• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Maggie’s Ebonics in Real Life

Mr blasty

Private
Minuteman
May 31, 2010
MN
How would you pronounce this child's name?

"Le-a"

Leah?? NO

Lee - A?? NOPE

Lay - a?? NO

Lei?? Guess Again.

This child attends a school in Kansas City, Mo.

Her mother is irate because everyone is getting her name wrong.

It's pronounced "Ledasha".

When the Mother was asked about the pronunciation of the name, she said, "the dash don't be silent."

SO, if you see something come across your desk like this please remember to pronounce the dash. If dey axe you why, tell dem de dash don't be silent.

Re: Ebonics in Real Life

I had a co-worker in NYC who's name was spelled "Shanta". Apparently it was pronounced "Shaun-tay". Best part was she didn't understand why people had problems pronouncing her name lol!

i work in this shit every day. 2.5 years till i can retire and i can't wait. my boss does not know the difference betwen have and has. example "he have been to school". this guy sends e-mails all over the state using ebonics and thinks he is correct.

My wife teaches the 4th grade. One day she came home and told me she recieved a transfer student from East Oakland that had been expelled, his legal first name was Gangsta. My wife struggles to call him that.

I personally know a woman who named her children Yellonjello and Oranjello....you can guess what they were named after...I'll give you a hint. It's two different colors of her favorite snack.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CL&RR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My wife teaches the 4th grade. One day she came home and told me she recieved a transfer student from East Oakland that had been expelled, his legal first name was Gangsta. My wife struggles to call him that. </div></div> Was his middle name "licious"?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CL&RR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My wife teaches the 4th grade. One day she came home and told me she recieved a transfer student from East Oakland that had been expelled, his legal first name was Gangsta. My wife struggles to call him that. </div></div>

The way things are looking, he's probably our future president
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: netranger6</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Fuck. I will home school my son before he is exposed to that.</div></div>

Exactly, like I needed ANOTHER reason to be glad I'm homeschooling now.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: remau308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I personally know a woman who named her children Yellonjello and Oranjello....you can guess what they were named after...I'll give you a hint. It's two different colors of her favorite snack. </div></div>

lol, saw that up here in Detroit as well except they had the w at the end. Thought it was just a one time occurrence. Pronounced as yo-lan-ja-low and o-ran-ja-low.

Flyingbullseye

These people are trying to conjure Einstein creativity, with special olympics retardation!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: J.Marsh</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How much you want to bet she's an obama supporter??? </div></div>

How much do you want to bet the silly cow's never even voted?

I'm not an old man, but I've had the good fortune to have travelled and worked in many different countries. Ignorance doesn't recognize race, creed or colour.

LMAO!! That is too funny....the sad part is that it will probably result in the school getting sued.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: J.Marsh</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How much you want to bet she's an obama supporter??? </div></div>

There's over a 90% chance.
wink.gif

Hmm...

Not sure if I should laugh or cry. This shit is seriously getting ridiculous. I'm 32 and will probably never see a penny of my social security that gets swiped from me every paycheck. All the while these assholes, most of which are just too stupid/lazy to run a mop/broom sit at home thinking of these off the f...ing wall names and new "English" languages...Thanks but here is a news flash, <span style="font-style: italic">we don't be needing no new slanguages</span>. To top it all off they are collecting welfare that my hard earned money which pays "my" taxes is paying for.

Son of a bitch... I'm not laughing.

<span style="text-decoration: underline">DISCLAIMER</span>
I don't like any able bodied human, regardless of color, who collects my tax money to willingly sit on their ass and do nothing, so don't take this too personal(unless you got mad and started sweating cause it seemed like I was describing you). Hahaha ok so now I'm laughing

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CL&RR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My wife teaches the 4th grade. One day she came home and told me she recieved a transfer student from East Oakland that had been expelled, his legal first name was Gangsta. My wife struggles to call him that. </div></div>

The sad thing is that a generation of fucktards are now adults that are rapidly becoming the majority. Its not just in the USA,..the problem is manifest in just about every western nation.

Had a student named Miata, met a Nike and had another student with a brother named Cannibus. Yes, I teach public school and yes ebonics is a b***h, so is affirmative action hiring.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BillK65</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A friend of mine is a teacher and she had a girl in her class named <span style="color: #FF0000">Mystakia</span>. </div></div>Hahahaha.... Yeah she was, the truth hurts doesn't it little girl hahahahaha damn

What happened to the names suzy, judy, earl, rob, john, mary, nancy and so forth?

Granted I wont name my kid so forth.
wink.gif

No lie... In a new unit, I called up a troop to come up from formation and get an award. I called the name and no one moved. I called again and no one moved. We figured out who it was for and when I asked her to pronounce her name, the name that came out of her mouth didnt match any of the letters in her name, and it was spelled correctly on the award.

Its embarrassing, but good grief....

I can beat all of these. My wife was a high school science teacher up until a couple of years ago. She had a student that started the year off knocked up. The kid gave birth and brought her baby to class to show her off. When my wife asked what her baby's name was she said,"Identaband". She thought that the hospital named babies. She saw the name on the hospital band and went with it. gentlemen I shit you not.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Emilio</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> When my wife asked what her baby's name was she said,"Identaband". She thought that the hospital named babies. She saw the name on the hospital band and went with it. gentlemen I shit you not. </div></div>I believe you and that is f'd up.

I fully believe all of it, my mom had a student in her class named............(wait for it)..........Placenta!

The mother was heart broken when the people at school didn't care for the childs name, after all, she thought it was such a "pretty word."

And these aren't stereotypes, it's the damn truth.

I also worked with a nurse who came from Atlanta, I believe. Saw a mother name her kid, Normal Saline, pronounced Nor-Mall Sa-Lean. Guess where the inspiration for that one came from.

redirt I think you fall into the same catagory as me, your not racist you are and equal oppotunity Bigot. You hate everyone including yourself when they or you deserve it.
I have another saying as well:
The stupid shall be punished

Thank goodness we actually have a Law in this Country preventing retards giving their kids stupid/dumb or downright insulting names.

These idiot underclass morons should be charged with child abuse let alone be permitted to breed ever more crotch droppings.

I work in a jail so you can imagine the names I see. There's Mister Sir, Abc, Carvette Chevelle, Lemon Pig & Genisis Revelation. In my experience, the stranger the name, the dumber the person. Most of the inmates we have with normal names aren't troublemakers and seem to be halfway bright (for inmates). The ones with strange names are usually troublemakers, dumb as dirt or both.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: km71107</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I work in a jail so you can imagine the names I see. There's Mister Sir, Abc, Carvette Chevelle, Lemon Pig & Genisis Revelation. In my experience, the stranger the name, the dumber the person. Most of the inmates we have with normal names aren't troublemakers and seem to be halfway bright (for inmates). The ones with strange names are usually troublemakers, dumb as dirt or both. </div></div>

Kind of like the song a Boy named Sue.
laugh.gif

WTF, don't blame her

This friend of my wife, a Doc, went shopping in Sacramento, she had her script pad in her jacket... She went and tried on a jacket, and bought it and forgot her script pad for seriously like 30 minutes.

When she got back, it was gone, she alerted who she is supposed to, and then a few days later her office got a call from a Pharmacy...

"We have a script here, that I am sure is a fake but you have to hear this, the Police are on the way, but it says... 'Tylenol numba fo'"

She told us that the person who was getting the script, yes was Medi-Cal, but had the correct dose/units.

I'm proud of you guys, i was expecting this to be chocked full of racial slander and prejudice towards a particular group of people. But it's sad that small minded idiots have such a large impact on all of our lives no matter what walk of life you chose..

Sad too that Gansta could surprise us all and turn out to be brain surgeon but who is ever going to give him a chance in life with a name like that? You name your kid something stupid and you are essentially sealing his fate.

Scarey ain't it? My mother was a teacher in the public school system. Even she shakes her head when she hear's some of these "progressive" names.

I had a Resident in training named Malumed

Pharmacy called to say a patient in the hospital phoned in a prescription:

Conv. went as follows according to the pharmacist:

This be Dr. Malumed, Mr ____ needs Mo-fine 15 pounds right now

Needless to say script was not filled
PS Usu Very High dose is: 15mg Morphinge

There is a Kansas City, MO school board member named Airrick.
crazy.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mr blasty</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How would you pronounce this child's name?

"Le-a"

Leah?? NO

Lee - A?? NOPE

Lay - a?? NO

Lei?? Guess Again.

This child attends a school in Kansas City, Mo.

Her mother is irate because everyone is getting her name wrong.

It's pronounced "Ledasha".

When the Mother was asked about the pronunciation of the name, she said, "the dash don't be silent."

SO, if you see something come across your desk like this please remember to pronounce the dash. If dey axe you why, tell dem de dash don't be silent. </div></div>

So I guess if she joined the Navy her name would change to "letacka"

Probably not related to Ebonics, but I was running on the treadmill at the gym one morning, and watching the news on the many screens they had up. The NAACP was in the news talking about something when their CEO came on, when I saw his name under his picture I just about fell off the treadmill.

President and CEO: Ben Jealous

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: A.O.R.G.S-RemiG</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm proud of you guys, i was expecting this to be chocked full of racial slander and prejudice towards a particular group of people. But it's sad that small minded idiots have such a large impact on all of our lives no matter what walk of life you chose.. </div></div>
Stupidity isn't restricted to any one race or group of people. I don't care what color you are. If you're a dumbass, you're a dumbass.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: km71107</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: A.O.R.G.S-RemiG</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm proud of you guys, i was expecting this to be chocked full of racial slander and prejudice towards a particular group of people. But it's sad that small minded idiots have such a large impact on all of our lives no matter what walk of life you chose.. </div></div>
Stupidity isn't restricted to any one race or group of people. I don't care what color you are. If you're a dumbass, you're a dumbass. </div></div>+1!