• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

ELR Central W R results .

Clearlight

Minuteman
Jul 23, 2014
Brisbane Australia
Just saw some info on FB . More details will shake out over
the next few days .

Nate Statler 1768 yards

John Armstrong 1500 yards

Paul Phillips 1500 yards .

As I expected , cold bore at anything around 2000 or more is a big ask .
Interesting to hear that John Armstrong was shooting a 700 Rem in
7 STW , with a super sniper scope .....

Pretty impressive. Thought I would see a better showing from team AB. Apparently the winds were really switchy.

How's ol mate form with what almost looks like a 7mm hunting rifle compared to the 2 guys next to hims rifles that look like they are worth more than my house!!!! With a swfa scope what a legend what power is his scope anyone know?? He gives me some inspiration to get into long range with my 6.5x47l and 12 power swfa scope!!! Awsome stuff

Thanks for the update MontanaMarine . Anybody still bitching
about the validity and fairness of the comp rules ? I hear from
a friend at the comp that very few teams hit on the first shot ,
Even if you got an early draw , there’s the cold temp to dope ,
in the afternoon , you got more wind .

Looks like it was a tough day at the office for a lot of good
shooters . Looking forward to seeing some edited video , and
stories from those present .

This is very cool to hear. Please keep us posted on any AAR's of the event. Interested in hearing more and learning a bit.

From early reports on the Interweb, I think we still have a long way to travel before this format is viable.

Separately, I have been having chats with electronics engineers about ultra long range targetry and it is very possible to make functional and effective acoustic targets for ULR to plot groups. Hopefully SHOT will flush some stuff out.

Other than needing to move the non-shooter spectators back away from the firing point - at least 10 yards - so the competitors on the next relay have a place to form up prior to moving forward, the event went pretty smoothly. there were some coordination issues at teh very beginning between the Front Site and event folks, but that was sort of expected.

Plenty of humble pie for every shooter to eat. I might be wrong, but I think Nate Statler was the only person to go 3 for 3 in the morning and 3 for 3 in the afternoon.

I know John Armstrong did 3 for 3 in the morning, but not the afternoon. Yes John was shooting a 7 STW and Berger 195s. John was the only non-CheyTac of larger cartridge to get 3 for 3.

I think, but am not positive that Paul Phillips did the same (3 for 3 in the morning, but not the afternoon).

There should potentially be some additional discussion about a competitor's ability to shoot a 100 yard zero within minutes of going up to the line (if this is deemed ok, what does that do to a cold-bore first shot rule).

As a first time event, it went fairly smoothly. Frank did a good job running the Firing Line. We flew through the various relays, as I do not think a single shooter took the full time to send off 3 shots. the morning was fairly calm - but what wind was there was a sneaky bastard. the afternoon was more what I expected from the Nevada desert. Shifting directions and velocities constantly. When you got the condition you wanted, you shot 3 rounds, and did so quickly, as the wind was guaranteed to shift again soon. I hated that they repainted the targets form a dull orange in the morning to white in the afternoon - I had a hell of a time finding my designated target in the afternoon. Apparently the cameras were not showing the hits very well on the orange in the morning.

Jeffvn

Found this results sheet on accurate shooter

Attachments

• ELRC results.jpg
    ELRC results.jpg
    158.3 KB · Views: 97
Reactions: Safety_3rd
I was the Range Officer for the event and it turned out very good for a first go.

The there was no limit on the rifle, beyond weight, but the rules of the event were 3 shots including a cold bore and 3 hits, nothing else was counted. The plate was a maximum of 36x36" so it can be recreated with a smaller plate at the closer distances.

Range wise, there were targets from 1500, 1760, 2011, 2250, and finally 2550. The shooter had to call their shots before engaging.

As the RO, I asked the shooter which target, informed the table, who then turned the camera to that target. Once the bolt was closed you had 3 minutes to fire your 3 shots. Most shooters took less than 2 minutes.

initially, a few guys jumped on the longer shots because like all of use, in practice they could it. In reality, they quickly backed off to the 1500 yard target. Paul hit the 1500 yard target first, the very next shooter was John Armstrong, and then Nate, who hit at 1760.

After the 4 hour break as required by the rules, the winds really picked up. Very few hit more than one. John did hit 2 in the afternoon at 1 mile but he did drop one which means it was no score.

Nate of Team Tubb went for the 2011 yard target in the afternoon with the winds averaging 12 MPH. He finished up going 3 for 3.

This can be recreated in a number of ways including at shorter distances with smaller calibers. It's the old, No more than 3 shots from any 1 position Sniper Mantra. It makes sense from a practical standpoint to including military and hunting applications.

We can practice all we want and of course will get hits at distances well beyond this. But for the record, 3 for 3, no sighters, no free throws.

frank what target size are you thinking for the masses using 6.5 creedmoors, 260, 308 etc 24inch? 18 inch??

I think IPSC targets are good to 2k, I use them on my range, I do have 18x30 rectangles too, ( I see the IPSC as 18x24 the head barely counts) and that is the biggest we use unless we are doping then I lift up the 36" plate to help.

Once people figure out the data and especially the wind it will be like F Class and the target will get smaller. At least closer, meaning inside 2k.

But to be honest, in a field match, on command scenario 2 MOA is right. That is a practical size to start with.

Reactions: Mark V
The key issues for this ELR-C World Record attempt format: 1. Shot under match conditions and pressure - not just guys shooting in their "back yard"; 2. Repeatable performance - 3 for 3 consecutive shots; 3. No prior practice on the course; 4. No sighters; 5. Match Director and Range Officers to verify targets and results; 6. Event announced and open to the public; 6. No option to wait for the wind conditions to be ideal. 7. Only 3 minutes to shoot 3 shots. 8. Having a team or spotter does not really help if you miss your first shot since that puts you out of the running for 3 for 3.

Congratulations to all the shooters. It was great watching you all compete. Frank and Company ran a tight match especially once it got going. Thanks to Frontsight for making room an their facility for this event.

I like this format. Very consistent and repeatable. In comparison to KO2M, with rules still changing, especially weight, it's hard to compare one year to the next. Dropping 20% in the weight makes for big changes.