• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Easy and effective range finder fix

Ultraman550

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 8, 2011
Utah
Ive had some trouble ranging out to 300 yards on occasion so I came up with this little stand. Now I can easily range out to 800 without any problems and theres still at least 100-200 yards left in my range finder. I covered the stand in electrical metal tape and damn does it reflect sun light.

2im05dy.jpg

Re: Easy and effective range finder fix

Good way to stretch out a budget rangefinder, or <span style="font-style: italic">really</span> stretch the limits of any rangefinder if shooting ridiculously far with the big guns.

Cool idea! I have a silver reflector meant for use with photography, I bet that would work too.

Any sort of reflective safety sign would also work, trying to range off a stop sign or similar seems to never fail.

It's also possible to wrap portions of the target stand with reflective safety tape, also. It would make it one less thing to haul around.

So something like high end 3M reflective tape? Does it bounce enough back that small pieces-relative to the distance, work effectively?

MST, I just bought the Duck Tape brand. It works pretty well compared to when I didn't have it. My range finder is supposed to go to 1000 but at times I was having trouble getting a solid reading at 300, 400. I was getting solid readings at 800 yards. Now, I'm not shooting 800 yards away (not at that level yet but trying) but I was out there ranging all different distances and the furthest I got was 800.

I also changed the paint on my target to a white sheen. Before I had fluorescent orange so maybe that color wasn't such a good color for reflective purposes. But when I aim the range finder at the reflective metal it picks up instantly.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: geometro</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any sort of reflective safety sign would also work, trying to range off a stop sign or similar seems to never fail.

It's also possible to wrap portions of the target stand with reflective safety tape, also. It would make it one less thing to haul around.

</div></div>
I'm lucky in the sense that the place I shoot is ridiculously flat so everything can be transported in my car right to the spot I set up the targets and then right to the spot I set up my shooting area.

I end up relocating to change distance to a given target so being able to do accurate checks is a grand thing.

As soon as I read it I snapped "well yeah duh of course, they use a laser & reflective prism to do the listening in thing so the same thing should be a breeze for a rangefinder"

Going to go look for tape and see what I see with my Lieca!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: geometro</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any sort of reflective safety sign would also work, trying to range off a stop sign or similar seems to never fail. </div></div>

I've been thinking that old used street signs would make great target hangers - this just sealed the deal.

Sorry for not getting back sooner.

The reflective tape, doesn't have to be the 3M brand per se, or old street signs would work since they seem to reflect the non visible laser beam in my experience with a Bushnell 1600.

For the tape, if you run a spiral or cover a good section, it should work: the larger the area to bounce the laser, the better.

My guess is if you can see the reflective tape through your LRF, you should be able to get a reading off of it.

Did you try to glue aluminum foil?
Just a tough.

Reflective tape would be superior to aluminum foil.

The reflective material is designed to reflect light back to the source, the foil would only reflect light back to the source if it was orthogonal to it.