• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

ELD-M problems. Replacement bullet?

Paqueo

Private
Minuteman
Dec 27, 2018
Have been using ELD-M 147 in my 6.5CM since a while without any problems.
Stock of bullets is finishing but with so many complaits about them make me think of a replacement bullet. Its for a 1 in 8" twist 24" barrel .
Any advice is apreciated

I guess you’ll have to explain your complaints. You say you don’t have any problem but complaints. Is it speed?
accuracy? Only reason I ask is because we can suggest another bullet but it may give you the same complaints.

I shoot the 140 ELD-Ms Currently and they shoot very well. Not to expensive and give me results I like.
I used to shoot the 139 Lapua Scenars (harder to find and $$$)
and the Berger 140 hybrid target (you can find but still $$$)
Again I stuck with the 140s because I can get them locally and for a good price still. They perform very well and I get what I want out of them.

26” hawk hill 1:8 6.5 CM

Reactions: Paqueo
Have you tried the Hdy 140 bthp? Not the best bc but for the price it performs really well in my rifle.

Prefer Berger 140 Hybrids for my 6.5CM. Outstanding accuracy, and seemingly more consistency than Hornady with the polymer tip.

I guess you’ll have to explain your complaints. You say you don’t have any problem but complaints. Is it speed?
accuracy? Only reason I ask is because we can suggest another bullet but it may give you the same complaints.

I shoot the 140 ELD-Ms Currently and they shoot very well. Not to expensive and give me results I like.
I used to shoot the 139 Lapua Scenars (harder to find and $$$)
and the Berger 140 hybrid target (you can find but still $$$)
Again I stuck with the 140s because I can get them locally and for a good price still. They perform very well and I get what I want out of them.

26” hawk hill 1:8 6.5 CM
Bullets exploding.

Have 2 6.5 creeds and both like the Berger 130 hybrids the best out of what I’ve tried which really isn’t many

They shoot the 140 eld’s and hybrids well but the 130s a little better and had a wider node so load development was easier.

Bullets exploding.
I hadn’t seen this. Thanks! Seems like a lot with PRC and not CM. Interesting....

The 140 ELDM are a fine bullet also, as is the 130, and 123. Personally, I don't like working up new loads so i tend to stick with one bullet. Ok, I don't, but I tell myself I should for that reason. :LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL:

140/144 Berger Hybrids, 142 Sierra MK. They all shoot about the same for me. The SMK's are slightly less expensive. I have a buddy shooting Hornady 140 BTHP from a 65 CM with very good results.

I hadn’t seen this. Thanks! Seems like a lot with PRC and not CM. Interesting....
That’s what I shoot from the CM. I can’t swear that I have experienced this, but it does provide an explanation as to some weird things that of happened with it. For example, I can shoot 40 rounds, clearly account for 39, all chronographed with a LabRadar, and one just seems to vanish.

Reactions: lash and Paqueo
As noted in other posts, I gave up on Hornady. Product performance and the company's problem denial lost my trust. 144 Berger Hybred for me now.

Same boat as this guy. I have a good load for 144s and am done buying Hornady for a while. I don't shoot enough volume to care if it's an extra $1-200 for bullets over the life of the barrel. I do have about a case of Hornady factory ammo that I'll shoot up and probably 500 varmint bullets that I load for my Dad, but he'll get switched over as well when those are gone. Sorry. That got a little off topic.

Reactions: lash and Paqueo
I've been away for 2 weeks. Sorry for my late reply to all of you that were kind enough to reply me.
I will have to develop a new load with a different bullet. Not confident on Hornady.

The 140 ELD seems to still be trouble free and a good bullet.
I have now had a few 130 ELD pop n my 260 but it’s not nearly as bad as the 180 and 147 were.
I’be moved to Berger for 7 mm and after I shoot all my current 130’s I’m moving to RDF or Berger for my 260 as well.

Reactions: Paqueo and lash
can't believe all you overlook the 136gr Scenar L for a 6.5CM

A little lighter for most rifles is always better, with the 136 you maintain the higher speeds and have roughly the same BC as the 140 class of bullets depending on which number you look at.

With the Hornady bullet issues, Bergers are a great choice but don't overlook Lapua either, much easier to work with bullet.

I found the 140 ELDM's to be inconsistant. I had to adjust my seater plus or minus 0.020 inches to keep a consistant CBTO. Berger and Sierra need about 0.002 plus or minus. I gave up on Hornady bullets after I tried the Hybrids and Match Kings. Still like my LnL AP press though.

A
Not a really correct assessment of what was posted in that thread. Read the actual posts and you’ll see many reporting 147s disappearing in good rifles at lower speeds in 6.5 Hornady factory ammo. More so lately than it used to be. I’m still putting my money on a minor materials/manufacturing change at Hornady to save money. But then I’m jaded from having spent my career working for manufacturing companies and have seen all sorts of things that help me to understand when things go awry.

A little lighter for most rifles is always better, with the 136 you maintain the higher speeds and have roughly the same BC as the 140 class of bullets depending on which number you look at.

With the Hornady bullet issues, Bergers are a great choice but don't overlook Lapua either, much easier to work with bullet.
Lol. I still am shooting these out of my third barrel. They are so consistent that there’s no reason to change. Well worth the cost, even though seemingly getting harder for me to find.

Would they be a good choice for a 260 also ?

I’m still putting my money on a minor materials/manufacturing change at Hornady to save money.
hahahaha...that's just value engineering, mate.

I shoot factory ammo and I have found Beger 140 gr Hybrid Target loaded ammo to work very nicely in my 6.5 CM.

Now if I can just find more of it....

Last edited:
Just going through load development now for a new 6.5 Creed 26" 1:8. Tried Sierra 123, 142, 150, Hornady 130 ELD and 140 SST. All were disappointing. Shot some 130 federal and 140 hornady match ammo, was even worse. Tried 130 Berger and 144 Berger- lights out. Settled on the 144 LRHT.

Just going through load development now for a new 6.5 Creed 26" 1:8. Tried Sierra 123, 142, 150, Hornady 130 ELD and 140 SST. All were disappointing. Shot some 130 federal and 140 hornady match ammo, was even worse. Tried 130 Berger and 144 Berger- lights out. Settled on the 144 LRHT.
Wow. I hope you have enough barrel life left to enjoy the 144s for a while. You might consider refining your load development method.

Wow. I hope you have enough barrel life left to enjoy the 144s for a while. You might consider refining your load development method.
With having tested all of those he couldn’t have dove too deep into any one of those mentioned. You can make most anything work usually provided its adequately twisted.

Reactions: MCHOG