• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Dropped my gun

Apothus

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 12, 2007
Prescott, Arizona
Got in late tonight, tired, splitting headache from quitting caffeine. Pulled my backpack out of the truck, didn't realize the strap was looped on my Henry 22 lever action. It hit muzzle first on the concrete drive way, then scope,then settled on the wood stock. Swore silently...a lot, got it inside and looked it over. The muzzle end of the barrel on the outside edge is chewed up pretty bad but the bore seems intact. The stock has several 8th inch gouged in it. Looked through the scope at the wall in the dimly lit den, and the crosshairs looked straight still.

I've never dropped a gun this bad. Do you think it will still shoot true? It's not exactly an Olympic tack driver but still 3/4 inch at 50 yards was good enough for me

No point in crying over spilt milk. Shoot it and see what you got. If anything changed it ought to be fixable.

If anything has changed, it will mostly likely be the zero. No big deal, Simply adjust the scope and rezero the rifle. A centrefire rifle is much more likely to be knocked off zero by such an incident than a lightweight rimfire rifle because of its relatively greater mass (unless the rimfire rifle is fitted with those cheap and nasty opposing-Phillips-screw ringmounts).

If the crown is damaged it easy to have a smith recrown. If the stock damage really bothers you refinish it in the winter. I had a Ruger #1 with XXX wood slung over my shoulder when dragging a deer out. The side of the but stock rubbed against a zipper on my pack. A little steel wool and oil worked pretty well to repair. Pissed me off, but at least I was using the gun for what it was intended for.

I feel you on the caffeine. I was making myself sick drinking so much coffee and soda years ago. Tried cutting back but it didn't work out. Had to quit cold-turkey and haven't had a drop of a caffeinated beverage in about 16 years. I had a severe headache and irritability for about a month (wife says irritability lasted longer). Good luck to you. There is light at the end of the tunnel.

Sorry about the gun. There are some guns that one can keep in pristine condition even with frequent use -- for years and years -- and it can be really frustrating to have something like this happen. Good luck.