• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Electronic ear protection ?

I use foam plugs with Howard lights over the top. I turn the volume all the way up during a match to have casual conversation. The muffs come off when I shoot a stage. I feel they get in the way if I keep them on.

I haven't spent a great deal of money, but I have never found any in ear plugs that I can comfortably wear all day other then the green foam ones I get from work.

Sport Ear...
They are custom molded to your ear to provide the best noise blockage.
combined with 4 level of sound amplification or maximum reduction make for a complete package and they are very comfortable to wear all day at the range or comps.

3m Peltor EEP-100, with Skull Screw tips, in ear electronic protection with 30db noise reduction
How are these? I was considering these or walker silencers. Mostly around bolt guns with breaks.

Had an issue with my Otto noise barriers. The soft grey rubber on-off cover on one came off. Called got a RMA# sent them back for repair. One week later Fedex delivered a new set, no questions asked. These were at least 1 1/2 years old and I use them all the time. My thoughts about the company. Outstanding! Love the product and the customer service was beyond my expectation.

Does anyone with the Sordins still feel like you need in ear plugs when shooting around braked guns? I didn't know if that was just me, defective headset, or if braked guns are just that loud and annoying :)

I double up almost always at the range but hunting just one set

I have a pair of Peltors and Walkers. For the money they both work great. I like the peltors slightly better because of the profile and how my cheek rests on rifles without disturbing the muffs.

Does anyone with the Sordins still feel like you need in ear plugs when shooting around braked guns? I didn't know if that was just me, defective headset, or if braked guns are just that loud and annoying :)

I love my Sordins, and have had (read abused) the same pair for nearly a decade, but I also double up with ear plugs on indoor ranges and around braked guns (also around SBRs that don't have cans). Outside, I'll still double up around unsuppressed SBRs because they are loud and annoying on a firing line. I'd like to preserve my hearing if I can...

The gel cup models are more comfortable, especially when factoring in extended wear with eyepro-but they are less durable than the foam ear cups. I also use just the Sordins when I hunt.

Walker Razor for me. They do a good job keeping the noise down and when I'm shooting steel I just crank the volume up a little to hear hits at longer distances.

The batteries last forever as well, unless you pull a bonehead and leave them on when you throw your gear bins back in the garage after a day in the desert....

My only complaint would be only front-facing microphones so it can be a little hard to tell if a sound is in front of you or behind .

Reactions: Steel+Killer
I have Pro Ears Gold and love them, but as stated earlier they tend to get moved with a rifle mount. Also shooting glasses break the muff cups contact to you head which reduces effectiveness.
So I got a pair of Westone Defend Ear. They are molded to your ear and have the electronics embedded and removable for battery changes. i got them for bird hunting but they pick up so much noise from walking I can’t really hear other hunters talking to me. They are great for still environments like deer hunting from a stand or PRS matches.

Also Pro Ears is developing a new in ear model called Stealth Elite. They may be worth looking into. I have no experience with them...yet.

Yes, absolutely. I still get a ringing in my ear with non braked rifles and pistols wearing only Sordins. It's best to double up. The Sordins do a much better job of reducing noise than the Howard Leigh's and the 27nrr Pro Ears Gold I have.

I recently acquired a set of MSA Sordin 75321 headset, I don't need the Lemo cable and boom mic. Is it possible to just cut the Lemo cable and boom mic off? Im just using them to go to the range, I don't need communication. Also if possible, will the electronics still work?

Thanks for your help

I recently acquired a set of MSA Sordin 75321 headset, I don't need the Lemo cable and boom mic. Is it possible to just cut the Lemo cable and boom mic off? Im just using them to go to the range, I don't need communication. Also if possible, will the electronics still work?

Thanks for your help

Peltor Comtacs are my go but I also have Howard Leights as backups which are a good value for the money.

EEP-100's with skull screws is the best ear-pro that I've ever used, much quieter than any muffs that I've used in the past and far more comfortable... particularly if you have to switch glasses.

Reactions: CarlM and 427Cobra
Walker Razor for me. They do a good job keeping the noise down and when I'm shooting steel I just crank the volume up a little to hear hits at longer distances.

The batteries last forever as well, unless you pull a bonehead and leave them on when you throw your gear bins back in the garage after a day in the desert....

My only complaint would be only front-facing microphones so it can be a little hard to tell if a sound is in front of you or behind .
I have the Walker Quads with four mics to help with directionality. I bought them originally for waterfowl hunting as I can no longer hear the birds at distance and coming in. Didn't work out too well for that but are excellent on the range.

Reactions: WestDesertPRS
I've personally used
  • Howard leight impact sports w/ gel cups
  • Poverty peltors (peltors 100)
  • Peltors comtacs
For comfort, the comtacs win hands down.

For sound clarity, the comtacs also win hands down.

For protection, I found the Howard leight are actually a bit better than the comtacs.

But make sure you spend the $60 and get a set of noisefighrer gel cups, they increase both the comfort and protection of the Howard leights.......the stock ear pads are junk.

I worked as an RSO at an indoor range.....I could wear just the HL on their own and be comfortable, I could not wear the comtacs without doubling up .

