• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Durable Hardshell Jacket for Hunting/Heavy Brush

Cold_Bore_88

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 13, 2013
The Woodlands, TX
I am looking for some real world feedback and advice on a good DURABLE hardshell jacket. I spend a lot of time in the South Texas brush country (cactus, mesquite) and the high alpine Colorado back country. I would like to find a good hardshell jacket that I can use as a do all outer shell. Money is no object. I just don’t want to buy a jacket that will snag an tear.

I prefer to buy something from one of the major brands they carry in store. REI, Academy, etc. I don’t want to mess with sizing through the mail.

Any advice?

Arcteryx beta ar is pretty good

Great dwr treatment. Took it to Alaska and have another I wear all the time.

Kuiu katana is also good for less $$. It’s a touch quieter

Both durable so far for me

Last edited:
Arcteryx beta ar is pretty good

Great dwr treatment. Took it to Alaska and have another I wear all the time.

Kuiu katana is also good for less $$. It’s a touch quieter

Both durable so far for me
Thanks for the feedback. I was looking at the Beta recently. It seems to be the go to solution. I have the Atom and love it.

I have a 20 plus rear old Arctyrex.

Lining is starting to delaminate in places and the wire for the structured hood has popped out in places.

Still sheds water great though.

I have been using Arcteryx Alpha/Beta hard shells since they were first introduced but for really tough brush, nothing beats Filson Tin Cloth both single and double or oiled and unoiled.
NOTHING!!!!
Have camo Filson for Waterfowl and both oiled and unoiled depending on weather.
-Richard

Its by mail, unless you go through Austin…

The Forloh softshell has been amazing me for so far.

Quiet.
60 min rain, still dry.
Seems durable AF.

US made.

Arcteryx is now owned by China.
May as well buy Patagonia and send a check to GreenPeace and the Dem party.

Reactions: pmclaine
Its by mail, unless you go through Austin…

The Forloh softshell has been amazing me for so far.

Quiet.
60 min rain, still dry.
Seems durable AF.

US made.

Arcteryx is now owned by China.
May as well buy Patagonia and send a check to GreenPeace and the Dem party.
My Arcteryx was made in Canada.

Only gear of theirs I would by now would be LEAF line.

Cue up the people that want to whine “It’s a global economy, are you going to protest everything”

I say to them “Enjoy watching others fuck your wife”

Cue up the people that want to whine “It’s a global economy, are you going to protest everything”

Yes, ALL of their stuff was once made in Canada.

now very little of it is.
and the company as a whole was sold in 2019 to Anta Sports, 100% China owned.
So yeah, I am with you 100%., but wont even buy their LEAF stuff now.

And recommended the US made stuff that kicks butt.
I have a lotta days in it in the CO high country and am very impressed.

Pre fatherhood, I spent 200 days a year outside year round in the CO mountains, for 10 years, so I have a decent barometer of good gear and what quality is.

As one of the 20 somethign nurses at work was saying "Im going to hike a 14er tomorrow, it will be my 4th, have you ever hiked a 14er?"
"yes"
Her "how many"
"I have skied off the top of more of them than that young lady"
They think I am just an old guy with grey whiskers who bitches about the way things used to be and despises all liberals. :LOL:

Reactions: cornhusker86
Originally all Arcteryx was made in British Columbia, but due the sale to the Anta Sports Group and demand worldwide, many Arcteryx products are made Worldwide.
I try to purchase Arctrreyx still made in British Columbia, just because.
In addition, the LEAF brand is marketed and sold to Military and Law Enforcement.
Arcteryx is a big step up over most Patagonia.
I have been using Patagonia since their first hard shell and poly liner, there is nothing wrong with Patagonia and I still purchase from them.
Given a choice, I pick Arcteryx.
BTW the heavy duty Arcteryx gloves are THE ONLY GLOVE I HAVE FOUND TO BE WARM AND 100% WATERPROOF!!!
-Richard

Kitanica Mark V Jacket. They are currently on sale for 525 instead of the regular price of 700. I have one in XXL and it fits fine just like other jackets in the same size so order what size you normally wear and it should be good. Made in USA

Last edited:
I'm not sure what the current opinion of Stone Glacier is on the hide, but my M7 jacket has been a pleasant surprise. The only downfall is that it's not exactly the quietest, but neither are most of the Arc'teryx jackets mentioned.

Mountain state residents hate money. Spend yours where it is appreciated.

That said, camo is a fashion contest as much as anything. Just grab an outdoor/work jacket in an earth tone. I have a USA made carhart jacket that is somewhere between FDE and coyote. It was bough specifically to be an abrasion and thorn resistant outer layer. If you are hunting South Texas, may I suggest something in the color of plywood?

I’m not a kuiu Yukon fan at all.

Not a ton of time but easily 30 days in the field with various pieces.

Took a brand new pair of pants to Kodiak stayed wet all 10 days. It was horrible. Buddies kutana pants actually dried out.

Took the jacket up to Brooks
Kept me dry but was wet and heavy. We didn’t get Sun so it never dried out.

It was great for a horseback hunt up in BC but overall I think there are better options than Yukon

Mountain state residents hate money. Spend yours where it is appreciated.

That said, camo is a fashion contest as much as anything. Just grab an outdoor/work jacket in an earth tone. I have a USA made carhart jacket that is somewhere between FDE and coyote. It was bough specifically to be an abrasion and thorn resistant outer layer. If you are hunting South Texas, may I suggest something in the color of plywood?
I actually thought about this. I prefer not to get a camo so you and I think the same. Ha!

I struggled with this for a long time. I have a couple Patagonia products and they are great. I just really dislike their politics. Hard for me to spend money with them, but they make a good product.

1668293688577.png

buying an extra large it will keep your core warm and snug while allowing your head and limbs to move freely .
caution don't let this be you .

I’ll throw out a vote for the Otte Patrol parka hard shell. I don’t have experience with Texas brush country, but we have plenty of Himalayan blackberries here which are really tough on everything. We’ve worn Otte patrol parkas and patrol trousers (both hard shells) for over a decade and they have held up. Definitely not cheap, but neither are arcteryx or kuiu. And they have a ton of features that I like, pit zips, stowable hood, etc. And I believe made in USA as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cold_Bore_88
I have a Northface hardshell jacket, doesn't have a hood, that's probably at least 10 years old. Used it to chase hogs through central and south texas brush plenty of times and it hasn't torn yet.

Reactions: Cold_Bore_88