• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

DTA SRS vs DTA SRS Covert

94browninghunt

Private
Minuteman
Dec 21, 2011
What is the difference between the DTA SRS and the DTA SRS Covert.
The DTA SRS is now offered in: .243 Win, .308 Win, .300 Win, .338LM, .260 Rem, 7mm, 6.5 x 47 mm.

Is the Covert compatible with the above calibers? or is just restricted to the .308?

I know the DTA SRS 308 barrel is a little longer than the covert, and of course the obvious chassis color. What other differences are there?

Re: DTA SRS vs DTA SRS Covert

I would personally get the SRS over the covert.

Covert
-Shorter handguard
-Feed ramp style extension (not compatible with SRS barrels)

SRS
-Longer handguard
-Pin style extension (COMPATIBLE with covert barrels)

You can always buy a Covert handguard kit from DTA if you want to go shorter.

Mark

As far as I know, the only difference between the 2 chassis is the length of the forearm - which you can purchase a conversion separately.

DTA SRS also has feed ramp indexing version.

Yep, the pin-based index is the Gen 1 barrel extension which is still supported by DTA. So regardless of whether you have a Covert or SRS, you can get barrels with either the Gen 1 or 2 barrel extension.

Or you can have an SRS made into a Covert as I did. I have one of each now since I converted one of the SRSs into a Covert.

The only difference in the COVERT and the SRS is the hand rail in front.

The covert you can shoot the shorter barrels. The SRS the shortest barrel you can shoot is 22".

You can buy the opposite rail of the gun you end up with ( ie. if you buy the Covert, then you can buy the longer rail that turns your covert into an SRS AND vice versa. ) Although get ready to get bent over, DTA wants 400.00 for a 50.00 part.

Also, the Pinned version was a design problem. People kept braking the pins in the DTA when doing swaps. The new GEN 2 guns are all ramp versions. DO NOT GET A BRAND NEW PINNED VERSION GEN 1 GUN.

Oh ok, so basically i should buy a srs that is NOT gen 1. or i can buy the covert and just change the railing to the length of srs is that right?

In my opinion. The only thing that an srs can do that a covert can not is mount inline night optic system.

I have found you can use AR riser system to accomplish that on the covert...

So the covert can do anything the SRS can do , but the SRS can not do what the Covert can. ( that is run 16" barrels )

I would buy the Covert..

you guys make the pins sound like they are made out of glass, i ran a pin gun for 2 years and never once damaged the pin and now teh guy who bought it from me is running it without issue. unless you are going to throw your barrels down the rail system there is no pin breaking epidemic goin on with gen 1 DTA's

Another advantage of the SRS over the Covert is being able to mount the bipod out farther as well as sling attachment point.

Sorry to go off topic. Is DTA chassis' front-end threading compatible with any AR platform forearms?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dogtown</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Another advantage of the SRS over the Covert is being able to mount the bipod out farther as well as sling attachment point. </div></div>

Yes, but then you are not using the DTA for what it is the best on the market for. "Shortness"

Even the SRS is short though. My point is that the Covert's so short, that you can't mount the bipod out very far and sling attachments aren't out far enough, IMHO. So the SRS is compact and the Covert is even more compact.

Not to mention the Covert does subsonics very well do to the faster 1 in 8 twist in the covert barrels
wink.gif

If you use AR risers like the A.R.M.S. swan sleeves you can make the covert alittle longer when you want to.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigJoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">you guys make the pins sound like they are made out of glass, i ran a pin gun for 2 years and never once damaged the pin and now teh guy who bought it from me is running it without issue. unless you are going to throw your barrels down the rail system there is no pin breaking epidemic goin on with gen 1 DTA's </div></div>

I also have been using the gen 1 without a problem and to this day have not replaced the pin once. In my opinion unless there is some barrel changing competion to see who can change the fastest you should not have ANY problems with the pin system. I think the ones that broke were from people dropping barrels in like they were muzzle loaders then they deserve to break.

If there were or is no problem with Gen 1 then there would have been no reason to come out with the Gen 2.

The reason was the PRS contract if I'm not mistaken. I honestly want to know how many people broke a pin because I've only ever heard of one. And I know about 7-10 people who had/have gen 1's

1. DTA now offers both short (Covert) and long (SRS) handguards. They are interchangeable. That means one can convert between the two at will.

2. Gen 1 vs Gen 2. It is <span style="text-decoration: underline">possible</span> to break the alignment pin by slamming the barrel down the receiver during caliber change. That means two things must occur to get the pin damaged: bad luck and carelessness during caliber change. I have Gen 1, and so far - knocking on the wood
smile.gif
- my pin has been in perfect health. Military asked to improve this area, and DTA complied by designing Gen 2 that tolerates "barrel slamming".

If I were buying today - I'd buy Gen 2, because it offers an extra layer of "fool proof". If I were to buy Covert - I'd make sure to buy the long handguard in addition, so I can attach a night clip-on (say PVS-26) to it, and have more freedom in bipod placement. I'm not a fan of AR-style risers. But then, to each his own.