As I have said before I love my electronic walkers xcel over ear muffs . I can be on a full line with people shooting and hear a conversation at the other end of the line while without the need to yell or scream a nice normal volume , while still hearing the steel ring clear as day down range and the leaves rustling in the trees the only thing missing is the crack when the guns fire . And my favorite part my head does not hurt during a full day at the range . I will say , I wish the wiring was not as cheap as it is , and I do hear my left side crackel and it does stop working from time to time . But it always turns back on when messes with so I am positive its a crappy connection with crappy wiring . But besides that they still work 3 almost 4 years later and its good enough for me for now for only 100 dollars + shipping . I did see someone posted what looked like a really nice headset , but expensive over ear head phones in the forum on another post . But I seem to have lost the link to them , the gel sounds nice instead of foam pads .
good luck which ever brand you go with you only have your hearing once , well I guess hearing aids could be counted at twice but why loose your hearing when earmuffs or plugs can help you keep your hearing .

After using the Comtac 3’s since January, I gave my Howard’s to my mother. I double up at the indoor range and don’t when outside.

I have two MSA Sordins. Used them for 15 years. Good stuff.

But as a side note, they need some love. Anyone have a contact for their US Service department?

MSA Sordin Supreme Pro X neckband style. I shoot out of or near vehicles a lot and these have worked the best. Usually run suppressed now but still keep a pair of muffs hanging on the dash

Agreed, and with their gel ear cups its not uncomfortable to wear glasses with them like some other muffs.

I am using Peltors 300. Good value and no complaints so far. 300 WM shot in the neighboring lane was not a problem. The 500 variant offers slightly better protection (26 vs 24) and bluetooth. I don't listen to music and speaking on the phone on the range doesn't really work for me, so I settled for the 300. My range is outdoor only.

Been using ESP since 2001. On my second set. I think they're about as good as it gets...

What gun shot blocking, noise amplifying eat protection/muffs have you had good luck with? Thanks

Walkers. This one in particular: https://www.walkersgameear.com/xcel-100-digital-electronic-muff-w-voice-clarity/

I've this one: https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/1...ing+-+Ear+&+Eye+Protection&utm_content=574542 and can't recommend it. The clipping circuitry was slow as fuck and you would get full amplification of the first shot before it would clip off and the passive attenuation took over

Swatcom Active 8. Waited to get them on sell close to the NDA/sordin price. They are very nice and work great. No need to double up unless around a bunch of other shooters with breaks or under a covered space.

3m peltor, I have the tep 200 ear plugs and I also have peltor muffs. I like them both. I prefer muffs over the ear buds. Ear buds are super pricey too

Otto Noize Barriers get me vote. Liked mine so much after trying many others, I ended up getting a pair for my wife and three young adult kids.
After we all did a week at Gunsite, they also gave nothing but rave reviews for comfort and protection.
I've used mine with braked rifles, shotguns and pistols with great results also..
I bought them for bird hunting (dove and quail) the give me perfect direction awareness for incoming and outgoing birds. Something I couldn't get from any other electronic ear pro prior to these.
Like earlier poster, Botach usually has the best prices.

IsoTunes just came out with a sport shooting line. The NRR rating looks promising (26 vs. my Impacts at 22). I prefer muffs for the bone conduction aspect of hearing protection and so far these seem really solid. The bluetooth is nice and you can independently control the outside noise and the bluetooth volume. Not as good as the Impacts when it comes to wind noise. They amplify the sounds pretty well so I can still hear when used with foamies or plugs.

I've always needed in-ear plugs for rifles. Over ear muffs get pushed up by rifle stock for me. Wont be much longer and I can just turn my hearing aids down...
Same, I use a pair of silicone plugs under muffs when I can for rifles.

As to the OP question- I’ve had a pair of Peltor Com-Tacs for almost 20 years and would order another set today if I lost them. Super comfortable, durable, and quality.
I replaced the foam ear pieces a couple years ago and was pleased to find out they still sell a kit for a product this old (and of course they still make Com-Tacs now), compared to so many others that aren’t serviceable at all.

I’ll add that when using both plugs and the ComTacs, I can turn the volume all the way up and hear pretty much normally for talking, but have really good sound protection.

Last edited:
I like Peltors. Tactical, sport tactical. What is use now.

Not a fan of the 2 pairs of MSA/Sordins with gel ear cups I had. NRR wasn't up to snuff without Surefires underneath for my ears.
Sold them at a loss and would skip them for range use.

Overall sound was very good and could see using them for "operations" type stuff if I was professional, but overall prefer Peltors Tactical.

I forgot to mention that you'll need to size the ear plugs. One size does not fit all. They are available on amazon at cheaper prices than what you get from the mfr. The ones that came with the Otto Noizebarriers were too large. Also, you may want to use foam ep's over the flange type. They provide better db reduction.

Also, you may want to use foam ep's over the flange type. They provide better db reduction.
+1

Flange type with open stoppers have their uses, but overall foams have been better db reduction IME as well.

(I wear Surefire flange with open stoppers and keep them on when around muzzle brakes, using muffs over when people are shooting, but keeping the Surefire flange plugs in when just talking)

if someone lights off a round when muffs aren't on at least I have some protection

Reactions: Sgtsideways
Your last sentence. Friend of mine had the muffs kick off while shooting magnum rounds. It only took one shot and his hearing was messed up for months. That's when I got serious about hearing protection. Once it's gone, it won't come back.