• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes EOTech or Aimpoint?

ak0prter

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 12, 2010
TX
I have been looking for a long time at a red dot sight for my M4gery and I got offered a deal for a EOTech 512 I think. I forget the number, but it takes AA batteries and is NVD usable. It's brand new in the box on clearance for $375.

But I kinda like the aimpoint micro, it just cost twice as much and I don't see how I will get twice the value out of it. They both have a red dot that you aim with and I could get the smaller EOTech if I was that worried about the size.

What do y'all think, and what do you prefer and use?

Thanks for the advise

Re: EOTech or Aimpoint?

Aim point! I have both and Aim point is worth the money! I have seen way more problems with the Eotechs not holding zero, falling off with heave useage, and the batteries going dead at the worst time. For that matter I have seen some Eotechs get new batteries and a month later turn it on and nothing they are dead. FWIW

If it is a 512 it is not NV compatable. OK price for a 512 but nothing unheard of. I would get the newer XPS series for around $430. They have proven very reliable. A T-1 and riser is a couple of hundred more. A H-1 is less if you don't need NV compatabilty.

I have an EOTech XPS2-2 and I love it. About 2,700 rounds down range using the optic and so far not a single problem. I've tested a friends older model Aimpoint and I personally prefer the 65MOA reticle with the 1MOA dots of the EOTech over the 2MOA single dot Aimpoint. He feels the opposite of course. It really comes down to preference, and I personally don't think anybody's opinion or experience could substitute for actually looking through them yourself and seeing which you prefer. Some people find the EOTech more precise, others find it too cluttered. Some people like the simplicity of the Aimpoint.

The Aimpoint has a ridiculously long battery life, and that alone is a very good reason to purchase one in my opinion. On the other hand, I've heard a good number of people say that the EOTech is drastically more durable because of it's housing. Again, I wouldn't make your decision until you've personally held and compared both.

Another thing worth noting is that if you don't have good or near perfect vision, the reticle on the EOTech can look so fuzzy that you won't even be able to make the reticle out. My eyes aren't great, and the first time I looked through mine I was quite startled; the reticle looked like a giant splash of water.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Inline 6</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Aim point! I have both and Aim point is worth the money! I have seen way more problems with the Eotechs not holding zero, falling off with heave useage, and the batteries going dead at the worst time. For that matter I have seen some Eotechs get new batteries and a month later turn it on and nothing they are dead. FWIW </div></div>

This^. You don't have to get the Aimpoint Micro either. The plain jane model works just fine.

Aimpoint's have been on two of my guns for years without any issues. I can't say the same about an EOTech. I added a T1 when they came out and it is a great sight.

I have both Eotech 552 (NV) and Aimpoint ML3 2moa

For me the eotech is much faster picking up a running coyote because of the larger screen, and is easier for me to shoot with both eyes open

Both are great and everyone is a little different

I have an Eotech 556 and just recently had an Aimpoint Comp ML2.

I can't say anything bad about either of them, both are great optics and both were rock solid for me. That being said, I prefer the reticle on the Eotech, but it's all just personal opinion.

Both are great and you can't go wrong w/ either. I personally like the EOTech reticule over the Aimpoint. The battery life leaves a little something to be desired though.

Reliability is a primary consideration, and reticle is a personal choice. I have used Aimpoint T-1 and M4s and like them both. I personally prefer the EOTech reticle which I have a 551, but do not like the battery reliability. As stated above, have had batteries go dead while "off"(?). Since this is not a primary defense weapon, I open and pull batteries after every use
frown.gif

If I were to replace, it would be the XPS series with type 2 reticle. There is a choice of three reticles, battery is transverse so not affected by recoil, and uses the 123 lithium battery.

My $0.02

Kevin

Another +1 for the aimpoint.

I had an Eotech 512 for about a year and in that time went through several sets of batteries. My Aimpoint(3 years old) is still on it's original set.

I do prefer the reticle on the Eotech. But reliability is #1 in my book.

I don't own an Aimpoint but my Eotech has always performed well. I have no complaints with it.

After running about every "red dot" you can shake a stick at (Aimpoint, Trijicon TriPower, EoTech, and more) I settled on the EoTech. The EoTech seems to be the most rugged, and I prefer the 1MOA center dot over the others. I run a 512 which takes standard AA batteries, a nice feature even thou they don't tend to eat batteries.

Kirk R

We have had some problems with the few EOs our team bought. We have had zero problems with our Aimpoints. We are about to buy Aimpoints for every patrol rifle at our department based on durability and battery life. The aimpoint is a few dollars more, but the reliability is worth it.

I really like the reticle on the EO better for an entry gun, but I can't argue with reliability being more important. I'll pay a little more for something I know won't fail, plus the switch on the aimpoint is head and shoulders over the EO.

