• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Elsie the Moo Cow

dave7mm

Private
Minuteman
Sep 25, 2001
pa
The 243 Win.
huntbike2010a052.jpg

and
huntbike2010a054.jpg

and
2008pig108.jpg

Specs.
Chambered for the 243 Win
M700 SA.
Pacific bolt .0025 under.
McMillian HBR stock, Gap camo white gray and black.
Rock 1 and 8 twisted Sendero, finish at 28 inches
Rifle Basic trigger at 10oz.
Seekens 20 MOA rail
Seekens 34mm rings
Schmidt and Bender 5-25x56 PMII P3Fine reticle
huntbike2010a048.jpg

and
huntbike2010a049.jpg

My first purpose built heavy per caliber rifle.I've been running 115g DTACS and 105g Amax bullets the Amax bullets get the nod.At least so far.
I think Randy at Accurate Rifle Works did a fine job.
2008pig141.jpg

Thats not the barrel thats on it now.Its got a 1-8 on it now.
Close up of the bolt.
2008pig142.jpg

My Model 33 is telling me that the 45.5g of Reloader 22 with Wolf primers in Lapua cases is getting me 3270 FPS on the 105g Amax.
If I do my part it will run .3 moa.
Last two shots to check/set zero on the scope before we put
Elsie to work.
huntbike2010a064.jpg

This guy is not sleeping in my driveway.
huntbike2010a062.jpg

Hes dead.
huntbike2010a063.jpg

dave

Re: Elsie the Moo Cow

If I had to do it again i'd run the 243 AI.That shoulder angle on the standard 243 is just alot of trimming.I dont like trimming that much.That brass is comming from somewhere.
I ran the 115g DTAC, David Tubb Accuracy bullet, quite a bit.No matter what I tried I just didnt like it at 300 yards.Shouldn't be any surprise at its throated for 105 class bullets.Danged Rel 25 would give 3133fps for 47 grains,all I could get in the case.It would shoot pretty good and then burn me.I gave up on them.Thought about throating it deeper just to use the DTAC.But it was easery to just try something else.
Ran 105g JLK vld bullets.Not impressed.Nice looking bullet and all,just didnt shoot very well in my gun.
Ended up with the 105g AMAX.Just seems more consistant at 300 yards.The load was 45.5g of Rel 22 with a standard Wolf primer and a Laupa case ,ran the 105 about .01 off the lands.
trees2010018.jpg

The rock barrel was Ultra coated and the DTAC bullets are BN coated.
The only blue I got out of this thing cleaning it,was off the jag.
Hard to believe you could run a bullet as long as a 115g DTAC at 3100 + and not get copper fouling.But im here to tell you.
The BN coating from Tubbs is the only way to fly.It leaves a very slick, cloudy type of finish on the bullet.That doesnt rub off.AND, ITS NOT BLACK CHIT.I never was much of a fan of that BLACK CHIT and now that I've got a good look at BN coating im going to switch over from Danzak as soon as I can swing it.
The 105g AMAX is fine shooting bullet only problem right now seems to be getting them.My buddie DonKnows used this 243 to drill a couple of chucks the other night.This amax puts a window in a woodchuck.Nasty big hole.Almost to the point of cutting them in half.
Little strip of hide top and bottem and a big hole in the middle.
A Texas Chainsaw Massacre with every pull of the trigger.The pic up top does not do justice to the hole you see there.Unreal.
Cant see myself usuing this round on a deer.No way.
Im making one more mod to the rifle before the killen starts for real.Im having Randy the gunsmith install a Defensive Edge brake tomorrow morning.One more trip to the range for a quick check.And its ready.
The soybeans are just breaking ground.Time for Elsie to earn her keep.

dave

Same day service.Dropped it off this morning.
Took it to the range this evening to check it out.
Defensive Edge brake.
trees2010037.jpg

and
trees20101112.jpg

Three clicks off on elevation and two clicks off for windage.After having the whole gun tore apart.I didnt think it was that bad.
The 105g Amax requires .3 clicks of up,to be on at 200 and .7 clicks of up,to be on at 300.
I didnt like the recoil and when I say that its not that a 243 is kicking hard I just didnt like the movement as the gun was fired.This break I would say cut the recoil or movement in half.
I set up pop bottles full of water to see if I could keep my sight picture through the recoil.And I would have to say that I could.Kinda nice to see the hit......
Mr.Woodchuck decided to come out for a little nibble of grass tonight just as I was finishing up.I managed to keep him in the scope as the the rifle fired and I saw the impact.
These Amax bullets are explosive.I think thats the word i'll use.The chuck I shot tonight was about 150 yards away and I did see the crap fly.That was my intent by installing the brake in the first place.
We're going to thin the herd on the farm tommorrow.

dave

The smaller of the two suffered his own little personalized nuclear holocaust with him being flipped up in the air about four feet with accompanying mushroom cloud of brown dust and red mist.The 105 Amax puts a window in a 10 lb. chuck.The hits on smaller chucks are spectacularly violent.
And my trigger puller got to see the hit.
Priceless
trees2010131.jpg

There was a pretty wide arc extending about 30 yards behind the little fellow of blood and clock parts.
Im thinking that this bullet is comming unglued enough that I dont have to worrie about skipping one off into the next township.

I had visions of launching 115g DTACs at impossible distances.But right now im just having fun and keeping the local farmers happy.

Cranked two more this morning.This thing is a hoot......

dave

One fricking rifle you have there.Love thw camo stock colors.Congrats.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: waggs4570</div><div class="ubbcode-body">One fricking rifle you have there.Love thw camo stock colors.Congrats..... </div></div>

thanks waggs.

dave

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Buckey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">dave,

Can't believe your running that POS scope - what's up?? </div></div>

You forgot to say lowlife POS scope.
Actually im a long time fan of S&B hunting rifle scopes.
2003_0521Image0020.jpg

Been running the hunting line up since the mid 80s.
Be sure to read my signature line at the bottom.

dave