• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Member Link Up Edwardsville Il near Saint Louis MO

dyna962007

Private
Minuteman
Aug 26, 2012
STL MO area
Hey anyone out that we near me?
I am into AR's, handguns, and Saiga 12 shotguns,and most recently got a new Remington 700SS 5R BP.
Trying to get into long range shooting and scope and all the jazz that goes with it.
Just got a spotting scope and new rifle scope and still havent sighted it in yet.
Mike
[email protected]

Re: Edwardsville Il near Saint Louis MO

may be going to SIUE in a couple of years - but it does not look like any convenient options for shooting distance - st louis benchrest club has 600 but you have to get to the far side of the city, so no quick hop in traffic - 500 yd range: Effingham County Sportsman’s Club, Effingham, IL 60-80 $/year, but still over an hour drive - PASA park near Quincy has 600 yds and is very reasonable $$ but also a long ride

where did you plan to shoot?

I have a range near me in Highland IL called Highland pistol and rifle club. I shoot there often but only with my AR's and handguns and Saiga Shotgun.
They only have a 100 yard range so can zero your weapons sight but thats it. For long range shots, 500 and over I'd have to use one of the ones you mentioned.
I really would like to try a 1,000yd + shot someday.
My rifle is capable at that range easy but not so sure about me LOL

take a road trip out to NRA whittington - Raton NM, plan on camping out for a while and enjoy the ranges - I was there in May, nice weather and often had a range to myself - the steel buffalo target is 1123 yds, but no magnums of any type

sounds good but if I cant use my 300 winmag, I really wouldnt have a gun worth going there for. mike

you can use any magnum on the paper range to 1000 yds, they just restrict what is used on their steel - it is 6500 ft elevation so a 308 with 175SMK did great at the 1123 - only problem was with the background noise of the wind there was no sound coming back + at that distance no way to see hits, a miss gave a clear puff of dust so you could only get feed back from a miss

they have another valley that is only used for events where 2200 yds is possible

wow that is far out.
Do you use a spotting scope?
I have one I have not used yet, its a 20-60 power with 60mm glass. I know it will work at long distances but not sure how far.
My rifle scope is a 6-25 x 56mm so it is long range capable too

takes so long to reach 1100 that you are settled in to take the next shot and can spot dust splash with the scope - on the paper range you cannot see holes past 2-300 yds with any scope so for events you alternate pulling + pasting otherwise just drive down to check the targets

wow you mean Illinois?
I have been wanting to bad to find some folks into long range shooting. I am new to bolt guns and really could use the help from some more experienced guys.
I'm in Edwardsville but my office is in north county so I'm very familiar and grew up in STL also,
thanks a lot for the lead, mike

far out that is great. According to their site, its membership with refereral only, do you know anyone who is actually a member?
I probably know a bunch of people there but I dont know who they are LOL
I will keep pursuing it, its a great lead, thanks, mike

there is another one to consider: big piney sportsmen club, it would be 3 hours from edwardsville but at 800 yds and 55$/yr that could be worth it for only a couple times a year

where is that located? By the way is this George O from south STL if not, you and I have talked before.
Either way, thanks, for the lead.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dyna962007</div><div class="ubbcode-body">where is that located? By the way is this George O from south STL if not, you and I have talked before.
Either way, thanks, for the lead. </div></div>

Houston MO

http://bigpineysportsmansclub.com/

I have only ever lived suburban Chicago - my daughter is at SIUE and I may be there in a couple years, especially with the decent potential ranges in the region

Thanks buddy. I live a couple of miles from SIUE and my teenager plans to go there when out of HS.
Great town and lovely college.
Thanks, for all the good info, mike

I shoot out by Vandalia, but it's just on our ground. We've got an old cleared railroad right of way for about a mile that I use to stretch out my .308, but that's all I've done so far. I don't know really anyone who does any longer shooting out here, though.