I wish they would have a love child. If EO could come out with something as reliable with 1/4 the battery life, I'd pay whatever they wanted for it.

I really like the bigger glass on the EO, I think it's easier for quicker on target shots. The aimpoint seems like it will take longer to get a target picture. I want the option for NVD because I plan on getting night vision eventually.

I still practice with iron sights and will continue, but slipping of the POI due to the sight not working properly can't be tolerated with that kinda cash being spent. The batteries going dead for no reason is wierd, but I still have irons. I would expect actions like the above from $20 sights.

I think I will get the EOTech since I can get the set up for under half of the aimpoint and I don't have to buy the mount extra. But the debate continues since I will prob not be able to get this EO. He's in a hurry to sell it so it prob won't last long.

If you choose the Eotech, I would strongly consider the LaRue
LT-110 riser mount. The EO tends to sit very low, the LT-110
will bring it up .275" and has the standard LaRue quick detach,
as well as a mount for NV or magnifier behind the optic, very nice addition.

Kirk R

I went with an EOTech EXPS3-2 and Mag. and It rocks. Both the Halo. sight & Mag. already comes with QD from EOTech.

IMG_7039.jpg

IMG_7031.jpg

Yes, a magnifier is in the future for me as well.

I haven't had an issue with batteries yet, but my 556 takes CR123's, which are supposed to have a better battery life than the AA's (if I remember correctly.) I have storage on my rifle for additional batteries, and they are the same type as my Surefire 962, which is a huge plus.

I will say though that I like the brightness adjustment on the Aimpoint better. I don't like clicking little buttons to adjust it, I would rather spin the knob.

I have the Aimpoint ML3 and the EoTech 512 (not NV compatable)and prefer the Aimpont's less cluttered reticle. But both are a good choice.

Aimpoint all the way. It's a much more trouble free optic. I know of several Eotechs that had their batteries leak on them. I don't have to turn my Aimpoint on every single time I use it. The only time I have turned off any of my Aimpoints is when I take it off the rifle.

Mad Max - Have you tested Eotech's 3x's versus the older 4x's magnification? I have an opportunity to get a 4x's but am on the fence.

i have used both and my vote is for the aimpoint all the way. i have a m3 on my benelli m4 shotgun. it works great on there with the larue quick release mount. my eotech was ok on my ar-15 but it ate up batterys like no tomorrow. still using the same battery the aimpoint came with over a year ago. i wouldnt trade my aimpoint for no other red dot sight.

I evaluated both brands of red-dot sights for a long time before I finally purchased one. I ended up buying an Aimpoint because it was easier to find threads and reviews on the Eotech having reliability or battery life issues than to find negative reviews on the Aimpoint.

For what its worth, I dropped the M4S about 5 feet onto concrete and it landed directly on the power knob. No damage, still works fine. The assembly has metal ears around the windage and elevation knobs to protect them from impacts, and from what I understand the power knob was also redesigned to isolate any shock it sustains instead of transferring it to the electronics inside the unit.

If you wonder over to light fighter, there is a lot of eotech hate going on over there. Things like battery doors coming off and ofcourse they eat batteries. That being said, my eotech has been 100%. Cant argue with it so far, although I haven't jumped out of a helicopter or anything with it.

A lot of the EOTech bashing are the same old regurgitated stories about the older models. If you are interested in an Aimpoint or EOTech, look into the newer Aimpoint M4/M4s or the EOTech XPS/EXPS. They are both great optics. I'd recommend geting your hand on one of each and see which one you like best.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sham-rock</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mad Max - Have you tested Eotech's 3x's versus the older 4x's magnification? I have an opportunity to get a 4x's but am on the fence. </div></div>

No sir..

I have not ever tested the 4X.

My opinion though...
I don't think that anyone needs more than a 3X for a carbine type rifle.

The eotech body is plastic, aimpoint metal. Eotech battery life is not even close to the aimpoint, and the eotech automatically shuts off after being on for 8 hours.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: couesnut</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The eotech body is plastic, aimpoint metal. Eotech battery life is not even close to the aimpoint, and the eotech automatically shuts off after being on for 8 hours.
</div></div>

The whole battery life thing is overrated. I tested my XPS by turning it on everyday using the 8 hour button and it lasted over 75 days, which is over the 600 hour time that EOTech claims. So unless you plan on turning your EOTech on every single day, it will last a very long time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: M@D-M@X</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sham-rock</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mad Max - Have you tested Eotech's 3x's versus the older 4x's magnification? I have an opportunity to get a 4x's but am on the fence. </div></div>

No sir..

I have not ever tested the 4X.

