• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Drop-leg holster setup. Blackhawk or other?

JelloStorm

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 23, 2010
Northeast Pennsylvania
I'd like to get myself a drop leg holster setup for my 92FS and have been looking at the Blackhawk Serpa setups. I'm only concerned about the button issues on the Serpa holster itself, but their drop-leg platform looks solid.

http://www.opticsplanet.net/blackhawk-tactical-holster-platform.html

Plus I could switch the attached holster from my 92FS to my HK USP and so forth...

Thoughts?

Re: Drop-leg holster setup. Blackhawk or other?

Blade-tek Thumb drive is better. The serpa can get grit in the mechanism and it locks up.

Preference really but Safariland Drop legs are the most common. My current one, which is modified (shortened drop, single strap) I've been running for about 10 plus years. I tried the Blade-Tech DL and didn't care for the thumb strap, however that was prior to their new WRS design.

You can put different holster bodies on the Safariland leg shroud as well.

The 6004-10 is the single strap version, and they do a Drop Flex Adapter (DFA) which might bring it up a little higher, too.

The higher the better with leg holsters. Why do you want one, anyway?

highspeedgearinc airborne is great. I like it more than my drop leg serpa.

It comes back to the whole SERPA issue. If you have used a serpa before and understand what you are doing with it and will continue to train with it go for it. If you haven't used one but are willing to take the time to understand it and train with it go for it. If you are not going to train with it and and don't understand the ned to train with it your going to pull a Tex Goober and shoot yourself.

I like my SERPA and will use it again if I get sent back to the box. And I will train with it.

I use the SERPA for my SRT team and have no issues with it. I have the same set up for over two years now, with numerous weapon draws and re-holsters and not one issue. I also purchased the adapter that allows me to remove my holster from the drop leg, take it and place it onto my duty belt. So, it has had its use.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jim D</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The higher the better with leg holsters. Why do you want one, anyway? </div></div>

To make a long story short, last year a buddy and I were out small game hunting with little 17HMR rifles and out of no where two bear cubs came running up to him and started sniffing his boots while mamma bear stood there and watched.

So we both agreed at that very instant that having a sidearm wouldn't be a bad thing and a drop leg means I wouldn't have to reach under layers of clothing to get to it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JelloStorm</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jim D</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The higher the better with leg holsters. Why do you want one, anyway? </div></div>

To make a long story short, last year a buddy and I were out small game hunting with little 17HMR rifles and out of no where two bear cubs came running up to him and started sniffing his boots while mamma bear stood there and watched.

So we both agreed at that very instant that having a sidearm wouldn't be a bad thing and a drop leg means I wouldn't have to reach under layers of clothing to get to it. </div></div>

You can use a drop/offset belt loop attachment to do that, too.
http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q...ed=0CCsQ8wIwAg#

Safariland, been my go-to duty holster since I got on the job 5 years ago. I like the regular 6004. Never cared for all the other retention methods, the rotating hood does all it needs.

Been a safariland thigh holster user for years. I have a serpa belt holster and find the safariland hood to be much easier to use than the serpa button thing.

No problems with my Safariland! Made a few mods to my liking and its as good as any.

k9g

I have used Safariland for 15 years or so.NEVER had a problem or issue with it.SERPA has the POTENTIAL of getting the trigger finger onto the trigger IF you are not proficient with it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TBannister</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Blade-tek Thumb drive is better. The serpa can get grit in the mechanism and it locks up. </div></div>

I believe this to be true, however my gun fighting days are over and I use the Serpa Drop leg with a universal quick detach mount on my Brokos belt. It lets my quickly snap on or off the drop leg or use the same holster in a belt mount. It works for me.
2011-10-06_12-12-08_365.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JelloStorm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
So we both agreed at that very instant that having a sidearm wouldn't be a bad thing and a drop leg means I wouldn't have to reach under layers of clothing to get to it. </div></div>

If you hunt in brush a drop leg will piss you off to no end.

Run a drop shank on a regular Safariland holster and you will be able to strap it on your belt and have it accessible when wearing a field jacket length coat.

The only reason I have ever used a drop leg holster is to clear body armor. Even then I ran it as high as I could. I hate how they feel and when I wasn't running armor and ended up laying prone the holster would always roll around to the front of my leg.

I have a Serpa that I used in three differant schools and in the sandbox, and I still use it when I'm hunting, etc. I never had any trouble with it, other than drop-legs are always a nuisence. For what it's worth, I like the draw with it, especially during transitions.

If you want access to a holster when wearing a long jacket/parka, just setup a battle belt with the holster on that.