• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ear muffs

Shadow knows

Private
Minuteman
Aug 12, 2017
SD
Looking for another set of ear muffs. I currently have a set of walker slim line with the mic in the muff which I think is a dB of 23. I usually double up at the range, indoor and outdoor. I do not require Bluetooth.
I notice a lot of wind still, same as my older walker hunter version I have had for years but eats batts.
Wondering if there is anything out there that doesn’t have the wind noise so bad or is this something I have to deal with?

I have the 3M Peltor Tactical Pro. Also not cheap. But they work quite well. Wind noise is not an issue. I usually double up (with disposable plugs), just because more is better when protecting my ears. (I already have a pretty bad case of tinnitus.)

I've never had a chance to try the MSA Sordins. Has anyone here compared the MSA Sordin to the Peltor Tactical Pro?

I told my audiologist that I had bought msa for shooting and she told me msa did not test well. she works for a university with a degree so she is no dummy. She likes Pro Ears

I told my audiologist that I had bought msa for shooting and she told me msa did not test well. she works for a university with a degree so she is no dummy. She likes Pro Ears

Well... customer reviews of the Pro Ears... not so good (on Amazon). 3-star average. One of the biggest complaintsi is the all-PLASTIC headband, which is apparently prone to breaking... literally in half.

I'm going to give my MSA's to my wife. MSA customer service sucks. I tried to talk to them about the volume of the ear muffs, and they won't talk to you if you buy them on Amazon. Even if they are new. The Pro Ears have a very good warranty. They are nice people to deal with. Plus, the test that they did with different ear muffs, MSA was way off of what they published.

Been running Pro ears for 10 years. Made in USA. Enhances hearing while hunting listening for game, as well as protecting your hearing. Im a range safety officer and I shoot muzzle breaks on 243's to 338 Lapua's under a roof that I can touch if I reach her enough. In essence, it's like shooting inside of a dog house. Very loud. But, my ears stay protected. Pro ears are good to go.

FWIW, the Peltor Tactical Pros (which I have) have the highest average rating (and the highest number of reviews) on Amazon. I've been happy with them, and they've held up for about 4 years now without any problems.

I'm always interested in something better, but it appears the other big players are not necessarily better.... if I am to put any weight into the reviews / ratings.

I’ve always read that even though a particular product has a higher noise reduction rating, it all depends on how it’ll fit on that particular individual. Make sure whatever you buy fits and seals well. A muff that reduces 25 dB that seals well will always beat a 35 dB muff that seals poorly. But everyone knows that.

Reactions: Shadow knows
+1 on msa with gel cups. Ive had mine for 3 years and no problems. Got them from triad tactical.

Seems pro ears and msa are the big players here. My real big concern here is the wind noise though.

Example: I am shooting on a bench in 12mph wind at my 3 o’clock and my spotter is behind me calling 600 yd target. I have a plate and want to hear impact but with wind noise it sometimes is a pain with small cal. Now with something a bit heavier like 88’s or 95’s sure I can hear it but throwing 53’s it’s tough plus it’s exhausting listing to it for 6 hrs.

Howard Leights if you are on a budget. MSAs if you have some dough to throw around.

Or the 3M Peltor Tactical Pro, which are rated more highly by more people (on Amazon, FWIW) than the MSA, and a bit less (about $50 less, from what I can find). Still not cheap. But, I have had very good experience with them.

Yeah racer I agree. Only reason I didn’t list them is because I didn’t like patrolling while wearing them and man those ear cups made me hot. For shooting at the range though they are absolutely outstanding.

Yeah racer I agree. Only reason I didn’t list them is because I didn’t like patrolling while wearing them and man those ear cups made me hot. For shooting at the range though they are absolutely outstanding.

Yeah... they're a bit big. But, noise reduction is directly proportional to bigger cups / volume of insulation material. That said... I have had no issues shooting prone on my rifles.

Yes.. they're hot, especially where I live (south Florida). But, my hearing is worth sweating over a little.. :)

For ANY of these, if you have the option of getting GEL-FILLED SEALS, buy them even if it costs extra. The make a BIG difference.

I always double up with disposable foam plugs. I just turn up the volume on the muffs to compensate to hear what's going on around me. I can hear better than I would with my bare ears! It's like super-human hearing.

I had Peltor tacticals and have MSA's now. Both seemed to protect equally well, but the MSA's had less clipping, and were available in behind the neck style. If you're wearing them for long hours or under a helmet, they (MSA's) are just way more comfortable.

Reactions: Shadow knows