• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes Dual reticule for quasi SFP and FFP scope?

thefitter

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 10, 2010
First let me say that this is just a brain fart I came up with during this AMs run, so be gentle.

There has been the usual postings about SFP vs FFP. And it got me thinking. I have both and for me the benefits for both are the common opinions, FFP can range, SFP reticule stays fine at high power.

What I was thinking- what if there was a FFP scope that had a duel reticule, or reticule within a reticule? Meaning at the lower powers the cross hairs look solid but as you increase power the reticule magnifies as usual, but instead of just thickening it magnifies and exposes that it's actually 3 lines. The 2 outer lines that combine to appear solid at lower power and a fine line between that you can only see at the higher powers?

Thoughts? Opinions? Laughter?

Thanks

Not really. I'm not thinking CQB. I'm thinking more on regular 3-20, 5-25 or 12-50 power scopes.

There are some FFP reticles that are a bit like this. Offhand the SWFA SS 1-4x and 1-6x scopes have designs where the appearance at 1x is quite different from at top magnification. The Weaver 3-15x50 EMDR has a reticle with the thicker crosshairs being essentially open boxes with outer lines and clear center - but I think they end up being somewhat faint at low magnification anyway. The G2DMR reticle used in some Bushnell scopes has outer crosshairs made up of a fine line and lots of hash marks spaced 0.2 mil apart, making for sort of the same effect - but again, they are a bit gray/faint at low magnification.

I am curious why no one makes the outer crosshairs on a continuous taper, so that the edge of the field would have the same apparent thickness at all magnifications while the center of the field with ranging hashmarks changes apparent size with magnification (as you're used to with a FFP reticle).