My opinion though...
I don't think that anyone needs more than a 3X for a carbine type rifle. </div></div>

If you plan on getting a magnifier, get the Aimpoint or the newer EOTechs. The older EOTechs have the adjustments on the mount, which is stupid. The new ones have the adjustment on the magnifier so you can center the magnifier with the reticle.

EOTechs are a good value for the price. They have a wider field of view than an aimpoint. Your peripheral vision is not blocked, giving you faster target acquisition. In combat situations, the EOTech can still function even when the screen cracks, though not ideal. I have recommended these for Law Enforcement because they can acquire close engagements fast and battery life isn't so much an issue being that they can switch out their batteries before going in.

Aimpoints have much more battery life than EOTech. This is ideal for those out in the field for long periods of time who don't want to be vulnerable to their battery running out. Aimpoint has been proven to be an extremely rugged red dot sight...and you pay for it. You could justify paying more for an aimpoint by telling yourself you won't spend as much on batteries compared to an EOTech.

Trijicons are also good CQB sights. Good glass, more magnification, and the majority of Trijicons have the fiber optic daytime illumination. It's always on forever...and you pay for those benefits. With the fiber optic units you're never buying batteries (the tritium has a shelf life of 15 years).

Elcan SpecterDR's are also good CQB sights. SpecterDR's have a more forgiving eye-relief than other AR15 platforms and have a wide field of view for a CQB optic. Good glass, good daytime bright red dot, and a unique design with a flip switch to go instantly from 1-4 (increasing your speed when encountering multiple engagements at different distances). They are great units...and you pay for that.

In my opinion, the sliding scale matches the price scale: EOTech, Aimpoint, Trijicon, Elcan with pros and cons for each. They're all good value and you get what you pay for, which is why we usually have all of them in-stock.

In the near future, the CQB market is going get shaken up a little bit when Premier Reticles, Schmidt & Bender, and Leupold release their 1-8's. Each of them have their own spin on the 1-8 with pros and cons to each...and again, you will pay for what you get.

When looking for your next CQB Optic make sure to know what you're going to use it for and what your budget is.

Thanks,

Mike @ CST

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: couesnut</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The eotech body is plastic, aimpoint metal. Eotech battery life is not even close to the aimpoint, and the eotech automatically shuts off after being on for 8 hours.
</div></div>

The chassis is plastic but they all come with metal shrouds.

Having run both Eotechs and Aimpoints for decades now I have gone exclusively with Aimpoint. Here is why battery life with the Aimpoint is great I leave mine on 24/7 and the advantage being when I go to guns I do not have to turn anything on when I clear the truck, just run a round into the chamber and into the fight (we are required to carry our rifles in the "patrol ready" condition, magazine inserted bolt forward on an empty chamber, weapon on safe). The Aimpoint has proven to be much more durable as well. I sent both Eotechs I had back twice each for reparis and never really trusted them. There is some credence to the field of view being less obstructed but with some training the Aimpoint is just as fast. Personally I like just the red dot and think the Eotech reticle is too busy. I suggest that you try both before buying and determine how much you will really be using it and care about having to turn it on when needed.

Ferrari to Lambo..

I'm an AIMPoint guy my self but My friend has an EOTech and they are great optics also. It just depends on the look and use you want for your gun.

My Eotech has a simple dot. I prefer a dot vs a reticle for my use....set up for CQB to 100 I like the wide field of view of the Eotech. Flip down the magnifier and it is a decent 300yd sight.

So I have no personal experience with the Eotechs but unlike some who love em or hate em I don't have a problem with them. However I do love my Aimpoint T-1. The dot is quick for me to pick up and works great as intended. The Eotechs may be just as nice but I went the T-1 route for extremely long battery life and couldn't be happier. Mine sits atop a Larue tall mount but I'm sure many of the other mount options would also be fine. As far as the micros costing more than the Eotechs I registered for member pricing at Botach Defense and picked one up for $380.00. I couldn't find an Eotech any cheaper. On a side note some folks have had trouble with Botach but my T-1 arrived in North Carolina from California in about 4 days. In short Eotechs may be fine but I'm very happy with my T-1 that even cost a little less.

With the XPS-2 and 3x mag do i really need the LaRue mount ? Also, on the Eotech is it possible to set a default brightness so that level comes on each time rather than having to adjust it ? thx

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Spurs</div><div class="ubbcode-body">With the XPS-2 and 3x mag do i really need the LaRue mount ? Also, on the Eotech is it possible to set a default brightness so that level comes on each time rather than having to adjust it ? thx </div></div>

The Larue mount is definitely one of the better ones. The Samson is pretty good also. The default EOTech brightness is at setting 12. You can't change it. It is a good default setting.