• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Advanced Marksmanship Effect of Stock-to-Shoulder Pressure on Groups

Smithcollector

Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Oct 24, 2009
    Georgia
    Been practicing with my 223 on a rest and rear bag and noticed that as I increase the seating pressure on the stock into my shoulder, the groups shift and open up. The rifle shoots best with the stock barely touching my shoulder. Groups are really good this way; when I tighten up, the groups shift up. Is this a problem with my technique, or should I just shoot with light pressure on the stock and not worry about it?

Re: Effect of Stock-to-Shoulder Pressure on Groups

i think it is probably more due to extra movement due to you trying to squeeeze the stock in so hard.

If you shoot with light contact, you will not be able to spot your own impacts among other things......there is a reason people say "drive" it. you do need to control it, just don't strangle it. try loading the bipod, it will put plenty of pressure on it for ya

Remember about NPA (Natural Point of Aim). It's supposed to be relaxed and comfortable. If you're obsessing about any part of the position, how can it be natural and relaxed?

Accuracy comes from consistency, however that affects shoulder pressure. IMHO, if you're relaxed, the shoulder pressure will take care of itself. Shoulder pressure should be about whether you're letting recoil slam you, and not about trying to control bullet impact with your shoulder. It can't be done and tryng to do it is probably a mistake.

Anything that distracts you from sight picture and trigger management is counterproductive. If the other stuff isn't practiced and mastered, then that's where the training needs to be performed until it becomes part of a totally natural act.

I'll say it again, sight picture and trigger management. That's all that needs to be on your mind when the shot's ready to break.

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: armymedic.2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i think it is probably more due to extra movement due to you trying to squeeeze the stock in so hard.

If you shoot with light contact, you will not be able to spot your own impacts among other things......there is a reason people say "drive" it. you do need to control it, just don't strangle it. try loading the bipod, it will put plenty of pressure on it for ya </div></div>

Note, he said .223. They are more like driving a bicycle than a muscle car, and the small holes are harder to spot.

This has been well discussed in the following topic: http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1822529&page=all

*I do not profess to know anything* but what I do:

Prone: shoulders are square to the target and even with each other, butt is resting in the natural divot between the front delt and the collar bone, I don't think about adding pressure with my shoulders to load the bipod, instead I slide my hips forward and settle in behind the gun. Now the bi pod is loaded my shoulders are flush and square to the target. Weak hand is working bag under the butt.

Seated and slung - I place the butt in the same divot, but if time permits I also extend my arm out straight and at a 90 away from the mid line of the body to really seat the butt in that divot. I try to be conscious about maintaining vertical and not imparting cant at this point. When my trigger hand comes back to the PG I want as little tension in it as possible. Therefore the pressure from the sling is what is pulling it into my shoulder. In order not to impart oblique forces I want the elbow of my forestock hand to be canted inward toward the midline of the body and sit directly under the rifle. In the end since I am also leaning forward at the waist, I feel like I am wrapped around the butt of the rifle but there is no tension (forward push) coming from the shoulder with the buttstock in it. From there it is trying to get bone on bone from the arms to the legs to firm up the position.

I have noticed (esp with a gas gun) I must concentrate on hand pressure (I want virtually no hand pressure on the PG) and a straight trigger pull. That pressure issue starts at the shoulder and manifests itself most at my hand. I try to think 'solid and neutral' but strive to have no tension or force to a maintain position.

Good luck

In the prone, the only pressure put my shoulders is from my leaning into the rifle. I find if I pull the gun back into my shoulder, I am much less sable, and fatigue faster.

noted on 223, but im not talking about spotting hits on paper, im talking about dust in the field, and immediate corrections

hard to argue with what greg l said too....

All,

Use only enough pressure to control the rifle until recoil has subsided. Muscular relaxation is paramount. The idea is with consistent recoil there will be little divergence in the angle/arc between the line of bore at rest and the line of bore at bullet exit. This concept is the SECRET to good shooting. Make the position perfect and proper sight alignment and trigger control will produce groups with very littel shot displacement.