• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Earl, If only this had a wind reader...

Janus4088

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 3, 2009
San Jose, CA
I recently stumbled across this new Earl device. It would be an amazingly easy buy if it teamed with Kestryl to provide some of their functionality...

I am thinking about getting one for backpacking. Normally I steer away from technology when I am backpacking, but recently I have been going to areas that have inconsistent weather on extended trips, and having live updates so I know what to expect would be really nice.

Thoughts on this thing?

My only concern would be battery charge. I know it has a solar panel and claims 5 hours to charge, and a 20 hour battery life, but most devices usually fall prey to 100% over/under-estimate. 10 hour charging for 10 hour battery life wouldnt be make or break it I suppose, as it isn't as if while I am backpacking I would be using it that often.

Do any of you have experience with GMRS? How does the 20 mile range / 5 watt power stack up in mountainous terrain?

It does have a wind meter. I'd be a bit suspect of it's accuracy...but still. Overall I think this looks like a neat piece of kit. It's basically a ruggedized tablet that runs Android. That means the Kestrel *should* be able to sync to it. Since it has access to the android market, Shooter *should* be installable. I'm actually pretty damn interested in this guy.

It does have a wind meter. I'd be a bit suspect of it's accuracy...but still. Overall I think this looks like a neat piece of kit. It's basically a ruggedized tablet that runs Android. That means the Kestrel *should* be able to sync to it. Since it has access to the android market, Shooter *should* be installable. I'm actually pretty damn interested in this guy.

I was going to buy one purely for backpacking, but if both of those prove to be true im going to order one. I sent an email asking both questions, and I will update if I get a response.

I just noticed the screen is only rated to 0 degress C. That pretty much screws me. Maybe the next version...

Luckily I am in California -- at least in this case I suppose. So rarely does it hit sub 30F during the times of year I am backpacking.

Its using a hot-wire anemometer. These are known for having a very fast response time and if implemented properly can be fairly accurate. They are however also known to be somewhat delicate so hopefully they've properly protected it.

~Brett

Edit: I should add that a very fast response time means if its done right it should be able to have a fast screen update rate and should be able to respond to quicly changing wind conditions which would be a good thing for a shooter.

Last edited:
That thing is sweet, looks like they haven't decided on a price yet??

"During our crowdfunding campaign, preorder Earl<h17 style="color: rgb(51, 51, 51); font-weight: 900;"> starting at $249"

</h17><h17 style="color: rgb(51, 51, 51); font-weight: 900;">Stated that this is 30% off, and all purchases made by the funder will get 30% off as well. I assume it is for accessories like cases and Software. There are a couple of I think screen resolution offerings I dont totally understand. 100k is $249, 100k+24k is $299. </h17>

Those are built in map resolutions. The higher resolution map for the extra 50 will allow finer detail and zooming in more on the map.

If an app was built for it, it looks like you wouldn't even need the kestrel, as it has the sensors built right in.

Very cool looking device for ~300 bucks.

"During our crowdfunding campaign, preorder Earl<h17 style="color: rgb(51, 51, 51); font-weight: 900;"> starting at $249"

</h17><h17 style="color: rgb(51, 51, 51); font-weight: 900;">Stated that this is 30% off, and all purchases made by the funder will get 30% off as well. I assume it is for accessories like cases and Software. There are a couple of I think screen resolution offerings I dont totally understand. 100k is $249, 100k+24k is $299. </h17>

that is a lot more reasonable than I expected!!