• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fieldcraft EMP: Worth worrying about?

Re: EMP: Worth worrying about?

I use my electronics in advance.

Several (and the number is growing) of my rifles have stock charts depicting computed and confirmed drops and drifts laminated and bonded to the stock. If an EMP strikes, the computer's work is already done, anyway.

Greg

if your thinking of an EMP as a pre-req. for an invasion, I doubt it. I think an EMP would be more of a suitcase type attack on wall street wiping out everyone investments would be a more realistic threat.

No...

I'm thinking that with my Implanted Cardiac Device, the EMP will be the jolt of a lifetime...

Yeeee Haaahhh!

I lived through a tornado then no power for 2 weeks, ice storm no power for 3 weeks. I have the skills to survive. I actually enjoyed camping out in my house the last time. Makes you appresates things more. Put togather a bug-out bag and be perpared for anything. Guess I need to keep that old muscle car without a computer. I have compasses. My GPS doesn't work in some canyons anyway. Now i don't know what my niece would do with out texting. She went crazy during the ice storm when the towers were out for 10 days.

2,000 die in this state every year from MVAs. I would worry more about that. Put togather a bug-out bag for storms, war, flood, fire, then don't worry and go have fun.

...Wha, wha, what? Sorry I was looking at chuff's post...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would only worry about a EMP if I had an electronic lock on my gun safe!</div></div>

+1

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jawa</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...Wha, wha, what? Sorry I was looking at chuff's post... </div></div>

What was this thread about again?

They teach classes in college (A&M i think) on how to defend against an EMP. But in this class it covers construction, effects, best place to detonate etc. A dirty bomb at high altitude over central us would send us back to the stone age.

note: how many foreign exchange students do we have in the us?

+1 on the armadillo helmet!!

Anything is possible, When I use to work early mornings I would sometimes tune in to Coast to Coast AM and those people would talk about all these conspiracies. I think one dude said the best place to hide out is someplace that is 1)Remote, 2) Doesnt have great temp swings, 3)Has a constant supply of fresh water, 4)Lots of caves

I will head to the smokey mtns.

ill be on a sail boat off some small carribean atoll. I've been stocking up on rum for years.

The rest of yall are suckers!

My rifles don't plug into the wall, all of my optics are standard scopes and iron sights. No red dots or night vision gear here. My reloading equipment is all manually operated. So, I'm good to go.

EMP: Worth worrying about?

Only if you have a safe with a electronic combination lock!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: txhippo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

</div></div>

Most of the gys in my engineering courses were "middle eastern"

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: txhippo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They teach classes in college (A&M i think) on how to defend against an EMP. But in this class it covers construction, effects, best place to detonate etc. A dirty bomb at high altitude over central us would send us back to the stone age.

+1 on the armadillo helmet!! </div></div>
A simple "dirty bomb" would not produce an EMP. A "dirty bomb" is just radioactive material dispersed via conventional explosives. IT might contaminate, but it would not send us back to the stone age, no matter where it were detonated.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: csi:cyberspace</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: txhippo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They teach classes in college (A&M i think) on how to defend against an EMP. But in this class it covers construction, effects, best place to detonate etc. A dirty bomb at high altitude over central us would send us back to the stone age.

+1 on the armadillo helmet!! </div></div>
A simple "dirty bomb" would not produce an EMP. A "dirty bomb" is just radioactive material dispersed via conventional explosives. IT might contaminate, but it would not send us back to the stone age, no matter where it were detonated. </div></div>It may be more than a dirty bomb then but they teach the class anyway. I didn't take any class on it sorry if i mislead anyone.

So, on the automobile aspect. An old truck running on a points type ignition would be good. Yeah? Not that concerned, but I have one anyway. I prefer my old vehicle over this new comp. controlled crap. JMO

So, on the automobile aspect. An old truck running on a points type ignition would be good. Yeah? Not that concerned, but I have one anyway. I prefer my old vehicle over this new comp. controlled crap. JMO

Whether or not the point system ignition would be affected depends largely on proximity of the blast and how hard a hit the points took. Only foolproof way to be sure is to keep spare points, condenser, battery, and alternator in a faraday cage of some type.

