go back to 2.1 honestly. First time I've been mad at this phone. Still love it though.

If you root you can go to whatever ROM/firmware version you want at any time. It's pretty nice I must say.

Also, I liked Handcent at first too (November) but after months of frustration I finally deleted it, went back to the stock messaging app and couldn't be happier. My phone is more stable, less battery is wasted on a messaging app and I no longer get double/triple text messages or miss text messages completely the way I did using Handcent. Maybe you'll have better luck but if you experience any of that then uninstall it and forget you ever saw it.

Third day with my "X" and I'm loving it. I'm using it's wireless hotspot feature typing this as I sit in my car working a part time security job.

The only thing I miss about my BB is the ability to turn off all notifications except phone calls easily. It took one second to do this on the BB. I'm looking for an app that will duplicate this feature if anyone knows of one.

Phylodog,

Check out Sweet Dreams
qrcode.png

and Timeriffic
chart

And get a barcode scanner, if you don't already have one
wink.gif

I'm confused now more than ever about which damn phone to buy...been holding out on buying one for awhile now. I have KAC Bulletflight on my woman's Iphone and love it...wondering if I should just buy a dang Ipod Touch and put it in an Otterbox and take the app from her phone and put it on the Itouch.

I don't really need a Droid type of phone, but would obviously be cool to tinker with.

If I do wind up getting one, it would be between the Droid X, HTC Incredible, Droid 2, or LG Ally.

Have no clue honestly which one to pick. I can get the LG Ally free right now...or pay $99 for one of the other 3.

F@ckin Decisions!

Thanks Tuck, downloaded the barcode scanner last night so your post is outstanding.

HD1911: If the size of the Droid X doesn't turn you off I have to say it's an outstanding device. I have played with my brother's Droid and I like the X much better.

I am new to the smartphones. Why would one get an "x" over a droid 2 or vice versa? Thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 35WLN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am new to the smartphones. Why would one get an "x" over a droid 2 or vice versa? Thanks </div></div>

The X is made by HTC and the Droid 2 is made by Motorola.

Each phone has its own set of features and enhancements.

Probably the biggest difference is that the Droid 2 has a physical keyboard while the X uses only a virtual keyboard.

Ultimately, you should review the features and specs of each and make your choice accordingly.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dennis Muldrew</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Negative, the X is a Motorola phone. I have one in my hand! </div></div>

Yeah Tucker even I know that...Geez!
laugh.gif

Sorry. I am in the thick of the 2.2 upgrade and not very attentive.

It seems to be much faster. Not that it was slow to start with, but it's screaming now.
Benchmark results.

Before / After 2.2 Froyo
TGHPb.jpg
JklzJ.jpg

Instead of the 100% stock ROM I loaded the Virtuous 2.3 modded one.
It's pure stock, but with much of the Verizon crap removed, newest Flash, etc.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=765447

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tucker301</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It seems to be much faster. Not that it was slow to start with, but it's screaming now.
Benchmark results.

Before / After 2.2 Froyo
TGHPb.jpg
JklzJ.jpg

Instead of the 100% stock ROM I loaded the Virtuous 2.3 modded one.
It's pure stock, but with much of the Verizon crap removed, newest Flash, etc.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=765447
</div></div>

Where do I find this app?

Can u do that Fancy stuff to the Droid X? thinking about going with it.

Chiller, the app for Benchmarking is called Quadrant.
It's free from Android Market.
http://www.appbrain.com/app/com.aurorasoftworks.quadrant.ui.standard

HD1911,
Yes.
The phone can be rooted and custom ROM's can be installed.
Using a utility called Clockwork Recovery, you can do a full backup of your installation, flash others to try them out, and restore the original if desired.

I also use Titanium Backup to backup my installed apps and settings to the SD card and then restore them once the new ROM is installed.

Right now, I can flash my phone to:

1. Yesterday's Android 2.1 with all apps and settings.
2. Today's Android 2.2 with all new apps and settings.
3. Another ROM I'm playing with called SkyRaider.
4. There's plenty of room for more, but I only have som much time to devote to these things.

Here are some resources for you peruse.

Root/Unroot Droid X in one Click
http://www.droid-life.com/2010/07/27/root-and-unroot-your-droid-x-with-1-click/

Rooting is basically unlocking the phone.
After you have root, you can move on to installing custom ROM's.
Just be meticulous in following the instructions given by the developers. Shortcuts don't work and they will kill a phone.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=691

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tucker301</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Chiller, the app for Benchmarking is called Quadrant.

HD1911,
Yes.
Using a utility called Clockwork Recovery, you can do a full backup of your installation, flash others to try them out, and restore the original if desired.

I also use Titanium Backup to backup my installed apps and settings to the SD card and then restore them once the new ROM is installed.

4. There's plenty of room for more, but I only have som much time to devote to these things.

Just be meticulous in following the instructions given by the developers. Shortcuts don't work and they will kill a phone.

</div></div>

Do you need the Android SDK to run adb shell?

Cool.

I just got done overclocking my wife's Droid to 900 MHz.
Can go higher, but I didn't want stability issues.

Results were very good

IpSgm.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tucker301</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Chiller, the app for Benchmarking is called Quadrant.

HD1911,
Yes.

</div></div>

thank you sir

I hope that's what you were asking.
The increased performance is not the result of the app. That's just the tool that documents it.

The performance gains were from basically upgrading the operating system to a newer version.