• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Dry Firing The CZ457

1911JMB

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jun 29, 2020
The owners manual and tech support say don't dry fire with out snap caps. I like to dry fire but can't find any caps which feed from the magazine. Currently I am just lifting and closing the bolt but I would like to complete the full action during dryfire. Do any of you have suggestions. CZ acted like I was insane for asking if they sold or recommended a snap cap manufacturer.

Use drywall anchors, the yellow ones, they will stay in the chamber as you cycle the action. Never seen a .22 snap cap that would feed reliably.

Reactions: Navy Gunner
just to ask cant you take a couple 22lr rounds that you already shot and just reuse the brass and do the same thing or go to a range and find dud rounds on the ground pull them apart and carefully take the powder and primer stuff out and make your own snap caps that way ? or maybe these things . which ever you choose good luck and may it work out for you.

so you knock the dry wall anchor out when you are done with a cleaning rod?

Take out your bolt and turn the handle so the firing pin can go fully forward and measure. I have never encountered a rifle head spaced so bad that the firing pin will extend past the bolt face, that is what will get you into trouble when dry firing it would absolutely crush the rim of the cartridge, damage the breech face and certainly not help accuracy. I'm sure there will be disagreement but I have dry fired RF rifles many times with no ill effects, this is not to say that I spend hours dry fire practicing, just what I need for working on them and sorting issues out.

I will check in the morning but I'm pretty sure my 457 manual says you can dry fire. I certainly could with my 455.

I'll check in the morning. I think the breech is clearanced.

Never Read my manual I probably got several thousand dry fires on mind and it still works

Yellow dry wall anchors feed from my magazine with 2 loaded but ftf with more, but sometimes won't extract. I do about 5ish dry firings, rotate the anchor and go again. Cheap insurance. I've heard you can stuff a foam ear plug in the chamber as well.

Ive used drywall anchors for years on my 452 when I had it..they fed out of magazine and ejected like a normal round. Never had them stuck in the chamber but not all is the same I guess?

Kind of a one or two time use if feeding out of mag but can use multiple times if single fed and rotating.

I've had 2 different answers given to me by 22 precision shooters. one said they dry fire everyday with no issues and one said don't dry fire your cz.
I had some small drywall anchors and spent brass. I opted to use the anchors for longer term use. they feed from the mag and extract as well. but when I dry fire, I only lift up the bolt and then pull back down...I don't cycle the full bolt.

Am a little late to the party, but I use Steelworx 22 LR Steel Snap Caps Dummy Rounds for my CZ457. They cycle nearly flawlessly, simulating conditions I encounter during NRL22 matches. Can find em on Amazon. They hold up well.

Reactions: Boatninja
I will have to check that out I tried the wall anchors but they eject and don't feed. Someone told me it is safe to dry fire but the manual says no. I will say occasionally during the course of handling I have dry fired them and I don't see a firing pin mark

From the MTR manual

Attachments

• IMG_20210504_160153.jpg
    IMG_20210504_160153.jpg
    276.4 KB · Views: 525