That said, the last humdinger of a solar storm in 1859 unleashed enough energy to MELT telegraph lines. Something like that hits you, all bets are off. So I don't worry much about EMP. There are plenty of other disasters lurking about to concern a fellow. Unemployment, tornado, wife or kid flipping out and wrecking one's life, you name it. EMP is way down the list of things for this farm boy to worry about. Learn about it, make whatever preparations you deem appropriate, and move on. Shouldn't waste much time on such an unlikely threat.

BUT WHAT IF a zombie hoard controlled by an alien spacecraft from from the solar system umafinparanoid gets control of one of our nuclear subs?!

Just last week, we had a storm where I live, the power was out for a minute or two, when it came back on it surged and took out the control panel for my oven. I had to wait THREE DAYS to get it fixed, so I could make baked potatoes. I was freaking out.
If the phones would have been taken out, I don't know what I would have done.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1000yard</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just last week, we had a storm where I live, the power was out for a minute or two, when it came back on it surged and took out the control panel for my oven. I had to wait THREE DAYS to get it fixed, so I could make baked potatoes. I was freaking out.
If the phones would have been taken out, I don't know what I would have done. </div></div>

Their would have only been one solution LOOT!

<span style="text-decoration: line-through">Aye, "Loot, hog; or die..."</span>

...just kiddin'...

I don't buy this EMP bullSH*T - reason why?

We already detonated plenty of nukues in our upper atmosphere from 60,000 feet up to 300,000 feet and in space.

The only thing that suffered was the satellites that the radiation pattern went on for a while.

Didn't see any black outs over Nevada in the 60's did we?

Nope...

Research Operation Swordfish and others from that era.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ArcticLight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Didn't see any black outs over Nevada in the 60's did we?</div></div>

Yes we did.

A EMP done properly is much worst than a solar storm. In the 1860's (+ -) there was a solar storm that melted telegraph wires and stations.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would only worry about a EMP if I had an electronic lock on my gun safe! </div></div>

This is something I have asked about on other forums, and never gotten a satisfactory reply.

Given that the electronic lock is on the <span style="font-style: italic">inside</span> of the safe, and that the keypad is merely an IO device,,

Attach heavy gage bonding strap from safe to 8' ground rod.

confused.gif
? Does this not make gunsafe into Faraday Cage ?

If the lock is grounded to the safe it won't matter, the air would be charged with particles - unless the lock itself has copper shielding over it.

IN that case put copper shielding all around the gunsafe.

Most military ORD shops have those for anti-lightning and ESD protection.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: csi:cyberspace</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Two words:
Vacuum tubes. </div></div>
Truth. This is exactly why the Rooskies still use so much vacuum tube technology. And many of our 'enemies', for better or worse, are heavily dependent on Russian military hardware.

My brother's house recently was hit by lightning and he lost > $50,000 in electricals and electronics. I disassembled a couple of his PCs and found ICs fried and Caps leaking but no other signs that lightning had "run in" on it. I'm convinced the damage resulted from EMP.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cserv</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So, on the automobile aspect. An old truck running on a points type ignition would be good. Yeah? Not that concerned, but I have one anyway. I prefer my old vehicle over this new comp. controlled crap. JMO </div></div>
Did the Enola Gay's engines continue to run after the Hiroshima bomb detonated?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fred_C_Dobbs</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Did the Enola Gay's engines continue to run after the Hiroshima bomb detonated? </div></div>
B-29s had Magneto's, which could care less about a EMP. The como gear had Vac tubes.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gunfighter14e2</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fred_C_Dobbs</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Did the Enola Gay's engines continue to run after the Hiroshima bomb detonated? </div></div>
B-29s had Magneto's, which could care less about a EMP. The como gear had Vac tubes. </div></div>
Well there you have it.