• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Eletronic ear muffs

island man

Private
Minuteman
Dec 15, 2013
I am looking to buy a set of electronic ear muffs, any suggestions or recommendations on a particular make model would be welcome. I will be using them for rough shooting and target practice, I hear there was some make that keep the wind noise down? Thanks.

I like my howard leights. No issues in the 2 years i've had them.

never used the MSA Sordin. Have used Howard Leights for 2 years and am very happy with them. Volume adj. helps cut out wind noise and they are low profile so a solid cheek weld doesn't push them up over your ear. That said, try both and see which fits best.

Howard Leights are good, great for the price actully. I also have a pair of MSA Sordin Digital's and there worth the extra cash if you have it to spend but you can't go wrong either way.

If you do get the MSA's spend the extra bit and get the gel cups.

Wow, I'm not the OP, but have found the responses informative. I was expecting at least ONE person to mention Peltor.

MSA Sordins all the way, but make sure you buy them from a authorized dealer like Triad just in case a warranty issue arises.

I have MSA Sordins w/gel cups from Triad. Very comfortable and Triad has been very good with timely order processing, shipping and communication if there is a problem with your order.

For all the guys using MSA, do you prefer the "standard" Pro-X or the neckband model?

Thanks very much for all info guys looks like its going to be MSA standard or pro-X or the Howard Leights will try them before I purchase thanks again.

I've been looking at getting a pair of the Howard Leight ones, but found some Walker's Alpha Electronic muffs at an affordable price today (500 DKR or $91.55 US).

Does anyone have any experience with these?

I wear ear pro as part of my daily duties, I am an Army civilian and perform as an Instructor, Safety Observer and or Range Safety Officer.

I wear ear pro from around 3 hours a day to 12 hours a day. Depending on the days schedules.

I prefer MSA or SORDIN Neckband model with gel seals. Why? The neckband (behind the head) model allows wearing head gear (hats, helmet or knit caps for cold weather). The gel seals are awesome as they mold around eye pro or glasses instead of pressing them into the head like others.

I have used the Howard Leights and they are not even comparable. They are stiff, not moldable to your head very well, they are interfered with just about ANY sort of electronic signal nearby. They do seem to work OK during firing operations, but, they are NOT comfortable and a person NEEDS to take breaks and take this earpro off.

~Will

I used to use the Howard Leights as they are very cost effective but found on my watermelon head they didn't seal that well and would sometimes interfere with a good cheek weld, so I would resort to doubling up with foam plugs and then turn the volume up all the way so I could have the benefit of hearing and keeping my situational awareness. Recently I invested in some MSA Sordin Pros and got the upgraded gel ear pads. One of the best investments I've made in shooting gear, and should have done this a long time ago. I highly recommend the MSA Sordins.

OK, Peltor. I used mine for a long time with no issues. I don't like the location of the battery compartment. It requires you to pry off the ear pad. I think that put stress on the internals. But theyre not 4 times the cost of the MSA muffs.

Also have a pair of E-muffs from Dillon. Theyre also working just fine and are nice and low profile

Last edited:
I've been using a pair of 3M Peltor Tactical Sport and love them. For $100 they work great in wind, rain and 8 hour rifle training classes without issue. No problems to date with them.

This topic is VERY relevant to my interests. Your hearing is important (just like eyesight) so the cost of the MSA/Sordins probably sholdn't be a huge factor...but cost is always a consideration.

For those of you using Howard Leight Impact Sport, or Peltor 6S or TacSport, have you experienced any issues with the muffs interfering with cheek weld when prone or shooting from a bench? Do they work okay indoors?

No cheek weld issues prone or from bench with my Peltor and they work great indoors as well.

How are the MSA sordins and the Howard leight when it comes to getting wet as I wont be wearing a helmet or hood all the time?

I have a pair of peltor tacsports and love them

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

How are the MSA sordins and the Howard leight when it comes to getting wet as I wont be wearing a helmet or hood all the time?

the MSA are good to go in the rain. The mics, batteries and electronics are water resistant(rain, sweat, cleaning etc) not truly water proof(as in wearing them under water!).

I used the Dillon and the Peltor T6 prior to having a friend loan me the Sordin when the Peltor's took a shit in a class. Ever try to get a out-of-warranty Tac 6 repaired? 3M just tells you to buy a new pair. I'm sure that's good for sales, but it speaks volumes about what they think about their own product. The MSA Sordin is a true professional grade hearing pro setup, and not in the same class (in either performance or price) as some of the other brands mentioned. Buy once, cry once. +1 for the gelcups, once you're at 350, what's 400?

Can someone explain why the MSA's are so much better than the howard leighs?? It seems like the howards are rated at suppressing sound better than the MSA's (NRR 22 VS NRR 18). Is it just that they are that much more comfortable??

I'm on my 3rd set of Peltor Tac 6 muffs. For several years I was at the range minimum 3 times a week. Some times 6 to 10 hours a session. The price has come down considerably in the last several years. Every time I have an "ear" go bad it's been because I've worn them in the rain. I have 2 new sets unopened in the factory plastic just waiting. Midway had them on sale a while back for $69.

Good luck in your choice.

edited to say:

For rifle or shotgun use, take the "muffs" off the hanger and turn them over so the indention is at the bottom versus the top. The individual muffs are attached on a delta or triangle shaped rotation point. If you're careful you can change them out in 5 minutes. If you're not, you can break the rotary point from the headgear.

Last edited:
I used the Dillon and the Peltor T6 prior to having a friend loan me the Sordin when the Peltor's took a shit in a class. Ever try to get a out-of-warranty Tac 6 repaired? 3M just tells you to buy a new pair. I'm sure that's good for sales, but it speaks volumes about what they think about their own product. The MSA Sordin is a true professional grade hearing pro setup, and not in the same class (in either performance or price) as some of the other brands mentioned. Buy once, cry once. +1 for the gelcups, once you're at 350, what's 400?

If you are paying $350.00 for MSA with Gels, you are getting bent over....
The price will go up several % points for 2014, but for now, Triad's price is UNDER $300.00, including the Gels....

https://www.triadtactical.com/MISC-Shooting-Gear/

I use the Howard Leights with foam plugs underneath. I turn the volume up all the way and I can hear people talk, but it is still comfortable when the guys are shooting with muzzle brakes. I find that the muffs by themselves are not enough for the big bore, muzzle brake crazies.