• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Duathlon

SHEEPDOG1

Private
Minuteman
Mar 7, 2013
Does anyone have any idea how to train for a duathlon? The one I'm thinking of running contains a 2 mile run 10 mile bike ride and a 2 mile run.

What sort of fitness level are you at and what do you hope to accomplish in the duathlon (completion, age group, etc...)?

More info needed. What is your background? What are you good at? That is a hell of a short duathlon. For a fast guy that is a 50min race.

The one workout you MUST do is a "brick" workout...a hard bike followed but a fast run. The hardest part about a duathlon is the transition off the bike and into the second run. If you can learn how to do this well through practicing it a few times it will really help.

It really depends on if you are a biker or a runner. If you are a runner, you want to hit the first run hard, basically bike as hard as you can to avoid getting behind, then rely on your run ability to get you through a tired second run. If you are a biker, you want to run a bit more controlled on the first run, hammer the bike as hard as you can, then do as best you can on the final run.

Without any background info pretty hard to tell. I would recommend locating some triathletes in your area and talk to them about training routines. Those are both sprint distances and require a high level of intensity for shorter periods of time which is a totally different routine that training for distance. Intensity requires doing intervals. I am cyclist and have worked with triathletes over the years to increase their speed on the bike. It generally involved doing intervals of increasing intensity. If you want to race fast you have to train fast.

A litle background on me. I'm 51 years old, most of my life heavy lifting very little cardio. Since '07 been crossfitting when I'am injury free. Before posting my question I did a trial run and completed the duathlon in 83 minutes. Felt it was to slow thats why I was looking for training tips. Tonight when I train I'am going to try the "brick" workout suggested by Spaniel.

A favorite brick workout of mine is going to a running track with my bike and a stationary trainer. Workout can be broken down to as short and as long as you want depending on your fitness level and race distance.

Sprint Distance
- Bike twice the amount of time it took to do the 400
- repeat
International Distance, I do this one on the road.
- Out and back run, elapsed time 10 minutes
- Bike 15 minutes, I find that a loop works better than an out and back
- repeat,

These workouts will help you cut down on your transition times as well.

Last edited: