• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ec tuner brake or Adaptive tuning sistem?

EMCA

Private
Minuteman
Apr 20, 2020
Hi guys.
Lately there seems to be a lot of talk about tuners and I want to try one for my 6.5 creedmoor.
Which of the 2 seems more effective as a tuner?
Which one would you choose and why?

ATS doesn't require you to turn down and cut additional threads into your barrel, it just uses your existing muzzle threads. That simplifies installation and when you re-barrel or if you want to move the ATS to a different gun there's no extra work needed. I've got an ATS on a .22 rifle and I'm happy with it. A buddy of mine using the EC Tuner on his .22 rifle and he's happy with it too, though it does need to have additional threads cut on the barrel.

ATS doesn't require you to turn down and cut additional threads into your barrel, it just uses your existing muzzle threads. That simplifies installation and when you re-barrel or if you want to move the ATS to a different gun there's no extra work needed. I've got an ATS on a .22 rifle and I'm happy with it. A buddy of mine using the EC Tuner on his .22 rifle and he's happy with it too, though it does need to have additional threads cut on the barrel.
EC has a tuner/brake that threads on without having to cut.

I’m waiting for some without warning tuners to show up. I suspect they will work very well for me

EC has a tuner/brake that threads on without having to cut.
I was not aware. Are you talking about their tuner brakes, or is there something like the ATS where it screws onto the muzzle threads, and then whatever muzzle device you want screws down in front of the tuner?

Anyone try these tuners on a 15" barrel?

I will be taking delivery of my new toy this Wed.
6.5CM Nosler M48 Independence pistol.
I am psyched!

Thinking of adding the EC tuner/brake...

I am given to understand tuners do work for some people. I have an ATS tuner which I tried on my 6.5 creedmore two different times and I never saw a difference worth noting. If I put 10 in a inch the tuner didn’t make it three quarters or a half inch. I watched others at the local range confirm my findings. I remain curious but largely ignore tuners now. Good luck.

Fixing to do an adapter, suppressor, then EC tuner test with some plinkers I have a supply of.

This will contrast to a lot of your tests as will he a bargan barrel test.

I expect a larger roi on my cheaper equipment but figure it will end up a percentage type thing.

If your current load has maxed out your shooting skills / eqipment limits I would expect diminished returns.

Consider youself lucky.

I am given to understand tuners do work for some people. I have an ATS tuner which I tried on my 6.5 creedmore two different times and I never saw a difference worth noting. If I put 10 in a inch the tuner didn’t make it three quarters or a half inch. I watched others at the local range confirm my findings. I remain curious but largely ignore tuners now. Good luck.
Moar, It seems a tuner for center fire works on a relatively less rigid bbl. FTR 30” in a medium to heavy Palma contour responds to the typical tuner weights but a 20” straight 1.25” might require an inordinate amount of extra weight added, as a rough example. A rifle with some built-in positive compensation is another way of stating this. A 24-26” slender rim fire bbl will show you what they do. A good seating depth does about the same in a CF, the tuner advantage being ability to dial for a big delta in conditions. A good wide powder node gets around this within limits and I don’t bother with them in CF for this reason.

Moar, It seems a tuner for center fire works on a relatively less rigid bbl. FTR 30” in a medium to heavy Palma contour responds to the typical tuner weights but a 20” straight 1.25” might require an inordinate amount of extra weight added, as a rough example. A rifle with some built-in positive compensation is another way of stating this. A 24-26” slender rim fire bbl will show you what they do. A good seating depth does about the same in a CF, the tuner advantage being ability to dial for a big delta in conditions. A good wide powder node gets around this within limits and I don’t bother with them in CF for this reason.
I run 24 inch 1.25 inch straight barrels and my tuners work just fine on my barrels. They also worked just fine on the 26 inch proof carbon sendero barrel I used to help develop them and are working great on the pros nrl hunter builds that are running my tuners which all have carbon barrels.

If people aren’t getting the desired results with a tuner and barrel combination there’s a good chance they’re either using a tuner too light for the type of barrel they are using it on ie not enough adjustment to get to the middle of a node (not an issue with 4 oz tuners but can be an issue with 2 oz or less tuners ie ec brake) or they are using it incorrectly/are having trouble shooting groups. Which is understandable, tuners are new to this crowd and some people are passing around information that isn’t the best.

Reactions: moaorbust
I have not tried it yet.
Until September 1, I couldn't go to the shooting range.
My rifle is a bergara hmr 6.5 creedmoor.
I have 2 loads ready for the test.
One with hornady eldm 140gr, with an average speed of 2840 fps and sd 2.
This load groups at 0.75 "-1".
there is what the tuner can do
The other load is with berger vldh 140gr.
This load groups sub-0.5 "consistently.

I am very interested in loading eldm 140gr as I get good es and sd, but grouping is not good

I have the EC tuner/brakes on both of my 6 BR's and a ATS on my 6 Dasher. I was skeptical, but they work. The ATS is nice because I can run whatever brake/suppressor I want, but the brake on the EC is pretty good and it is a lot cleaner look, which I prefer.

What are the heavier tuner/brake options available?
I am reading that the EC tuner/brake is 2oz.
And the heavier options, 4oz., brand/make was not specified, is better for heavier contoured barrels.
I will guess this will apply to shorter barrels as well?

Just received my new “laser pointer”,
6.5CM Nosler M48 Independence pistol, barrel is 15”

I am trying to avoid spending twice, or more.

Thanks.

Last edited:
What are the heavier tuner/brake options available?
I am reading that the EC tuner/brake is 2oz.
And the heavier options, 4oz., brand/make was not specified, is better for heavier contoured barrels.
I will guess this will apply to shorter barrels as well?

Just received my new “laser pointer”,
6.5CM Nosler M48 Independence pistol, barrel is 15”

I am trying to avoid spending twice, or more.

Thanks.
EC brake is 1.5 oz I’m pretty sure but the original barrel mounted version is heavier in the 4 oz range.

It comes down to how you’re going to use the tuner also. If you’re going to try and tune factory ammo with a lightweight tuner, you might run into issues with a limited range of adjustment and same deal with trying to do load development by replacing seating depth adjustments with just using the tuner. But it’s a lottery, you don’t know if you’re close to a node from your starting point or far away and how much adjustment you’ll actually need. Which is why I made mine the way I did, larger heavier tuner with very fine adjustments.
if you’re going to tune a load after doing complete load development you should already be in or on the edge of a node so a lightweight tuner will be fine.

Ats tuners have a good amount of adjustment in them and everyone runs them without issue so they’re the easiest screw on and go option, otherwise the ec barrel mounted tuner is the way to go.

My tuners are sold out currently and we are restocking but it will be a while. The website is: www.strikewithoutwarning.com

Reactions: buggz
A little late to this thread, but I figured I'd chime in with my results.

Bottom line: both work.

I became a believer in tuners from my time shooting ARA rimfire benches at a local club.

I prefer the ATS for the flexibility of running whichever brake / muzzle device I prefer (Area 419 Hellfire Match and SiCo adapter, in my case) That said, the EC brake is excellent and I had no issues keeping either configuration on target.

I own the ATS / Hellfire combo on my Howa 6 Creed, my father bought the tuner brake for his 7mm08 AR. We found settings that worked for us, then swapped. After some more testing we easily found settings that worked again. It really shines on guns that are limited in COAL (ARs, Mini actions etc) where you may not always be able to properly tune seating depth to the most ideal jump, due to mag length restrictions. Also definitely works better for factory ammo than making a well-tuned load even better. You're probably not going to take that sub-1/2 moa load down to 3/8 moa.... but you can easily take that 1 moa load down to 1/2.

My ATS is Rocksett-ed now behind my Hellfire adapter, and I don't see it coming off until I replace the barrel. When I build my next rifle, I'm ordering the same combo and installing it before the first shot is ever fired.

(Pics soon).

EC brake is 1.5 oz I’m pretty sure but the original barrel mounted version is heavier in the 4 oz range.

It comes down to how you’re going to use the tuner also. If you’re going to try and tune factory ammo with a lightweight tuner, you might run into issues with a limited range of adjustment and same deal with trying to do load development by replacing seating depth adjustments with just using the tuner. But it’s a lottery, you don’t know if you’re close to a node from your starting point or far away and how much adjustment you’ll actually need. Which is why I made mine the way I did, larger heavier tuner with very fine adjustments.
if you’re going to tune a load after doing complete load development you should already be in or on the edge of a node so a lightweight tuner will be fine.

Ats tuners have a good amount of adjustment in them and everyone runs them without issue so they’re the easiest screw on and go option, otherwise the ec barrel mounted tuner is the way to go.

My tuners are sold out currently and we are restocking but it will be a while. The website is: www.strikewithoutwarning.com
Even though you're sold out you don't list your pricing on your website what is the price of your tuner break?

Even though you're sold out you don't list your pricing on your website what is the price of your tuner break?
Thanks for pointing that out, I didn’t realise that error existed. I’ll fix it tonight. They are $325.