• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Easiest way to deprime military brass?

rweldon

Sergeant
Minuteman
What is the easiest way to deprime military 5.56 and 7.62? I bought a punch that you can use to remove the primers with, but it seems like all I do when I use it is knock holes in the primer...and the primer won't come out. thanks

Re: Easiest way to deprime military brass?

The standard resizing die with decapper works fine but leaves part of the crimp behind, it then needs to be decrimped. Works fine for both .223 and .308 for me.

Your resizing die dosnt have the post in it to deprime?

You also need a swaging die for the primer pockets or you're going to have a hell of a time getting the primers seated properly even with the crimp removed.

They're easily worth the time and frustration you're going to spend without them.

+1 to just use a standard decapping and resize die to pop them loose.

Unless your loading on a Dillon 1050 I'd knock them out with a punch. You will get by with it for a while but will eventually bend or brake the decapping pin, ditto the decapping pin stem.

If you bend the stem and don't catch it then you have a bunch of loaded rounds that don't have enough neck tension to hold the bullet.

Your punch should have a die that holds the case with a hole in the bottom for the primer to fall out. Then use a Dillon swaging press to take the crimp out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MrMike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The standard resizing die with decapper works fine but leaves part of the crimp behind, it then needs to be decrimped. Works fine for both .223 and .308 for me.

Your resizing die dosnt have the post in it to deprime? </div></div>

+1

Most die manufacturers sell what they call universal decappers. They are quite reasonably priced.

I use a regular sizing/depriming die. I either use a deburring tool to remove the crimp or an RCBS swager to swage the pocket. If you use the deburring tool you get less firings before the pocket gets loose.

I use a Lee universal decapper die. I havn't broken it...yet.

Crimped in primers will have to have the crimp ring removed prior to repriming. You can get a Swage die or a Dillon Swager. Or do like I do and just cut it out with a case mouth chamfer tool. I have a hand drill mounted to a board that I clamp to the bench, I lock the trigger in the on position and go to town. I usually size/deprime first then trim, followed by inside chamfering the case mouth and flipping the brass over for cutting out the crimp.

Workz 4 me.

Halfnutz

I snapped the decapping pin on the first round with my new redding dies. I use a universal decapper now.

I use the lee universal decapper die. Then the dillon super swage 600. Done and done.
smile.gif

i also use a universal deprimer. I've been using one made by Lee and have not had a problem. works great once in a while i run into a berden primed case. the rod just pushes up in the die.