• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Gunsmithing Duracote spray gun?

Re: Duracote spray gun?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: krlemas</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When you Duracoat a scope that has a gloss finish how do you prepare it before applying the Duracoat?</div></div>
Ive never done a scope before but i would scuff the finish very lightly with the lowest grit scotch pad,the greyish one.theres several guys here on the hide that have mastered this art,hopefully theyll chime in.

"When you Duracoat a scope that has a gloss finish how do you prepare it before applying the Duracoat?"

The finish on most scopes is very easy to scratch. You don't have to blast them to get a good adhesion. A red scuff pad or some 400-600 grit wet/dry paper works fine. I'm sure someone will say the blast their scopes all the time. In my case I won't just in case media finds it's way to the glass.

yes i wouldnt want to get anything etching my glass!do this prep by hand.

Dude, I got a bunch of stuff for you to duracoat for me.
laugh.gif
I'll bring the beer! lol

I have never messed with duracote, but I paint cars for a living. I spray a lot of PPG Single stage paints and its pretty thick stuff. I use an hvlp gun with a 1.3 tip. If I were to spray house paint I would probably use a 1.5 or 6 tip. Is duracote as think as latex wall paint?

Mike

Duracote sprays just fine out of my .8 Sata minijet. It also sprays just fine out of my Iwata airbrush. For spraying cars I use a 1.3 and primer I use a 1.6 I wouldn't use a 1.5 or 1.6 with duracote. You are going to put on to many mils with the larger nozzles. Which will lead to clearence issues. Blued steel will be a silver/matte look, mainly because it's opening up the steel. The best way I can relate duracote to paint is like a basecoat. Not very thick at all but covers in two coats.

I got my Iwata Baby gun today from the Snap On truck,its very small i think it will work fine.I have two rifles,four bottom metals and anything else that gets in the way to paint....Bacarrat bring your stuff.I have some shrimp you can grill while i coat all our stuff!!
babyiwata.jpg

m24projct.jpg

remxm.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TaylorM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Duracote sprays just fine out of my .8 Sata minijet. It also sprays just fine out of my Iwata airbrush. For spraying cars I use a 1.3 and primer I use a 1.6 I wouldn't use a 1.5 or 1.6 with duracote. You are going to put on to many mils with the larger nozzles. Which will lead to clearence issues. Blued steel will be a silver/matte look, mainly because it's opening up the steel. The best way I can relate duracote to paint is like a basecoat. Not very thick at all but covers in two coats. </div></div>

Oh if its like base then that sata minijet is the perfect gun. Kind of expensive if your only going to use it once though. The local napa has spray cans you can fill with the paint of your choice. You mix up the paint as per the directions and pour it in the can, there is compressed air and it works just like any old rattle can only with your custom color, or in this case, Duracoat.

Just a thought.

I have done spot touch ups in door jams with them and the finish is just as good as any rattle can job. you just need to make sure the paint is thinned enough is all. I think the problem most people have with spray paint is trying to do the job in one coat. Most any thing should take several THIN coats with proper tack time inbetween.

Now again, I have never messed with duracoat, so if it dosnt work dont come torch my house
laugh.gif

I would say try it out on some thing else, it beats buying a 400 dollar spray gun and compressor if your only going to paint your gun once.

Terry Cross(KMW) sent my rifle to me blasted with the A0. It really holds the finish and when you are done, the metal was nice and smooth.

Well i duracoted my m24 and xm3 style rifle this weekend.I think they turned out ok?Only if i was finishing a nice hunting rifles!!!!!!!,the finish came out super gloss!!I shot Combat black which is supposed to be flattest black duracote has but i didnt get the finish to be flat.Those duracote gurus let me know what the heck i did wrong.
I mixed according to the bottle 4 tablespoons to 1 of hardner?heres the rifles,please comment..............

duracote.jpg

duracote2.jpg

doracote3.jpg

Maybe you applied it to heavy. 2-3 Thin coats and let them flash for 10-15 mins. If its cold it may take longer to flash off. You should be able to touch the painted surface and leave no prints before next coat. Thats at least how I do it. My AK turned of flat black I think that was the same color I used. Not sure if it will work but maybe try and sand with a red scotch brite pad and apply one thin coat. It also dulls down a little more in a day or two.

ok thanks, im going to redo them all over again soon.I did apply heavy and probably did about 4-5 coats!What ill do is re-blast with aluminum oxide and start from the bottom or else im going to cover up the serial number and remington 700 markings if i just scotch brite the curent coat.damn, it sucks to learn the hard way.

Everybody has to learn some how. If the 700 marking is going away it probably is to thick. Keep up the good work. It will be easy before ya know it. They do look very nice though.

Heres another shot of the xm3 style rifle,man i wish it would of turned out flat black, id be done!

xmstyle.jpg